Improving Accuracy of a Factory Gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRACT Optics

Feb 22, 2023
    NC

To hear a 4th generation custom gun builder say "Not everyone needs a custom gun" shows the confidence Bobby Hart of Hart Custom Rifles has in his shop to help anyone seeking to improve their accuracy no matter their budget. "There are definite things you can do to a factory gun to help improve accuracy without changing out the scope, the barrel or the stock" Bobby explains. Read More...
    1) Lap Bolt Lugs
    Bobby states that if the "bolt lugs are not in 100% contact when you fire the gun it torques." Relying on one lug will cause a misalignment with the chamber and produce poor results.​
    2) Touch-up Crown & Adjust the Trigger
    Most of the triggers from factory guns are set at 7-8 pounds. Too heavy according to Bobby who personally recommends a nice and clean 3.5 pound trigger for greater accuracy.​
    3) Lapping Your Barrel
    This is a big deal for accuracy. If you have pitting within the barrel it‘s not going to engage and will give you poor bullet flight. If your old gun just doesn‘t shoot as well as it once did, you could have rust or copper build up in the throat area.​
    4) Lap Your Scope Rings
    Bobby feels strongly that lapping your scope rings is critical for the scope to sit perpendicular to the axis of the bore. By taking this extra step it also creates a stress free environment so the rings don't pinch down on the scope tube...​
    5) Bedding & Free Floating the Barrel
    When you bed a rifle barrel you're physically marrying the action and the barrel to the stock. The only thing the screws are doing is holding the barreled action in place. No longer requiring the screws to hold left and right and longitudinally.​

Xeon64

Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Handloading and finding the load "that" gun likes. My 1982 Rem 700 factory condition went from 3" groups at 100yd to dime size with the right hand load. Combine handloads with everything mentioned above and you will have a really acurrate gun.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Handloading and finding the load "that" gun likes. My 1982 Rem 700 factory condition went from 3" groups at 100yd to dime size with the right hand load. Combine handloads with everything mentioned above and you will have a really acurrate gun.

THIS!
    And try several factory loads and bullet weights if possible. My late 80’s Ruger M-77 in .270 for example. I found out in the early 90’s that the cheapest ammo I could get ($7/box 150gr S&B) would put them through the same hole at 100 yards. I bought enough to fill 2 ammo cans from Sportsman’s guide and called it a day.
    Also not mentioned that I see: for you hunters that rely on that one shot. When zeroing your rifle/scope, don’t keep shooting and chasing the impact point if it keeps moving. Let the gun cool completely before the next shot. You want to see where it’s hitting on a cold barrel because that’s how it’ll be when you’re pulling the trigger on game. Using a sled should get you there in 2 shots. Lock it down and hit the paper, then lock it down on the bull’s eye again and adjust the scope to the bullet hole. Then a follow up shot on the bull’s eye. Don’t waste good ammo son!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom