Laser Training systeml

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    "Best" is subjective and kinda depends on what you're looking to work on.

I use a G-Sight ELMS cartridge with the free LaserHIT app on my iPad. Looks like this: https://imgur.com/9ekQ08D

If you want to get in on the cheap, snag a Pink Rhino cartridge off Amazon.

LaserLyte also makes a little reactive target called Steel Tyme that's pretty cool but a bit healthy on the price tag.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    If you're keeping your skills up, it's not wasted ammo.

If you're wasting ammo, it's not training.

A laser will certainly make dryfire more entertaining, but it's not really "necessary" per se. All the laser does is gamify the accuracy part of things. If you're wanting to spruce up your dryfire routine without investing cashola, some of the best things you can do are free (but still f***ing infuriating):
    1. download a free par timer app on your phone
    2. record yourself in slow-motion -- this is particularly good for draw stroke analysis
    3. for trigger press mechanics, balance something on your front sight and break the trigger without dropping it. Start with a quarter, then a stack of quarters, then a primer-down round of ammo, then a tip-down round of JHP.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I bought the G-Sight 2nd gen laser bullet from Amazon, $40 and downloaded the free app. I use standard silhouette target taped on the wall, I already had a tripod for the phone. It works great for dry fire. I do a routine of standing, sitting, drawing, and weak hand dry fire. Each shot is recorded and after 10 shots all impact points are shone, reset and shoot again. You can do a screen capture if you want to keep a record. Well worth the $40.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Download iTarget for your phone... they have a 20% off coupon for laser ammo and the app is free to use.

I put an old ipad on a tripod in a cradle I 3-D printed... the app looks at a target you place on the wall and plots your shots.

There are a bunch of apps out there for this... and some even incorporate failures, mag changes and are timed for added stress. If you have an old iPhone or Android phone, you can dedicate it to your dryfire system.

Also, I would recommend the "Dryfire training cards"... which is a deck of cards that provide training scenarios, drills, etc.

Dryfire will DEFINITELY help anyone... even with basic drills like, most ranges won't let you draw from the holster... dryfire allows you to hone that skill. Get your significant other to place the target in a room... then you enter and have to acquire the target and engage. I instruct, and dryfire training does help familiarize and build skills in those that could be hesitant at first. It helps build additional more advanced skills as well.

I have even takin it a little further with an open source software titled ShootOff... it works from a laptop, webcam and projector but it employs moving targets, "popup" targets and even scenario training. There are also small phone-like targets called iPets.... the products are out there and some are fairly inexpensive.

Members of the USCCA, they also have a coupon code for "LaserAmmo".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom