Land of the pines/ 2 day backpack trip to Kisatchie Wild Azalea Trail / Pics included

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My wife and I headed up to the Kisatchie Wild Azalea Trail for a back packing trip and camping trip this weekend. This trip was the start of our training for a possible 8 day backpacking trip in the fall to the Appalachian Trail. We want to hike the the southern end from where the trail starts in Georgia to the North Carolina line.
    We got to the southern trail head in Woodworth, LA around 11am on Saturday which has a parking area which can hold about 6 cars. I was a little nervous to leave my truck over night, but it’s in a rural part of Woodworth so I took a chance and it turned out ok. No broken windows or damage to my truck when we finished. We got all of our gear ready and headed out on the trail. The trail runs about 26 miles north to Boyce, but we were only going to do 5 - 8 miles on this trip. The first part was a little wet, but after about a mile or two it got much dryer. Didn’t see many azaleas in bloom as we were a little early for that but I took a few pics of some I did see. The Trail is well marked with yellow diamonds on trees. It’s a well worn trail so no way of getting lost. Most of the trail meanders through pine forest with occasional oak bottoms and a few sections of cypress that follow a creek about 5 miles in. It was a little warmer than usual this weekend so we sweated up a storm and drank about 3 liters of water between us plus a Vitamin Water at the start at the trailhead by the time we set up camp. There was very few people on the trail so it was not crowded at all. We did meet a very nice kid solo camping and chatted with him a bit as he camped in the same general area we did.
    We set up camp at around the 6 mile mark along a very nice sandy bottom creek. We were able to use the creek to refill our water bottles after filtering plus soak out battered feet in it to cool off. We lit a nice fire as we cooked our supper and before long the sun had set and we hit the hay. We didn’t sleep that well, but did get some sleep. The temp was warm at bed time but did cool off to the 60’s which made a nice morning. We made some coffee and ate some breakfast bars and hit the trail at 8 o’clock. We made it back to the truck in 3 hours and were pretty worn out. Both my boots and my wife’s boots caused foot issues for us. We got a few hot spots and my wife got some blisters. We did doctor our feet at camp with tape and new socks but we won’t hike with these boots ever again. We are going to start the quest for out boots in the near future as we gear up for our trip. We were able to see what worked and didn’t work and made notes for things we need and things we don’t need. Our packs weighed about 25 lbs with our water so we are close to being at the weight we need for our fall trip. We definitely were glad to see the truck as we were beat. All in all we had a great trip, saw some nice scenery and got some practice in ( checkout the American Carrion Beetle Genus- Necrophilaand eating a dead mouse. You can see the claw in the pic if you look real close)
    621aed91eee981c4804a9bffd3f411d1.jpg

37b076e4cd6e7b16ff8dd995f31362ec.jpg

76b19ab59374ee15247aeb5542ba7cb9.jpg

08bd6019f6a4cdb7c3fe53b84d725f8e.jpg

1d7aa4e5587f84024777f20828b07bb4.jpg

903dba2a47c1b9dc9999416cbe94e83c.jpg

6aa07a54f86803a308b6f853c0dae44d.jpg

607eaaae2673f6b1cdd248548421a36e.jpg

93bc41508a12699706d205f8a18f5c03.jpg

Last edited:

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for the info and pics. I’m considering getting back into backpacking after a decade hiatus. That trail looks like a good possible starting place if I do decide to get back on the trail.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    That’s sounds like a good trip. Thanks for sharing it on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for the responses. I’ve been going to Woodworth for years with the Department for training, and yes if you drive in the town obey the speed limit! I’m a little sore this morning, but it’s early. Once I get warmed up the old beeman has some bees to tend too. I hope everyone has a great week.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Sounds like a good weekend!

If you're hiking near NC make sure you include at least a day hike to Linville Gorge. That's a trail that will make you want to reduce your pack weight if you overnight there! Beautiful though.

I'd love to see your gear list...

M_Lee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2021
    Metairie, LA
    Nice thread.
    Myself and my brother and three college friends backpacked the Wild Azalea trail waaay back in 1981 on our spring break. I remember we brought two cars, parked one at the end, drove back with the other, parked it at the trailhead and walked the 26 miles in two days. We had borrowed equipment, backpacks etc and even froze beer in cans and carried them to drink around the camp the first night lol. I have no idea how much our packs weighed, and back then there were less options on portable water purifiers and we couldn't have afforded one anyway so we humped all our water. Mind you, we were 19-20 years old and at that age you don't think about those things.
    Anyway, we had a great time. Miss those days.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    81 was the year I graduated from high school. I did a lot of adventures back then also. Mostly canoe camping and fishing but didn’t have lots of money either so we made due with what we had. The gear was way more spartan back then but we never knew any better so it didn’t matter. Now at 57 years of age, I plan things better and make exceptions and adjustments to match my capabilities. It’s hard to admit to yourself that things change, but I take care of myself and workout so I’m still ready to roll at a moments notice, but just a little slower.

RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Me and my son hiked the Backbone Trial up at Kisatchie a few years back. Great memories.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom