liquor store.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    louisiana law says no carry where there's a class A permit "retail outlet where beverage alcohol is sold on the premises for consumption on the premises by paying customers. Such an establishment must be equipped with a permanent wet bar equipped with a non-movable sink and a backbar or similar equipment for public display and to inform the public of brands and flavors offered for sale."

So the local liquor store where I buy the stuff for my manhattans, I am legally alowed to carry there? Only reason this comes up is I was talking to my dad, and he says you can't in texas. I read the law and think I can. Is this correct?

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Said store is small, convienence store size, is a dedicated liquor store, not a convenience store, and has no bar and you can't drink there, for take home sale only.

There you go. I think I have heard that in Texas, you can't carry into any restaurant that serves alcohol. Might be the same for a liquor store.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I carry in the liquor store by Bass Pro (great store BTW). Nothing for sale is to be consumed on the premises so I don't see why it would be off limits.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Look at the list of prohibited places and you'll see any establishment with a "Class A General Retail" permit, not just "Class A". That's important because there's a long list of different "Class A" permits a place might have. The quick and easy translation of "Class A General Retail" is "bar". There's a sticky in either this or the CCW forum with a link to the state website with a list of "Class A" permits, where you can look up your liquor store or restaurant that serves alcohol and if theirs is not a "Class A General Retail, concealed carry with a permit is legal.

tigerfan_9

1000 Yard Club
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    There you go. I think I have heard that in Texas, you can't carry into any restaurant that serves alcohol. Might be the same for a liquor store.

Not correct. In Texas anywhere that has 51% of revenue from alcohol for consumption on location is off limits. Most post a 51% if this is the case but they aren't required to so it is your responsibility to find out. A retaurant is ok but not the bar section. A liquor store is fine just like a convienince store. Only exception is if a business post an official 30.06 sign that restricts CC legally.

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    That's how I read the law, this place is deffinatly not a bar. No consumption, my kids are allowed in, ect. thanks ya'll, just wanted to see if anyone read anyhting different. I will buy sweet vermouth, canadian whisky, and carry with confidence. Always have before, just got a little concerned talking to my dad.

tigerfan_9

1000 Yard Club
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    Texas law requires signage for when weapons are not allowed.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/signposting.htm

No....the 30.06 posting is if a business want to restrict carry. there are other places that CCW's are not allowed and do not require posting of signs.

From TxDPS....Handguns and other weapons cannot be carried at schools or on school buses, at polling places, in courts and court offices, at race¬tracks, at secured airport areas, or within 1,000 feet of the premises of a facility carrying out an execution on the day of an execution. The law also specifically prohibits handguns from businesses where alcohol is sold, if more than half of their revenue is from the sale of alcohol for on-premises consumption. Additionally, weapons are prohibited on locations where high school, college or professional sporting events are taking place. Furthermore, you may not carry handguns in hospitals or nursing homes, amusement parks, places of worship or at government meetings, if signs are posted prohibiting them. Businesses also may post signs prohibiting handguns on their premises based on criminal trespass laws.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Can I make a suggestion that should have been made a long time ago?

I have seen so much debate on concealed carry and where you can and can't go on this forum it is nauseating. Then some you guys actually fight over it.

If the law concerning concealed carry is that ambiguous to so many people that are actually carrying concealed weapons, what say we all as a group, LSA, NRA, BS, the whole enchilada; try to clarify this by way of legislative action?

Not a day goes by someone, who already has a CC license, is questioning soemthing about it and it's limitations? My goodness!

Was Mike Foster that much of a knucklehead that he couldn't have gotten his legislature to iron out the wrinkles we still have today? Granted, it was a monumnetal deal and no one really knew how it would grow to this, but come on!

I know the law, I know where I can and can't go with mine, but obviously there can be some tuning up in the verbiage that can make it more evident to others. How about straightening out the damn alcohol permits. How hard is it to give this kind to this establsihment and not to this one? Now you have to worry if they have a sink? Does it have to be a 3 compartment or will one do? (Comedy injection).

