Long layover in Newark

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    So I have some travel coming up and includes a 9 hour layover in Newark. I have never been through this area so I am not sure what to do for this layover to keep myself sane. Anyone have suggestions on a good place in the airport or close by that I can enjoy?

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I've had layovers there as my wife and I traveled to Nova Scotia to visit her parents. I've never done it but I'm thinking with nine hours to kill you could go to New York City. You can see the Statue of Liberty from the Newark Airport so I'm thinking you can get to New York. It would be a quick visit so do your homework as far as transportation to and from and pick two places to visit and make a beeline there. As far as Newark is concerned I was not real impressed with the area around the airport (very industrial and gloomy) but maybe they do have a few areas worth seeing. Good luck.

Last edited:

csbutton

Unreconstructed
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    As Labeeman said, New York City is right there, and there are many shuttle services to the city from Newark airport. The countryside of New Jersey is beautiful as well, as long as you get away from the city and suburbs...lots of Revolutionary War sites if you like history. The last time I was in Newark proper was on 9/11 and we saw everything unfold from across the river...very sobering. At that time, the part of Newark I was in was near the port, and the surrounding neighborhoods looked like Somalia...burned out cars and barricades made from old tires in the streets, thugs lurking around like vultures.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    There used to be shuttle buses from all the airports into Manhattan. I think the terminal you are delivered to is just on the Manhattan side of the G. Washington Bridge, that you may have heard of lately.

Or, you can take a train and end up at Penn Station, much lower down.

Public transportation is great in NYC but you really need to know what you are doing. If I'm not mistaken, there is a lot within walking distance of Penn Station, Empire State Bldg, Madison Square Garden.

Get a guide and look up things. When you are there, don't be afraid to ask a cop directions or what to do.

If you carry a knife, make sure it's a small one and don't use the clip. Keep it invisible.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom