LDWF Ticket - Citation not showing up?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    My son got a LDWF ticket while using my boat. He has his Boater Safety Certification and is a very responsible captain - the ticket is partially my fault (ok mainly my fault! haha) for not having the proper amount of PFD's. Actually they were in the boat, but I moved 2 of them to another compartment and didn't tell him. Anyway - he got a ticket.

The ticket has a QR code and it scans to the LDWF site. I go the "Pay Fines/Restitutions" tab to pay the Civil Fine but when I type in the Citation# it tells me, "There were no citations found with the specified citation number."

It has been 3 days since the ticket was issued.

What should I do?

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    This will be on your sons record even as an adult. Not sure how they get away with this. I got a ticket from them when I was 16 similar to this. I got stopped again when I was 38 and said this was my second offense. I was like, "what do you mean that happened when I was a juvenile, how to you have access to that?" Crickets and they let me go.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    When you say it'll be on his record even as an adult, I assume you mean his record with LDWF. I've never seen any reference to a ticket from LDFW on any database I've seen, from a rap sheet to dmv records. If they maintain their own database and juveniles are allowed to operate a boat following similar rules as an adult, there's no reason to have separate juvenile and adult records.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    This will be on your sons record even as an adult. Not sure how they get away with this. I got a ticket from them when I was 16 similar to this. I got stopped again when I was 38 and said this was my second offense. I was like, "what do you mean that happened when I was a juvenile, how to you have access to that?" Crickets and they let me go.
    Wow - and this infraction is really my fault. He had no idea that I moved 2 PFD's into another compartment. He said the Agent called out a list of things that he produced, i.e. fire extinguisher, sounding device, flares, etc. these were all in the same compartment. The boat is just an 18' aluminum flat boat with a 90HP outboard.
    I'm paying the fine for my son.....even though he owes me for using all my gas! :D :D :)

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    When you say it'll be on his record even as an adult, I assume you mean his record with LDWF. I've never seen any reference to a ticket from LDFW on any database I've seen, from a rap sheet to dmv records. If they maintain their own database and juveniles are allowed to operate a boat following similar rules as an adult, there's no reason to have separate juvenile and adult records.
    Are breaking LDWF rules a crime? If they are juvenile records are supposed to be sealed once you become and Adult. That was my understanding. It may have changed.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Wow - and this infraction is really my fault. He had no idea that I moved 2 PFD's into another compartment. He said the Agent called out a list of things that he produced, i.e. fire extinguisher, sounding device, flares, etc. these were all in the same compartment. The boat is just an 18' aluminum flat boat with a 90HP outboard.
    I'm paying the fine for my son.....even though he owes me for using all my gas! :D :D :)
    But honestly you should take this opportunity to teach him, a truly responsible captain would double check everything before leaving the dock. I can understand how you feel but just think what if someone had drowned (charges would be a lot worse).

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Is a flare really required? I’ve never had one of those.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Are breaking LDWF rules a crime? If they are juvenile records are supposed to be sealed once you become and Adult. That was my understanding. It may have changed.

As best I can tell, LDWF information is in three places, Title 56 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes and Title 76 of the Louisiana Administrative Code. It looks like Title 56 deals with a lot of commercial stuff and rules pertaining to specific areas. The Administrative Code references Revised Statute Tile 34 Navigating and Shipping.

Let's take the floatation drvice rule. Adm Code Title 76 Section 103 mentions "in accordance with R.S. 34:851.24(F)1."

F says the following:
    F.(1) Every motorboat or vessel shall carry at least one life preserver, life belt, ring buoy, or other device of the sort prescribed by the regulations of the commission for each person on board so placed as to be readily accessible; however, every owner or operator of motorboats carrying passengers for hire shall provide and carry so placed as to be readily accessible at least one life preserver of the sort prescribed by the regulations of the commission for each person on board.
    (2) Every person sixteen years or younger on board a Class A or Class 1 motorboat or vessel shall wear a coast guard approved life jacket or life preserver while such outboard motorboat or vessel is underway. However, the provisions of this Paragraph shall not apply to persons thirteen years of age or older while engaged in commercial fishing operations on commercial fishing vessels.
    (3) For the purpose of this Subsection "underway" shall mean at all times except when a boat is anchored, moored, aground or is being propelled solely by an electric trolling motor.
    (4) The operator of the boat shall be responsible and held liable for violations of this Subsection.

RS 34:851.31 Penalties says "A.(1) Any person who violates any provision of R.S. 34:851.7, 851.9, 851.11, 851.12, 851.13, 851.14, 851.15, 851.16, 851.17, 851.18, 851.19, 851.20, 851.21, 851.23, 851.24, 851.27(C), and 851.30 shall be guilty of a class one violation, R.S. 56:31."

And R.S. 56"31 says:​
    §31. Class one violations
    The following penalties shall be imposed for a class one violation:
    (1) For the first offense, a fine of fifty dollars. The fine shall include all costs of court.
    (2) For the second offense, a fine of not less than seventy-five dollars nor more than two hundred fifty dollars.
    (3) For the third offense and all subsequent offenses, a fine of not less than two hundred dollars nor more than five hundred fifty dollars.

None of that is in Title 14 Criminal Law. So I would go with no, getting a citation for not enough life jackets is not a criminal offense and does not need to be sealed if received under the age of 18.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    But honestly you should take this opportunity to teach him, a truly responsible captain would double check everything before leaving the dock. I can understand how you feel but just think what if someone had drowned (charges would be a lot worse).
    Since the infraction, I've made pre-launch checklists that must be initialed before each use of the vessel. It must be signed and dated with an attached authorization sheet including witness signatures. His Boater Education Program ID certificate must be attached to all forms. These forms are on carbon copy, one copy to be kept in the vessel and one on shore.;)

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Since the infraction, I've made pre-launch checklists that must be initialed before each use of the vessel. It must be signed and dated with an attached authorization sheet including witness signatures. His Boater Education Program ID certificate must be attached to all forms. These forms are on carbon copy, one copy to be kept in the vessel and one on shore.;)
    Is this like a boaters 4473 form?

riverrat66

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2016
    The hills of St Helena parish
    You have the same problem as I do. Your boat is too small. I have seen 40 foot cigarette boats pass with the driver holding a beer while I was being checked for pfds. When I pointed it out to the officer his reply was. I’m busy with you now. Don’t get me wrong. I respect all law enforcement but it seems that the small boats get watched more carefully. I base my opinion from what I’ve seen growing up on blood river in Springfield.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    You have the same problem as I do. Your boat is too small. I have seen 40 foot cigarette boats pass with the driver holding a beer while I was being checked for pfds. When I pointed it out to the officer his reply was. I’m busy with you now. Don’t get me wrong. I respect all law enforcement but it seems that the small boats get watched more carefully. I base my opinion from what I’ve seen growing up on blood river in Springfield.
    You are right. The guy in the cigarette boat has money and likely politcal connections. You in your small boat is easy pickings. When I got my ticket I mentioned in a previous post I was in a 15ft flat boat with a 1960's Johnson that had poor compression and one cylinder frozen. It hardley worked. I was 16 and wasn't even my boat it was a friends. This was on Blind River.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Got stopped today in Henderson on Lake Pelba, First thing I did was yell at him HEEEEYYYYYY.
    He started laughing and said he was glad to see us wearing life jackets and the kill-switch hooked to my jacket.
    Did a quick check and off he goes after another boat, Nice enough young man!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Got stopped today in Henderson on Lake Pelba, First thing I did was yell at him HEEEEYYYYYY.
    He started laughing and said he was glad to see us wearing life jackets and the kill-switch hooked to my jacket.
    Did a quick check and off he goes after another boat, Nice enough young man!
    So....you followed the law, were safe, respectful, and then the cop didn't tase you and beat you up? Interesting.

Top Bottom