Kim Potter, ex-Minnesota officer, found guilty of manslaughter in death of Daunte Wright

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    You fight like you trained and train like you fight . I know it's hard to comprehend if you have never been in that situation but your muscle memory and trained response to the threat is doing one thing while your brain is doing another. I'm not mentally challenged , well at least not severely but I have been in stressful situations where my brain said to do one thing but my instincts or training did another . Would have, could have, should have is always after the fact . Yesterday a 14 year old was accidentally shot through a dressing room wall , I don't know if the cop was a jerk or not . Should he/ she have taken better aim or not even shot ? I don't know the circumstances but I know it was tragic and hope and pray the situation is investigated fairly and politics is left completely out of it . The percentage of good cops versus bad cops will be more leaning towards bad or unqualified if we keep making it hard on the ones who are trying the best they can in bad situations .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk
    Your responses are well thought. Thank you! I actually have been in several bad situations and made my own mistakes.
    I will give a couple of examples.
    In one instance, my government issued Adventure Line M-16 magazine failed to feed. Instead of taping the forward assist, I did tap, rack, bang as I was trained in a handgun class. My civilian training kicked in instead of my Marine Corps training.
    The other example was a 103M transport call. These are usually trouble free because the person has consented to go to the hospital. This one changed his mind after I arrived and did a bonzai charge with a golf club(#3 driver.) My pistol was drawn before I knew it, but I did not fire. We fought each other after I managed to get the club away from the old man and was able to reholster my pistol(practice and muscle memory works well there.) After taking a few punches to the face and getting help from 3 of his neighbors, I managed to cuff the old man. He even kicked me in the chest while putting him in the car. While writing the report at the old 3rd District station on Moss st, full-time officers told me one by one "I would have shot him." Was that a mistake? I sleep better at night with my decision that day. This was the incident that caused my Wife to make me stop volunteering as a Reserve Officer. She was also tired of me working tons of hours during Mardi Gras for free.

Riverc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Torbert,La.
    Sure glad I never considered being a cop i would most likely be in prison now. I'm not taking up for either side but the way I see some people act when confronted by police they have no one to blame but themselves when they get shot.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I am not familiar with body cams, but I was instructed to say what needed to be said in front of witnesses during and after a shooting at a municipal training academy.
    You know nothing about me, so your insults fell flat. If you are going to insult people here, then get to know who you are insulting so that your insults actually connect.
    Just reading this.

Cool story bro (rolling eyes).

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    I feel like she got a raw deal, but if I was the family of the man who was killed, I would be happy that justice is served.

I am not so sure "justice is served" From the videos/body cams it was obvious that she immediately knew that she had made a serious mistake, and we ALL make mistakes. The guy shot apparently had warrents for his arrest and he was trying to evaade arrest, how far should police go to conclude an arrest?

It's going to be interesting to see how the case in California will play out where the police in the process of killing a guy with a lock on a chain who was beating people, shot, missed and the bullet went through a dressing room wall where a mother and her daughter were hiding, hit and killed the daughter.

I certainly would not want to be a police officer now, too many arm chair judges. We had a family friend up in NE Louisiana who had been in law enforcement, state police, then town marshall of a small town for all of his life until retiring. He was unfortunately killed at age 96 when someone rear ended his truck when he was driving down the highway, Talking to his widow a couple of years later she said that he commmented that the way things were now he did not know if he could do the job. He once told my father and I that he had killed several in the line of duty, and that they were types that just needed killing.

DarcMac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    I have long thought that law enforcement should be adequately monitored because, as an earlier poster commented; there are those who act like they are the law, not just law enforcement. That said; I do believe that the majority of police are good guys doing the right thing consistently. However; the recent trend to put all cops under a microscope and "get them" for any and all actions they take is beyond ridiculous and can only lead to bad consequences. Everything is judged by unqualified civilians who often either only have a fragment of the story, or who disregard the truth for their own political purposes.
    I think body cams are a good idea, but they should be monitored by those qualified to do so, not the general public who have no idea what police work entails. If improprieties are observed, the matter should be investigated. But to release raw footage, especially just fragments - to the media before any misdeeds are evident, much less a trial has been held, is a ridiculous idea. The leftist media consistently shows bias against officers by editing footage and hyping the skewed results to demonize officers. This only serves to anger the weak-minded and reactionary of the public. Then, the riots commence. The Michael Brown story is a prime example. For months, all we heard was "Hands up, don't shoot", but much later, after many other lives were destroyed, including the officer who was unfairly demonized, the truth came out and we discovered everything the media spread was a lie.
    The worst part of all this is when juries are afraid to acquit someone who they actually believe is innocent because they are being threatened by the lawless mob outside the courthouse. I'm not saying this particular case falls in that category, because I know nothing about this case, but I think we all can point to recent court verdicts that clearly illustrate my point.

Top Bottom