Large mouth bass

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    I eat LMB sometimes. Catch and release more than I eat but that's because I often am just fishing to fish, and sometimes I don't want to take from a small fishery. I do love eating them.

Their flavor is very similar to various Bream/Sunfish because a "Largemouth Bass" is not a Bass at all; they're in the Bream/Sunfish family and simply share the basic name of Bass but are grouped into the Black Bass family (to the best of my knowledge). I believe Smallmouth are classified in the same family.

True Bass are White Bass, Yellow Bass, Striped Bass and Hybrid Striped Bass.
    Same with "Peacock Bass". They're also not a Bass at all. They're Cichlids.

Big H

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    I eat LMB sometimes. Catch and release more than I eat but that's because I often am just fishing to fish, and sometimes I don't want to take from a small fishery. I do love eating them.

Their flavor is very similar to various Bream/Sunfish because a "Largemouth Bass" is not a Bass at all; they're in the Bream/Sunfish family and simply share the basic name of Bass but are grouped into the Black Bass family (to the best of my knowledge). I believe Smallmouth are classified in the same family.

True Bass are White Bass, Yellow Bass, Striped Bass and Hybrid Striped Bass.
    Same with "Peacock Bass". They're also not a Bass at all. They're Cichlids.
    Very educational---Thanks

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    167   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I ate a few Kentucky bass last weekend from the Bogue Chitto. Bass are great until they hit about 4-5 pounds. If I catch a big female that or bigger I release.

Attachments

• IMG_5377.jpeg
      IMG_5377.jpeg
      546.4 KB · Views: 17

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Why arent LMB considered a good eating fish anymore? I know most of you guys will probably eat them but many just catch and release them.
    Personally i always seen them as large panfish, flavor is similar.

Do you eat them?
    Yeah those things taste like Bayou Mud
    Better filet those for me and pm me an address for pick-up and disposal.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    When I was a teen, a good friend and I spent a LOT of very early mornings fishing in a lake on property owned by LSU. We were out there early because fishing was not publicly allowed. It was hit or miss, but we usually caught a few bass, and sometimes we caught a lot of bass. I have a 5 and a half pounder on the wall of my workshop that came from that lake.

All this to say, yeah, we cleaned and cooked those fish for lunch or dinner every time we came back with some. Bass are in my opinion every bit as good as sacalait and bream and chinquapin for eating.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    When I was a teen, a good friend and I spent a LOT of very early mornings fishing in a lake on property owned by LSU. We were out there early because fishing was not publicly allowed. It was hit or miss, but we usually caught a few bass, and sometimes we caught a lot of bass. I have a 5 and a half pounder on the wall of my workshop that came from that lake.

All this to say, yeah, we cleaned and cooked those fish for lunch or dinner every time we came back with some. Bass are in my opinion every bit as good as sacalait and bream and chinquapin for eating.
    A 51/2lb bass has nice fillets not that ive ever caught one. You guys actually did a good thing by harvesting some of those bass.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    I'll post this since it crossed my mind:

When fishing rivers for LMB we most often beat the banks, targeting structure (bottom contours), visible cover and overhanging trees/bushes.

To target the True Bass, fish away from the banks. While you're casting to just cover water and locate fish; if there is any current present pay particular attention to current breaks and eddies, and always hit any deeper holes. Cover water between those "higher-percentage" areas. Swim Jigs, Swimbaits, and hard Shad/Baitfish imitators will produce once you find the fish.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Koenccx
    Top Bottom