interested in buying my first AR-15 need advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El Ducko

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    looking for a good used one is there anything I should look for or certain brands not to go after? I don't really know anything about them but hopefully I can get some quick advice thanks everyone

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Spikes tactical, stag, daniel defence are my top choices. My m&p lower was wore out after 1000rnds. Friends bushmaster's barrel began to sag at 2000 rounds and I have no experience with any other brands. But I have been told that palmetto and bcm are great products.

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    Need more info. Ask yourself the questions below.

1. What am I going to use it for? Home defense, range toy, long range shooting, hunting, etc.
    2. Where am I going to shoot it? Indoor, outdoor short range, outdoor long range
    3. What style do I like? Flat top, or carry handle
    3. What caliber do I want? 22lr, 223/5.56, 308, etc.
    4. Do I want to get a complete rifle or do I want to put one together?
    5. Do I want a lightweight one or does weight not matter?

Ask yourself some or all of the above questions and you will give the experts on here a better idea of what to recommend. Also, research as much as you can. If you put your location you could probably get people close to you who may even let you shoot one or have one for sale. Lastly, don't shy away from buying the upper and lower separately. That is a good way to keep costs down and get exactly what you want.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Spikes tactical, stag, daniel defence are my top choices. My m&p lower was wore out after 1000rnds. Explain? Friends bushmaster's barrel began to sag at 2000 rounds Explain? 2,000 rounds full-auto Beta-C dumps back to back, what? and I have no experience with any other brands. But I have been told that palmetto and bcm are great products.

Gotta hear more about that.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I would put money down that, 1, clean the barrel, it'll shoot better, 2 check the sights/ scope mount/rings, somethings loose

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I would put money down that, 1, clean the barrel, it'll shoot better, 2 check the sights/ scope mount/rings, somethings loose

+1 KZ45. The lower receiver on a AR15 just isn't a stressed part to any great degree. I remember in 1988 using a M16 A1 from the Vietnam era in the Pennsylvania Nat Guard. The lower wasn't worn out. It had some hard use before getting to me.

Dave

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've only heard of lowers getting beat up when in use with 9mm uppers. That's strange if it was with .223 or 5.56. My M&P15 probably has close to 1000rnds and is in great condition.

For the OP, I'm a huge Noveske fan.

Cajunlady

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Chauvin
    After hearing excellent things about DSA in the field of FALs, I decided to try their AR mid-length flat top upper and I've been totally satisfied so far. I don't know if money is a concern, but they also manufacture and sell complete rifles, starting under $800, all parts Made in USA.

http://www.dsarms.com/AR15-M16--Rifles/products/10/

Be careful, ARs are addictive.:boink:

JC

My neighbor has an AR15 and you're right they are addictive. He let me shoot it once and I had so much fun. We had to stop cause we ran out of ammo. His is made by Colt, how good are those?

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I can't elaborate on the bushmaster it wasn't my gun and I wasn't there everytime he shot it. He told me he only had 2000 rounds through it and the barrel was definitely beginning to sag in front of the gas block. My m&p supposedly only had 600 rounds through it when i got it. Ishot about 400 65 grain bullets through it after that cleaning after every time I went shooting. The upper and lower had about 1/16 inch of play in it at this point. I tried the upper on a friends dpms lower and it fit tight, I then tried his upper on my lower and it still had about the same slack. I determined that my lower was wearing rapidly and since have not been satisfied with m&p's my spikes rifle has no slack after 1000 rounds and my friends spikes/daniel defense has none after 500that rounds with a SSAR stock and about 200 single fire. This is just my experience and I'm sure others have had no problems out of theirs or maybe some have had problems out of brands I listed I liked. The ar world is so big there are bound to he good and bad products from all manufactures just so happens with smith and bushmaster I experienced the bad.

Last edited:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My neighbor has an AR15 and you're right they are addictive. He let me shoot it once and I had so much fun. We had to stop cause we ran out of ammo. His is made by Colt, how good are those?

My DSA upper is currently mounted on a Colt SPII lower and I've had a ton of fun with it. That said, I think the new Colts may be a bit overpriced, but someone on here probably knows more about them and may be able to elaborate. My lower was handed down to me, but if I were buying a new one today, I'd probably go with something else... Just my preference though.

As far as running out of ammo goes, don't forget that you can pick up a .223 --> 22LR conversion kit and shoot all day for under a nickel per round instead of 30 to 40 cents per round!

Last edited:

Cajunlady

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Chauvin
    My DSA upper is currently mounted on a Colt SPII lower and I've had a ton of fun with it. That said, I think the new Colts may be a bit overpriced, but someone on here probably knows more about them and may be able to elaborate. My lower was handed down to me, but if I were buying a new one today, I'd probably go with something else... Just my preference though.

As far as running out of ammo goes, don't forget that you can pick up a .223 --> 22LR conversion kit and shoot all day for under a nickel per round instead of 30 to 40 cents per round!

Thanks for the info, apparently he's not up on conversion kits or just didn't bother. I'll certainly mention this to him.

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    i'm in the process of building my spikes for under 800 dollars including shipping and ffl fees. they're a great deal and great quality. other then that ive only owned a bushmaster which shot awesome after 1000+rounds. it was just the A2 upper which i didnt want. i wanted to mount an aimpernt to it. other then spikes the colt LE6920 is pretty much what all others are compared to but they are by no means the best. you're pretty much paying for the name

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom