Laptop training?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I was reading a gun mag the other day and something in one of the stories caught my interest.
    They were covering the campus police force of William and Mary University. The gist of the story was that after VA Tech they armed up with Beretta Storms. When the story turned to training and lack of a budget they came up with a good solution.
    They wanted to have a shoot/no shoot system but didn't have the budget for a good one. So instead they comandeered the range, set up a laptop, a projector, and a sheet for a screen. Then they ran powerpoint presentations with encounter photos.

I don't know what we could do with that, but it seemed too good an innovation to not post.

That could revolutionize the IDPA/IPSC/ 3 gun/etc. matches! Think how much more fun that would be than shooting cardboard cut outs. We could run informal matches with famous movies and shoot when the operator hits pause! Westerns, war movies (We Were Soldiers comes to mind), science fiction (shooting storm troopers in Star Wars might be fun), or even import video from your favorite video game. You could even run sniper matches with moving targets... I guess the only risk would be in someone accidentally putting a round through the projector or laptop (we could armor it with some plate steel I guess).

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I'm game. I would suggest shooting from a platform downwards because when I put on Pearl Harbor them Japs are going down:rofl: I want to run a quad .50 and take them bastards down.

How fun would the Alamo be when you got a bunch of Mexicans running straight at you or Braveheart.

Lets do it I'll bring a sheet I got from Nestor. For some reason it had holes cut out of it for like a hood or something:dunno:

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    We used it in the Army with a 180 degree screen with M-16s and duck hunt technology or something we could also call in; indirect fire on these too. Beat a day sitting in the rain at a range at Lewis.

We should build a tire house out at the BZ.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I never thought it was a new idea. Its a cheap way to do something that most civilians don't get a chance to do. And it makes training and matches more fun... now if I only had a projector. :(

KEMOSABI

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    There is also a archery setup like that...The scene freezes at a certain time and you shoot..You do this 6 times ,differant scenes ea. time.Then the kill zones are showed afterwards on the 6 arrows you shot and you score the,..Heart shots/vial area and wound scoring....It was fun at first then it got old.Practice was great though.....Really helped in picking a small spot to shoot at and not shooting at the whole animal hoping to just hit it.....

Kemo

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    Old news, F.A.T.S system.

Read about it HERE, but its basically a lifelike police shooter, using air compressed M9's and M16's and it runs through shoot/don't shoot scenarios for training. We had one at our unit in Belle Chase, used to train people who needed a requal and missed the one weekend a year scheduled requal for the entire wing.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Like I said, old news for LEO and military, not for civilians. We don't have access to FATS...

Got you covered. i am in the process of setting up a vehicular defense / close combat course. i am planning on using a similar set-up. Won't be for a few months though. I have a couple of training resources that completely line this out.

Top Bottom