Jobs that allow you to carry concealed without permit?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I was wondering if there are certain job titles/classes/descriptions/types of work that would allow an individual to carry concealed without the need (or at least privileged to not need) a CCW? If there are, what would they be and where could I find out documentation?

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    If you mean "anywhere" then law enforcement is the only one I know about.

If you mean "at work" then (from my understanding) if you are on private property and the owner of the business allows you to carry then you can. For example: Your boss owns a parts shop and he allows his employees to carry. I dont believe you need a CC permit while in the store.

Can someone in the know confirm or deny that?

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge

If you mean "at work" then (from my understanding) if you are on private property and the owner of the business allows you to carry then you can. For example: Your boss owns a parts shop and he allows his employees to carry. I dont believe you need a CC permit while in the store.

I don't believe this to be true. I could be wrong, but I'd get some info on it from someone from the LSP CCW section before offering that out there.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I stand corrected: http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/louisiana.aspx

CARRYING

The state of Louisiana recognizes open carry. No person shall carry a concealed firearm intentionally without a permit unless one is a peace officer in performance of his or her official duties. The Deputy Secretary of Public Safety Services of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections shall issue a concealed handgun permit to any citizen who qualifies for a permit. Any information in any application for a concealed handgun permit shall be held confidential and shall not be subject to any public records request.

Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge

I don't believe this to be true. I could be wrong, but I'd get some info on it from someone from the LSP CCW section before offering that out there.

Yea, I mean other than on a business whose owner allows you to carry. I overheard the other day that certain professions might be allowed certain immunities, namely carrying without the need for an actual permit. It intrigued me, so I figured I'd ask the board. Any help on it is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge

CARRYING

The state of Louisiana recognizes open carry. No person shall carry a concealed firearm intentionally without a permit unless one is a peace officer in performance of his or her official duties. The Deputy Secretary of Public Safety Services of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections shall issue a concealed handgun permit to any citizen who qualifies for a permit. Any information in any application for a concealed handgun permit shall be held confidential and shall not be subject to any public records request.

Alright. Well that pretty much sums it up. Thank you!

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)

CARRYING

That is not 100% correct, thats what the NRA says about it but we already received a clarification on a thread that I posted weeks ago.

I will not post a link to it so I dont "start" trouble again but I will quote it for clarification purpose.

QUOTE:

It centers around the way the state views people and their personal private property, as evidenced in statutes like LARS 14:95.2, where it states
    ...(5) Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

I always said that you cannot take that clause from 14:95.2 and try to apply it to 14:95 because they were separate laws.

While that general "rule" is correct, in this particular case, the fact that the statute specifically defines what a constitutionally protected area is (the car), then that fact can be applied to other statutes as it is applying the constitution to a statute rather than the other way around. Basically, that statement, within 14:95.2, shows the legislative intent of the law. Since the legislative intent is known, that same intent can be applied to other similar laws.

Now, we must understand that it is in the courtroom that these issues will come to bare. Many LEO will not have this level of knowledge, and it is unreasonable for us to expect them to. It is still possible that you could be arrested for it, but you would have strong ground to support a defense if the DA would even accept the charges, and even further if a court would actually find you guilty.

BOTTOM LINE- Our state holds the rights of a person's private property to be absolute, therefore, you are much more protected on your personal property, or in it if it is a car, boat, etc, than when you are not. That does not mean you can do whatever you want, but it would appear you can conceal carry in your car or home or on personal property without a permit.

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    That is not 100% correct, thats what the NRA says about it but we already received a clarification on a thread that I posted weeks ago.

I will not post a link to it so I dont "start" trouble again but I will quote it for clarification purpose.

QUOTE:

It centers around the way the state views people and their personal private property, as evidenced in statutes like LARS 14:95.2, where it states
    ...(5) Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

I always said that you cannot take that clause from 14:95.2 and try to apply it to 14:95 because they were separate laws.

While that general "rule" is correct, in this particular case, the fact that the statute specifically defines what a constitutionally protected area is (the car), then that fact can be applied to other statutes as it is applying the constitution to a statute rather than the other way around. Basically, that statement, within 14:95.2, shows the legislative intent of the law. Since the legislative intent is known, that same intent can be applied to other similar laws.

Now, we must understand that it is in the courtroom that these issues will come to bare. Many LEO will not have this level of knowledge, and it is unreasonable for us to expect them to. It is still possible that you could be arrested for it, but you would have strong ground to support a defense if the DA would even accept the charges, and even further if a court would actually find you guilty.

BOTTOM LINE- Our state holds the rights of a person's private property to be absolute, therefore, you are much more protected on your personal property, or in it if it is a car, boat, etc, than when you are not. That does not mean you can do whatever you want, but it would appear you can conceal carry in your car or home or on personal property without a permit.

That is getting WAY off the original question. He wants a job, that gives him permission to carry concealed "anywhere" like a LEO, but not having any form of ccw permit.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Besides the various forms of LEOs, these are a few more.

Judges, constables, coroners, district attorneys and designated assistant district attorneys, United States attorneys and assistant United States attorneys and investigators, and justices of the peace can carry concealed without a permit when they are are certified by the Council on Peace Officer Standards and Training.

See LA RS 14:95 (H)

RocknRolla

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Abita Springs, La
    There are certain positions in the military that grant CC privileges, but they're not jobs you just apply for. Even cops are not legally able to carry in bars in Louisiana unless they're on duty.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom