Interesting old cartridge

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Many years ago, my grandfather gave me an old, unusual, unfired cartridge. It is a very short, fairly large caliber rimfire. I came across it last night, and did some research online. It turns out to be a .41 Derringer Rimfire, made by the Union Metallic Cartridge company (who later merged with Remington, hence Remington UMC) around 1885!
    Here's the link: http://www.ammo-one.com/41-SHORT-R-F.html

Neat, eh?

Mine is like those pictured, except its case stamp is "U" and the lead is completely white from oxidation.
    It's worth about $5.00 $6.95 according to the collector sites.

Last edited:

WILDCATT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    MANNING SC
    41 rim fire

that was a pretty common gun/cart in the 1870s/1942s.for defense.I had a remington.in those days you did not want to get shot any where as you could get gangerene and die.an arm wound was dangeous. :)

billy82269

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    DeQuincy, LA
    I shot some of those a few years ago in my Grandmothers Remington Derringer. we have about 15 rounds or so left. I had no idea I was shooting $5.00 rounds. Ammo was about 60 or so years old and all went bang when I pulled the trigger. I swear I actually saw the bullet leave the barrel, but it was pretty accurate. I hit a metal pie plate at about 10 yrds. all four rounds I fired.

Top Bottom