Am I off flavor here? The Conceled Permit Rules, Laws, ansd admin. pamphlet I got is 37 pages long! Really?

Just a thought.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    No matter how you write it, it doesn't matter. Some people will still nitpick about this way or that.

Laws are written for lawyers and judges, not the average person. Anyone who's ever done professional writing knows how different it has to be to write things that are professionally/legally sound and hold water, than are easily understood by the layman.

I'd rather laws hold water in court than hold water between a couple people arguing at the bar.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    No matter how you write it, it doesn't matter. Some people will still nitpick about this way or that.

Laws are written for lawyers and judges, not the average person. Anyone who's ever done professional writing knows how different it has to be to write things that are professionally/legally sound and hold water, than are easily understood by the layman.

I'd rather laws hold water in court than hold water between a couple people arguing at the bar.

I get that. But the debate over the bar establishments and the class of permit is nonesense! And that is by far the biggest argument. You won't convince me that can't be tweaked for the sake of ease.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    I dunno, it was pretty cut and dry clear when I took my class.

You don't carry in bars.

If a restaurant has a bar then you don't sit at the bar. You can walk THROUGH the bar to use the shitter if you need to, but don't stop and have a drink at the bar if you're carrying.

You don't carry in bars. Buffalo Wild Wings is a restaurant. Sure it has a bar. Just don't sit at the bar. Sit at a table. Don't get your BAC over 0.05.

I don't find the rules very unclear at all. If you have any questions, there is a CHP Division there available for phone calls. Periodically, Sgt Reavis also meets to discuss current issues and field questions/concerns with invitations to CHP Instructors.

If you don't get the law, imo, you're being deliberately and willfully pedantic and overcomplicating things, or you're looking for an argument, or you haven't had a CHP class with anyone worth their salt.

tigerfan_9

1000 Yard Club
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA

You don't carry in bars.

If a restaurant has a bar then you don't sit at the bar. You can walk THROUGH the bar to use the shitter if you need to, but don't stop and have a drink at the bar if you're carrying.

You don't carry in bars. Buffalo Wild Wings is a restaurant. Sure it has a bar. Just don't sit at the bar. Sit at a table. Don't get your BAC over 0.05.

I don't find the rules very unclear at all. If you have any questions, there is a CHP Division there available for phone calls. Periodically, Sgt Reavis also meets to discuss current issues and field questions/concerns with invitations to CHP Instructors.

If you don't get the law, imo, you're being deliberately and willfully pedantic and overcomplicating things, or you're looking for an argument, or you haven't had a CHP class with anyone worth their salt.

^^^^^ this +1

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

You don't carry in bars.

I find it most disconcerting this many people have this many questions about this subject. Don't discount someone else's intellect or comprehension or lack thereof. My point is if it is that hazy, whether you are intelligent or not, there may be something that can be done.

I don't recall them giving any IQ tests at the CHP instruction.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Do you think the 2nd Amendment is cut and dry, and clear in it's statement? I know I do. I guess that means there shouldn't be any controversy over it's interpretation... oops.

Some people will always do their best to see what they want, or find a way to break a statement out of ulterior motives or unfounded fear.

In the case of the CHP law - people are just being overly concerned and afraid, and trying to find holes or codes in the law that will somehow relieve their fears. The problem is the person, not the law. I think it's quite clear and actually much better written than a lot of engineering and technical writing I have to deal with when people decide to use verbiage instead of drawings.

Every read a legal property description?

You're fighting an endless battle. If you have a suggestion for a better way to word things, feel free to contact the Powers That Be and suggest a revision. Until then, do what Sgt Reavis' office says, and what your CHP Instructor should have already said.

I find that a lot of the people who have questions (myself included) are people who haven't taken a course yet. I used to ask lots of questions so that I could go into the class with a decent idea of where the line is, so that I could ask the 'expert' appropriate and intelligent questions while he was on my paid time. I asked a lot of questions that were quite easily covered and even covered until the typical syllabus.

Since taking my class, I am not confused. It seems quite simple to me, the rules.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom