Intro to Archery:

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brgunguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    im a pretty goood archer and i love the sport. i killed 2 does last season with my matthews bow. its a hobby that takes a little time to learn but once you get good you simply love it! id say you could be a good shot in a day or two. if you are wanting to purshase a new bow what kind of budget are you looking at? I have a matthews fx2 bow. I love matthews bows since they have won more championships than any other bow company.

ReilleysMom32

Drunkie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    NOLA
    I used to bow hunt a lot more in high school and it is really rewarding. You're right, there is more versatility (deer, turkey, etc) and it's more challenging to hunt with a bow than a gun.

I'm trying to get my hunting equipment down here and I'd want to get together and practice with other people. Not sure when the seasons are, but being that I'm pretty sure I'm going back to working days, I'll have more time on my hands :)

brgunguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    that kool that you use to bow hunt. they have a little practice range here in baton rouge on highland road. and usually bow season starts oct 1st through jan31st.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Sounds good.

My cousin is an avid bow hunter but its hard to track him down for lessons/advice.

If I can get away with $250ish for a first bow I would be happy. I see a lot that are more...a few around that range.

brgunguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Sounds good.

My cousin is an avid bow hunter but its hard to track him down for lessons/advice.

If I can get away with $250ish for a first bow I would be happy. I see a lot that are more...a few around that range.

yea i paid 300 for mine used. look on louisianasportsman.com and you will find some good deals for bows,u just might have to talk em down on the prices..lol

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Sounds good, I'll take all the help/lessons people give me. :)

First thing is go to a couple local Archery Shops and talk to the guys in the Pro Shop. See if they will take the time to talk to you about the sport and listen to them. If they take the time to talk to you and explain everything then you found a good place to do business with. Places like Bass Pro and Cabella's are ok but better choices would be your Mom & Pop shops. The shop I used for my bow recently closed due to some lease problems. I'm hoping he'll open back up soon at another location. :( I like Bowie Outfitters though.

How's your upper body strength? Adult bows have a draw weight of 50 to 70 pounds.

There's a lot of skill involved in the sport but your archery pro shop will set your bow up and tune it to the point that any problems or errors will be in the shooter.

**Also - if the rain holds off there's a 3D Archery Tournament at Waddill Wildlife Refuge on N.Foster Rd in Baton Rouge. You may want to come out and be a spectator.

Top Bottom