Is this typical of the 7.62x39 round?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Today I went to the APSO range to shoot my converted Saiga 7.62x39 for the first time to sight it in. Once I got it sighted in pretty good at 50 yards I tried the 100 yard target. With the round hitting really close to center of target at 50 yards I found my shots to be landing about 2-3 inches low at 100 yards. Is this about right for the round? If so then that is a drastic difference in arc from the .223 which I am used to shooting. Is this typical or was I way off aim?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    7.62x39 traj jp.JPG

Yes, this is typical...

Screaming Eagle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Heel of the Boot
    Looks to me from this chart that it ought to be nearly the same at 50 and 100 yards. The way I'm reading the chart, it shouldn't be low until 150 yards or so. Am I misunderstanding something?

chevydriver350

Young Padawong
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    kenner
    yea its to heavy of a bullet for the standard 124 grain charge. my sks has the same problem. a freind of mine is a no swat officer for 34 years said try some not so cheap ammo and try to find some hotter ammo. iv read that cabellas has some remington 7.62 thats like 182 grain or sumthin like that. ima pick some up today and ill let you know how well it actually works.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Also know that because the sights sit on the gas tube and not on the barrel, at 10 feet you need to aim a little high, say if you were going to make a headshot I would aim for between the brows.

Top Bottom