It's now official- Obama Proposed Gun Ban

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Pelosi throws cold water on weapons ban
    By Mike Soraghan
    Posted: 02/26/09 11:59 AM [ET]

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news...n-reviving-assault-weapon-ban-2009-02-26.html

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi tossed cold water on the prospect of reinstating the assault weapons ban, highlighting Democrats’ reluctance to take on gun issues.

Attorney General Eric Holder raised the prospect Wednesday that the administration would push to bring back the ban. But Pelosi (D-Calif.) indicated on Thursday that he never talked to her. The Speaker gave a flat “no” when asked if she had talked to administration officials about the ban.

“On that score, I think we need to enforce the laws we have right now,” Pelosi said at her weekly news conference. “I think it's clear the Bush administration didn’t do that.”

Outside of the dig at the recent Republican president, that phrase is the stock line of those who don’t want to pass new gun control laws, such as the National Rifle Association.

The White House declined to comment on Holder's remarks, referring reporters to the Department of Justice. The DoJ did not respond to The Hill's request for comment.

oldtexan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    http://thehill.com/leading-the-news...-opposing-weapons-ban-revival-2009-02-26.html

So now Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid joins House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in publicly opposing the reinstatement of the AWB. Wow.

With Reid and Pelosi opposed, virtually all Republicans opposed, and probably more Dems opposed (two other Dem Senators, Jon Tester of Montana and Mark Warner of Virginia, already publicly on record as opposed), I just don't see how Obama gets this passed. I don't even think this thing can come to a vote on the floor of either chamber with both Reid and Pelosi opposed.

This seems at face value to make Obama look like an error-prone rookie, or that his AG is a guy who has a very undisciplined mouth, or both. This also shows us that the Dems aren't a single monolithic entity, always marching in lock-step to a leftist agenda.

Last edited:

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    “On that score, I think we need to enforce the laws we have right now,” Pelosi said

We may have to watch this statement. If after so many years they want to try an AWB, they can say the current laws are not enough. Them Dems are some sly ole foxes.

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    i wish the news would report some of this so people could relax a little,,,so i could actually buy some ammo to go target practice,,,,i havent been shooting because its to damn hard to replace the ammo right now...basterds

bayoutrigger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Alexandria, La.
    i wish the news would report some of this so people could relax a little,,,so i could actually buy some ammo to go target practice,,,,i havent been shooting because its to damn hard to replace the ammo right now...basterds

Exactly. There is a "fear created" shortage of firearms/ammo the same as past gasoline shortages were created when everyone was constantly "topping off" their tanks. But what are you going to do? I'm stocking up just in case. I think the real problem will be a "temporary" ban on the sale of firearms and ammo later this year when people realize what "change we can believe in" actually means and the USA is bankrupt. I think you will see some real civil unrest. Just look at the Rick Santelli tirade on the floor of the Chicago Board Of Trade last week. These are white collar guys talking about a "Chicago Tea Party". You don't have to read between the lines that Chicago Tea Party could lead toward some sort of "revolution" just like the Boston Tea Party did. I think Obama will use the upcoming civil unrest to "temporarily stop the sale of firearms and ammo.

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    i think calling for a temprary stop would open a can of worms all the way around and push this issue to a head one way or another...

i have 1500 .223 and about 400 .45 and the only thing i feel comfortable shoting is my p22 because thats .22lr i can easily replace and its bothering the **** out of me..

they just showed the tea party on the news this morning it was a small blip of a story and they made it look like a fun day at the waterfront not a protest,,people were smiling and threw a over sized tbag in the water...looked silly and nothing to be taked to heart.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Before the world ends in 2012 all h_ll will be breaking loose all across the U.S.

As the sheriff said in "Blazing Saddles" when he arrived in town and they were gonna hang him (he took hisself hostage), "Do what he say, do what he say", and he slowly walked backwards to the sheriff's office still holding his own gun to his head as his own hostage.

Say what??

bayoutrigger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Alexandria, La.
    Didn't know they had the tea party already. Not surprised there wasn't much too it. This summer is when the real "tea party" will occur when unemployment is up to 10-15% or higher, we start having shortages because of inventory reductions by companies to save money, more and more state and local govt's start cutting back on services because of increasing deficits and generally things are no better despite congress incurring massive debts than can only be repaid by equally massive taxes increases. The silent majority are just starting to wake up on what's going on in this country. This summer when things will literally and figuratively heat up, that's when I think you will see the real tea party along with some "fireworks" to go with it.

oldtexan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Well, watch out, cause they've got 4 years to get their sh1t together.

Kinda. Nancy Pelosi knows that every single member of the House has to stand for re-election again only 20 months from now. Many Dems, maybe most of them, would love to be able to pass a new AWB if they could do so without paying a political cost at the ballot box next time around. But memories of them losing the House of Representatives in the 1994 elections shortly after passing the '94 ban are still stinging them. I believe that holding onto power is more important to most of them than passing a new ban.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid also has to stand reelection in 20 months, as do several more of his Dem colleagues in the Senate. So he has to count the political cost to him personally of a new ban. Interestingly, Reid voted against the original ban in 1994 and voted against re-authorizing it in 2004.

twistedridge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Gonzales
    Yeah I agree with bayoutrigger Mary Landreui I beleive is how you spell it. Was in complete support of the bail out after she was called and asked to come and have a sit down with some of the upper teir peopl of the company I work for. They asked if she knew exactle whatwas in the bill she said yes. My boss said really so you support open card election for union represenatives as well as the employee free choice act. She said and I "I had no idea that those previsions were in that bill".
    Watch em they are too sly!!!!

Top Bottom