Looking for a good inexpensive single stage press.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Looking for a fair deal on a press. Not sure I'll need anything else at the moment, but will consider dies too if you want to make that part of a deal.

I'd be looking for .38 Special, .357 Mag, .45-70, 7.62 NATO......

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Does it have to be single stage?

If you are looking at an affordable progressive without breaking the bank I would say the Lee Pro 1000 is what you should get, I own a Dillon 650 with all the bells and whistles and its was $1100 once you add all the little stuff that doesnt come with it granted she is a BAD ASS machine and 99% of the errors are due to the operator but at a high price.

You can land a Lee Pro 1000 online for about $160 bucks with the dies.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Does it have to be single stage?

If you are looking at an affordable progressive without breaking the bank I would say the Lee Pro 1000 is what you should get, I own a Dillon 650 with all the bells and whistles and its was $1100 once you add all the little stuff that doesnt come with it granted she is a BAD ASS machine and 99% of the errors are due to the operator but at a high price.

You can land a Lee Pro 1000 online for about $160 bucks with the dies.

Wow, thanks for the tip. I was just looking for something to do small numbers of rifle bullets, but you are getting me thinking.

I've got a hand me down Square Deal B for .45 ACP (most of what I shoot).

keano44

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I recommend the Lee Classic Cast Turret press. You can de-activate the auto indexing feature and use it like a single stage press; this is how I use it (I like to do reloading procedures in batches). You can keep all your dies set-up on separate turrets and not have to set them up and adjust them every time you go to use them. With a standard two (rifle) or three (pistol) die set, there is still room to add a factory crimp die on the same turret.
    You could use the auto indexing for the pistol calibers you listed, and do single stage operation for the rifle calibers; up to you. Very versatile, and a quality press for a good price.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I recommend the Lee Classic Cast Turret press. You can de-activate the auto indexing feature and use it like a single stage press; this is how I use it (I like to do reloading procedures in batches). You can keep all your dies set-up on separate turrets and not have to set them up and adjust them every time you go to use them. With a standard two (rifle) or three (pistol) die set, there is still room to add a factory crimp die on the same turret.
    You could use the auto indexing for the pistol calibers you listed, and do single stage operation for the rifle calibers; up to you. Very versatile, and a quality press for a good price.

Can you squeeze a 45-70 in the Lee press?

keano44

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    scooterj - Absolutely! From the website, regarding the Lee Classic Cast Turret:
    "The long stroke allows rifle cases over three inches long to be loaded using the automatic index. Deactivate the Auto-Index and cases as long as the monster 50 BMG can be loaded."
    I think Guate_shooter is referring to the progressive Lee Pro 1000. Who really needs a progressive press for 45-70 anyway, right?

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    scooterj - Absolutely! From the website, regarding the Lee Classic Cast Turret:
    "The long stroke allows rifle cases over three inches long to be loaded using the automatic index. Deactivate the Auto-Index and cases as long as the monster 50 BMG can be loaded."
    I think Guate_shooter is referring to the progressive Lee Pro 1000. Who really needs a progressive press for 45-70 anyway, right?

Well I was hoping to build an autoloading rifle for HD and 3 gun. :mamoru:

wrecker704

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Hammond,La
    The Lee turrent press is a good idea. I use mine as a single stage and use my single stage to deprime with. I just got tired of having to reset my dies every time I wanted to do something now I just change the turrent out and ai am reloading. Neither the single stage or the turrent press is that expensive.

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Lee single stage press- yours for $30?

Man, I have one of these just sitting around for years since before Katrina (upstairs) after getting my Lee turret press going. I also have a set of seldom used .308 rifle dies available, since you indicated that was your rifle caliber, didn't you? You can have the press for $30 cash (another $15 for the rifle dies) plus the cost of driving to the City Park/Gentilly area to pick it up. Instead of PM's, I prefer e-mail sent to: saxmanson@gmail.com.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Man, I have one of these just sitting around for years since before Katrina (upstairs) after getting my Lee turret press going. I also have a set of seldom used .308 rifle dies available, since you indicated that was your rifle caliber, didn't you? You can have the press for $30 cash (another $15 for the rifle dies) plus the cost of driving to the City Park/Gentilly area to pick it up. Instead of PM's, I prefer e-mail sent to: saxmanson@gmail.com.

Snap! Not to be a vulcher, but if he skips on this, and you ever find yourself in the SWLA area, be sure to let me know!!

-Dave

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom