IDPA near Alexandria

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stickslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    The only sanctioned IDPA club in Louisiana is in Princeton(?), LA., Jerry Miculek's club. There's an IDPA "like" match in Amite every month but it's very often more of a practice session for the IPSC crowd.

For what it's worth, I think the gulf coast would benefit from an IDPA affiliated club somewhere on the I-10, I-12 corridor.

I'd help organize if there was enough interest.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Not really schedulled matches either but I thought that new range they just opened in Alexandria was going to be heaving practice matches twice a week as well for USPSA, so I'm sure if enough people participate it wouldnt be hard to organize something up in that area.

stickslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    An affiliated club located somewhere between Baton Rouge and Covington would draw people from Lake Charles to Mobile....I bet!

As it is, if I want to shoot my three matches to be able to shoot at the nationals, or just want to shoot a classifier, I have to drive from Hammond at least four hours to Texas, N. La., or N. MS.

Maybe the new range coming to the Covington area will respond to the need.

I'd be glad to help organize if the opportunity is provided.

henry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I live in Alexandria and there are no IDPA matches. There is a new indoor range, but they have no IDPA matches there.
    The Clark's range is the only one that I know of.

latech15

Master class Hero
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Pineville
    I shoot in a uspsa club in Alex. I don't know of anywhere that has practice here twice a week. I'd be open to the practice as well as the idea club though. Set it up.

Rig Magician

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Houma
    Spanky, you are probably right. But it is good fun and good practice. We do have several guys who shoot those come out and shoot with us. They are having a cherity shoot this month that will be good to attend.
    Mark

DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I shoot in a uspsa club in Alex. I don't know of anywhere that has practice here twice a week. I'd be open to the practice as well as the idea club though. Set it up.

USPSA in Alexandria? Is it an affiliated club, or do they hold "USPSA style matches"
    I think I'm missing something.

Nevermind:
    Unfortunately (as far as I'm aware) they are neither USPSA or IDPA affiliated. If they were either I'd make the drive.

Last edited:

columbo

La CHP Instructor #468
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Alexandria
    I bet that Cenla Sports shooters...

...would really like to hear about the people that would "make the drive" if they were affiliated. Might just fill up the tank, so to speak, for the drive toward IDPA. Just a thought, right Henry?

DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    ...would really like to hear about the people that would "make the drive" if they were affiliated. Might just fill up the tank, so to speak, for the drive toward IDPA. Just a thought, right Henry?

I would make the drive if they were USPSA affiliated. I'd drive for the IDPA experience, but less often. This may deserve it's own thread; the state has kind-of a practical handgun void in the cenla area.

columbo

La CHP Instructor #468
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Alexandria
    A thread would be cool...

...but I was thinking perhaps...an email.

css@cenlasportshooters.com

Sorry. I should have said so. I'm tired.

oh yeah, while I'm thinking (at all) they have an open charity match this sat June 5th @ the Rapides Parish Sheriff's Range. $10. to enter. That's what I'm told. I'll be there.

Last edited:

henry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    Central Louisiana

We shoot USPSA style matches without all the catagories and classifications.We do observe the USPSA safety rules.
    Our format is simple, your score is the time it takes you to complete the course of fire plus any penalty time added for shots outside the "A" zone.
    We use IDPA targets and score just what the target says; "A" zone = 0 time added, the next scoring zone adds one second per shot, and the outer scoring zone adds three seconds per shot. All of our courses are revolver neutral with a maximum course round count of 24. An average match consists of 75 rounds or more.
    The bulk of our shooters are not competitors in USPSA or IDPA, they are interested in just being more proficient with their handguns. We made a vow when we started this club that we would not exclude anyone because they did not have the right equipment. We do not have classifications, so we seperate our competitors by the equipment they use; Hi-Cap= 11 rounds or more capacity, Limited = 10 rounds or less capacity, Revolver ( 6 or 8 round guns), rim-fire, and conceal carry class ( competitor must use CCW type equipment and draw from concealment). We do not have "power factors". As of now, we are not seperating iron sights and optic sighted guns due to the lack of many optic sighted pistols. If a competitor does not have a holster, they can start from the "Gun Ready" position with the muzzle pointed down at a 45 degree angle.
    Our club is a great place for the person who owns a handgun and wants to get more familiar with it without having to dive off into serious competition and buying all the equipment needed for USPSA style shooting.

columbo

La CHP Instructor #468
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Alexandria
    Knew I could spark a reply...

Great bunch of guys. It's a fun day of shooting. Safe and fun. You guys from "out there" should come by. It would be fun to meet ya.

Did I say fun too much?

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    I've really enjoyed shooting with CSS. I primarily use it to become more comfortable and proficient with my carry weapon/equipment.

latech15

Master class Hero
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Pineville
    The only rule at CSS is that if you are better than us you aren't welcome. HA HA

I think I am the only guy there who shoots true open on a regular basis, most of the guns would qualify for production. Not much alteration with the exception of a small few.

Spanky, If I can drive to EAPS, you can drive to CSS. Get on up here!

henry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Our matches consist of some USPSA type field courses, stationary classifier type courses and maybe a Steel Challenge course thrown in for fun.
    We also have a .22LR rim-fire steel match periodically, where you are given a "PAR" time to knock down thirty 4" plates at various yardages. At this match, we do a rifle relay and then a pistol relay.
    Match fees are $5.00 for members and $10.00 for non-members, first time shooting with us is FREE.
    We have an open club where the members vote on everything from the type of matches we shoot, to what targets we buy. Every month we have a "poll" question on our website where we get input from everyone on the direction we take as a club.

Top Bottom