light vs heavy pistol?!?!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clem131

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    BATON ROUGE, LA
    theoretically speaking which would you prefer in a competition situation: a heavy barrel pistol (buckmark, mark 3, 22/45, etc) or a light version (paclite, etc)? and why?
    ei light swings faster but recoils more. yes we all know the 22lr has very little recoil. but when your trying to shave secs off your time it becomes noticeable.
    what scrafices you make in your pistol build and why?

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I don't shoot any competitions but unless its bullseye I'd want a PacLite barrel. I wouldn't want the extra weight while transitioning from target to target.
    But for casual shooting I love my slab side MKIII.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I have a heavy buckmark. I've been debating the tacsol barrel vs spending more for a ruger paclite. The extra money gives me an extra pistol and leaves my buckmark intact... not sure though since I haven't shot either.

Thoughts?

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    I was too LAZY to go open the safe and take an actual pic but here same model Buckmark Camper I have and like HEAVY lol

55968_1202827_01_browning_buckmark_camper_22_640.jpg

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Heavy will be easier to shoot, in the beginning. But you will notice, with time, a lighter gun is better for Steel Challange because less weight is easier to get moving and stop moving. Steel Challenge is all about the transitions.
    IMO, the lighter, the better.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Clem131,
    I shot in the NRA bullseye type matches for several years, we had a shooting leauge and shot weekly. I don't know about any of the new "action" matches but what I learned thru experience, with a High Standard, Ruger and Smith & Wesson pistols, is that I shot each and every one best with a bull barrel. Usually a five inch heavy barrel gave better scores than a long light barrel. The bull barrel Ruger, with a Millet SP-1 Red Dot sight, worked over by Jim Clark Guns ( they did an accuracy and reliability job on it ) was the winner of the pack. But that was a few years back and may not be the "thing to have" now. Still shoots pretty nice for my needs, I'll keep it.
    Gary

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I had a MKIII "Hunter" with the 6-7/8" barrel that I did a few steel matches with. Other than some Hogue grips, the gun was bone stock.

I was the only person in a group of ~20 shooters with open sights and a factory trigger. Everyone asked if it was my "spare gun".

I got second place.

Use the extra money you'll throw away on useless modifications to buy ammo and shoot. And shoot. And shoot. And shoot. It took me around 5K rounds to get good with my MKIII, and I think I'm around the 15K round mark now. I thought about changing some springs around, but decided against it.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom