Interest in competitive shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeBurke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2017
    Delcambre, LA
    Shooting High Power rifle matches has been a passion of mine for years. Recently I became President and Match Director for the South Louisiana High Power Club. We shoot at the Ascension Parish Sheriff's range once a month, generally on the fourth Sunday. The first match of the day is a 50 shot National Match course High Power match that consist of the following:

Slow Fire Standing 10 shots in 10 minutes 200 yards SR Target
    Rapid fire Sitting 10 shots in 60 seconds 200 yards SR Target
    Rapid Fire Prone 10 shots in 70 seconds 200 yards SR-42 Target
    Slow Fire Prone 20 shots in 20 minutes 200 yards MR-52 target

After the completion of that match we shoot an F-Class/Prone/Tactical match at 300 yards. You can take up to 5 shots for sighters and there are 15 rounds for record. The record rounds must be fired in a 15-minute period. This match is fired from a prone position and you can use a sling, bipod, or rest for support. Just about any rifle up to .35 caliber is legal, unfortunately the rules do not allow for muzzle brakes. Flash suppressors are fine. If you shoot the Tactical class suppressors are fine. Entry fee is only a couple of dollars and you can find out how you and your rifle perform at 300 yards.

One of my goals is to increase monthly attendance. We have added a couple of Garand matches to the calendar for this year, shooters really seem to enjoy these matches. Also we are working to obtain electronic targets for the matches.

I believe a good way to start shooting High Power would be to come to a match and observe if you have not been to one. You could shoot the F-Class/Prone match afterwards. If you have an AR-15, a good scope, and a bipod you are good for tactical, you can compete in F-Class shooting a bolt gun with a rest or bipod with just about any scope. Where else, for a couple of dollars, can you get range time, shoot twenty rounds, and compete for a prize?

I always post match bulletins and results in the "Competition" forum on this site.

Call or email, I will gladly answer any questions. If you are interested in shooting whether it is a Garand, bolt Gun, or AR contact me. We will fit you in one of the competitions.

Mike Burke
    337-380-8120
    southlahighpower@hotmail.com

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom