Laser or red dot

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I don't have a problem with you at all. I just think you are full of ****.. That's all.. I mean you might a great person that just gives out bad advice. There are many like you on many other forums, guys who are dillusional that post on every single topic with bad info. The response is always the same "it's my opinion", "how about we meet up and talk about it", "I'm sorry your butt hurt" lmmfao....

Tactitools and blanket statements... Welcome to Bayoushooter.
    You don’t have a problem with me at all, but you make 5 posts whining about me. Are you one of those snowflakes that just spends his life whining about the things he doesn’t like? Or do you just need an audience? I guess it’s not fulfilling for you if you can’t air it out in the open, huh. Can’t do the one to one conversation? Insecure much?
    Yeah, I think you’re full of $hit too but I don’t need to whine to the community about my feelings. Go whine somewhere else little boy .
    Still haven’t mentioned any bad advice.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    You don’t have a problem with me at all, but you make 5 posts whining about me. Are you one of those snowflakes that just spends his life whining about the things he doesn’t like? Or do you just need an audience? I guess it’s not fulfilling for you if you can’t air it out in the open, huh. Can’t do the one to one conversation? Insecure much?
    Yeah, I think you’re full of $hit too but I don’t need to whine to the community about my feelings. Go whine somewhere else little boy .
    I made one post stating you gave bad info. The rest were replying back to you. It seems the trend is if someone doesn't agree with you they are a whining snowflake and then you resort to name calling.. Looking over this thread it really seems you are the one that got their feelings hurt.

Tactitools and blanket statements... Welcome to Bayoushooter.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You guys are too much. Tell us about your shootout with the bad guy. I know who spanky is and I’m quite aware of his time at the range. I didn’t challenge anyone, I simply offered pros and cons and my opinion. Talking. It’s a thing on forums. Another thing on this forum is people making assumptions and getting butthurt because other people don’t drink the kool aid. I don’t care to have a red dot on a carry pistol and I stated why. That’s my opinion. You obviously don’t agree and that’s fine. Taking it personally shows your worth. If you think you can change my mind about a red dot on my carry gun and want to come talk to me about it I’m free all day today and tomorrow in Hammond.
    You also suggested the reason of "stealth" which immediately discounted anything else that you said (not that the rest of your paragraph had much or any value, either).

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'll mention your bad advice: Everything you posted in this thread.

The statements you are making about pistol optics are simply incorrect and are indicative that you do not know what you are talking about.

Do you even carry a pistol regularly? What is your method of carry, if so? Have you attended any formal training in the past three years?

*Awaits name calling and no response to direct questions.*

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    You guys are too much. Tell us about your shootout with the bad guy. I know who spanky is and I’m quite aware of his time at the range. I didn’t challenge anyone, I simply offered pros and cons and my opinion. Talking. It’s a thing on forums. Another thing on this forum is people making assumptions and getting butthurt because other people don’t drink the kool aid. I don’t care to have a red dot on a carry pistol and I stated why. That’s my opinion. You obviously don’t agree and that’s fine. Taking it personally shows your worth. If you think you can change my mind about a red dot on my carry gun and want to come talk to me about it I’m free all day today and tomorrow in Hammond.
    How many training classes from reputable trainers have you taken?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    And here lies the problem with forums. You get advice from people who don’t have a clue as well as people who are competition shooters and train a lot. I originally didn’t care for red dots on pistols but now I have warmed up to them. I have seen the advantage of them in tactical situations and they work. Also, if you have a red dot on a carry pistol that you have to turn on, please take it off and get a reputable red dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'll mention your bad advice: Everything you posted in this thread.

The statements you are making about pistol optics are simply incorrect and are indicative that you do not know what you are talking about.

Do you even carry a pistol regularly? What is your method of carry, if so? Have you attended any formal training in the past three years?

*Awaits name calling and no response to direct questions.*
    There was one part of his post that seems rather accurate. "If I have to shoot it’s likely going to be from a very short distance in a very short time. Training for this scenario involves less extension of the weapon and more retention minded shooting and that’s how I train. That dot won’t help me there."

But other than that, his post does read like what someone would imagine the problems would be before they actually got a concealed handgun permit and actually tested their theories.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    LMAO! And here they come! Right on cue. Only person missing from this little party is Dave M. You guys couldn’t dig him up? Did he abandon y’all or something?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I still don’t know how anyone here can say I gave bad advice. I simply stated why I choose not to carry a pistol with a red dot sight. I didn’t say what anyone should or should not do except what works for them. I didn’t chime in and get triggered because someone disagrees with that. I only answered in kind. I’ll let you in on a little secret. I’m not the only person here who doesn’t want a red dot on my carry pistol.
    I remember all the hype surrounding Glocks and no safety and a trigger that could not possibly snag on anything. That didn’t age well, did it.
    If any of you think that giving your opinion and your views is bad advice then you’re all guilty.
    And you take the time to read what I post? Consider what I post to be advice? I guess I am starting to realize there’s a problem, but I don’t think it’s me.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    LMAO! And here they come! Right on cue. Only person missing from this little party is Dave M. You guys couldn’t dig him up? Did he abandon y’all or something?
    He probably decided it wasn't worth his time to entertain the trolls.

I'm not shocked that you didn't answer the questions posed above.

I'm also not shocked that you are trying to say that your response to someone asking for advice isn't advice.

"Hey, I have a question"
    "Here's my uninformed rant in response to your question."
    *gets called out on sharing bad advice*
    "Oh, I was just talking out of my ass about what works for me when I really don't know much about it, other than that it's something I've done before."

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I agreed with you with on a big issue, weapon use in a close quarters situation. I guess you missed that part.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    And here lies the problem with forums. You get advice from people who don’t have a clue as well as people who are competition shooters and train a lot. I originally didn’t care for red dots on pistols but now I have warmed up to them. I have seen the advantage of them in tactical situations and they work. Also, if you have a red dot on a carry pistol that you have to turn on, please take it off and get a reputable red dot.

They have their place and may not be for everyone on every platform. I personally don't carry a pistol with one as I simply haven't trained enough with one. Maybe eventually.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

Says the person who was all about the party on the tint thread

giphy.gif

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Lol, I remember watching the same behavior you guys exhibit in Jr High. Mostly the girls though.
    Well, I’ll wrap my part up in all this for you guys with this post. I never claimed to be the authority on anything. I’m not giving advice. If anyone looks at my posts and misconstrues them as advice, when I haven’t said, “take my advice” or “I’d advise you” then it’s their error. Especially when I add “in my opinion” or “as for me” and so on.
    I will continue to voice my opinion when I feel like it or until the rules of this site dictate that I can’t. If you have a problem with that, then that’s your problem. Whining about it is not going to change anything but you’re welcome to whine and get all worked up about it if that suits you. You could also simply ignore my posts, but don’t take that as advice, for Pete’s sake!
    Until next time gang! I’ll just be hanging out in the classifieds. Little too whiney in here for me.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Lol, I remember watching the same behavior you guys exhibit in Jr High. Mostly the girls though.
    Well, I’ll wrap my part up in all this for you guys with this post. I never claimed to be the authority on anything. I’m not giving advice. If anyone looks at my posts and misconstrues them as advice, when I haven’t said, “take my advice” or “I’d advise you” then it’s their error. Especially when I add “in my opinion” or “as for me” and so on.
    I will continue to voice my opinion when I feel like it or until the rules of this site dictate that I can’t. If you have a problem with that, then that’s your problem. Whining about it is not going to change anything but you’re welcome to whine and get all worked up about it if that suits you. You could also simply ignore my posts, but don’t take that as advice, for Pete’s sake!
    Until next time gang! I’ll just be hanging out in the classifieds. Little too whiney in here for me.
    Is the irony between the first sentences of your post and the remainder of it really lost on you?

This is a discussion board. A forum for discussion. You constantly troll and post your flawed and uninformed opinion, and then refuse to even attempt to back up your opinion.

When called out with polite questions, you just throw your hands up and name call. No one ever calls you names to start: it's always you doing the name calling.

And then when you get called out enough by someone, you just publically anounce that you are blocking them so you don't have to see what they have to say anymore.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    My wife carries an M&P 380 EZ and I want to give her a better option than iron sights. What's your opinion, laser, or red dot optic?
    In a sea of nonsense, I'm not sure you're getting the information you need here my dude, and although this was predictable, it sucks because it was a good question.

Perez's #6 post has the best information so far.

The EZ doesn't come optic-ready, and there isn't anyone out there yet offering milling services (I've looked for myself). So, your only option for a red dot is to use a dovetail plate. These sit up quite high and aren't really that great for long-term use, concealed carry or anything other than experimentation. They work they're just not ideal.

Lasers are out for the most part. The knock against lasers is twofold. First, the cheap ones don't hold zero, which is an enormous legal liability in a shooting, and most people looking for lasers don't want to spend $300 on a TLR-2HL that actually works well. Second, is that they become a training crutch for new shooters, who learn to follow the cat toy instead of learning marksmanship. Forget about operators and night vision here. The "grandma variable" is the only time I'd really recommend a laser: for someone that was determined to have a gun, and that you knew was never going to practice, and that you could personally confirm battery life and zero a few times a year.

On the rest of the blather you've seen so far, just tune it out because it's irrelevant to your question. Dots don't snag if you know how to clear a garment; Dots don't slow your draw since the dot isn't inside the holster and has nothing to do with your draw; Dot batteries last for years, and if they poop out you can shoot with backup irons or the optic housing with training; A good optic won't break even if you drive over it; Finally, civilians don't need stealth advantage: if you're sneaking up on someone that's hunting aka premeditated homicide... not a good look.

The question really boils down to this: What is a "better option" in your books, and why? Who says she needs to move from iron sights, you or her? The why is the critical part, and none of us know that yet... is it a lack of training, a lack of desire to want to train, an eyesight issue that causes problems with sights, does she have 75 other guns with optics that she prefers, etc, etc, etc.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I don't carry with a red dot (at least not typically) but I just have a question for magdump. What is it snagging on? If you carry your gun so deep that the dot is below your belt, how do you get a good grip on the gun to draw it? I'm trying to think of all the red dot's I have on each platform and the holsters I have for it, and none of them would snag my belt, if it doesn't snag my belt, wouldn't part of the draw be clearing the gun for the draw eg. Pulling your outer garment out of the way?

Also as far as the point shooting from very close distance, I don't see the optic getting in the way from that, as you're pointing anyway, and then once you can full extend you would only get additional benefit from the dot helping you stay on target.

I'm not giving advice, just wondering about the draw and your claim it'll snag

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Someone PM'ed me and told me this thread existed, I am dying laughing.

Magdump....You didnt really just challenge someone with the ole "Come meet me face to face" internet line did ya ? And then ten lines later you say we are all a bunch of female Jr. High students.

Just wow dude.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Someone PM'ed me and told me this thread existed, I am dying laughing.

Magdump....You didnt really just challenge someone with the ole "Come meet me face to face" internet line did ya ? And then ten lines later you say we are all a bunch of female Jr. High students.

Just wow dude.
    And then disappearing after realizing that he said something he can't support and completely contradicting himself.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom