Lifting suggestions please

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Due to a bad break and multiple surgeries starting at 14 in my left wrist, I am now 37 with no cartilage and osteoarthritis in this wrist. Push-ups have been a no-go for decades, (used perfect push-ups for a while, but after a few weeks, wrist swells up and becomes very painful) but went to doctor last week, and in order to prolong/avoid the need for a wrist fusion, I'm, cutting out bench press, overhead press, dips, bar curls. Looking for alternatives to these lifts that do not put a load on the wrist. I've started using the machine that you sit on and lift with shoulders in a chicken dance type motion, and the machine that lets you do butterfly sitting by pushing with your forearms. Going to figure a way to do curls using the pulley machine tied to my forearm in the next few weeks.

Anyway, just picking your brains for ideas, and welcoming any suggestions, I know we have a lot of knowledgeable fitness buffs out there.

On the plus side, squats (standard, no more front), deadlift, bent-over row, pull-ups, still in!:)

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Resistance bands my friend.

Lift, hold for 5-10 secs, lower. 3 seconds in, 3 seconds out. Go slow and gradually increase the duration of hold and/or resistance by adding bands.

I used to do this in my seminars regarding "what should I do in the gym?". I'd bring in a bodybuilding friend and ask "how much do you bench?" He'd say something like "I can 1-rep 505, but I generally do multiple sets of 250-325." At this point I then hand him a 5-lb medicine ball ~the size of a tennis ball, and have him hold it outward at an awkward angle. After ~3minutes his arm is shaking and he's making funny noises.

It doesn't take a particular exercise to build and develop muscle, and weight is just one of the multiple avenues of resistance. Your weakest link is the joint, so minimize the direct weight that it has to support. Wreck the muscles with reps, and your wrist will never know the difference.

as for the exercises you CAN do - go crazy on them. Where are you located? I'd be happy to come up with some creative ways to adapt your routine for you.

Why not just go ahead and get the fusion?

PM anytime with questions

Last edited:

1911arkain

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    NOLA
    I see some people standing and kicking outward with a band around their ankle for leg training. You could always use that for curls just putting it close to your wrist. Should give you the same resistance.

I also agree with madwabbit, resistance bands will let you do most of the things you are looking for, even when sitting in an office chair. Had a co-worker who used to do that. He played tennis and had no time to workout, so resistance bands helped him get stronger.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    I think I'll try one of those rigid wrist braces they sell at Walgreen, and attach a resistance band to it. This may work well for bench and overhead press. I could keep the wrist in a neutral position, unlike a bar, and have no side loads on it, unlike the dumbell, but work the same muscles. I'm guessing they make resistance bands that are strong enough to simulate bar type weight? I know, dumb question, but I don't have much experience with these, and the one's at the YMCA today looked very weak, Jane Fonda aerobic style.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Why can't you do front squats?

Front squats, back squats, deadlifts, pull ups, are all great.

What about rowing? Airdyne? Wallballs? Box jumps? Sit ups?

You can probably do a relatively decent amount of lifts associated with CrossFit. The right coach can reprogram a WOD to you and your body's needs.

Also maybe try out some HIIT.

Oh, and these are kind of awesome.

rogue-wrist-wraps-red-black-web-h1.jpg

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I think I'll try one of those rigid wrist braces they sell at Walgreen, and attach a resistance band to it. This may work well for bench and overhead press. I could keep the wrist in a neutral position, unlike a bar, and have no side loads on it, unlike the dumbell, but work the same muscles. I'm guessing they make resistance bands that are strong enough to simulate bar type weight? I know, dumb question, but I don't have much experience with these, and the one's at the YMCA today looked very weak, Jane Fonda aerobic style.

You''re thinking about it from the wrong angle. weight is just the simplest way to manipulate intensity. I could do a body weight/resistance band program that would make my local crossfit coach find Jesus. (and I can say that because I certified him to be a personal trainer lol). See above comment regarding tennis ball vs bodybuilder.

common intensity choices are weight, reps, tempo, and rest. You'll have to apply more finesse and form instead of just raw weight. ie: instead of 7 reps with a 45lb bar, you'll be doing 100 very slow reps with a 7lb band.

By the way, doing only squats (standard, no more front), deadlift, bent-over row, pull-ups, and some interval resistance training, you've got enough right there to to incredible things. and hey, try the brace and see how you feel!

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Why can't you do front squats?

rogue-wrist-wraps-red-black-web-h1.jpg

My wrist only bends about half way back or front. It became painful flexing it back to hold the bar, I guess I need to try to get the hang of the crossed arm position.

I do more than weights, I swim laps and run as well, and I'm happy with the way I exercise. It's just bench press and overhead press are boogers, and I'm looking for alternatives to work the same muscles without putting loads on my left wrist. Not trying to be a whiner, but picking up a full pot of coffee has been painful the past few months. Deadlift, bent-over row, pull-ups, regular squats, all good, no problem with a pulling load.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Resistance bands & Water Aerobics.

Water Aerobics will whip your rear end and great for cardio too.

Can't think of anything with less impact than water work and there are all sorts of tools and exercise equipment you can attach to your arms and legs to provide even more resistance.

May talk to your doctor about getting on some krill oil(Mega Red) as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom