Looking for a knife

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I've come to the conclusion that I could use a nice knife for Christmas. Since I'm fairly unorganized, and things tend to get misplaced for short periods of time, I would like to keep the budget under $85ish.

This is the knife I've got right now, a Colt Cobra with a 3-3/16" blade -

COLT0050ST.jpg

The things I love about this knife are the Tanto blade, the serrations, the hearty aluminum frame (doubles as a hammer), the little "bump" on the back side of the blade to assist with opening, and the nice pocket clip.

The only thing I hate about this knife is how easy the blade edge is to chip, nick, and dent. It will hold a nice razor edge for maybe a day and a half MAX. The blade (to me) seems cheap and not durable enough for what I want in a knife.

Now - before I ask for suggestions - I DO use my knife ALOT. I do try to take decent care of my knife, but I view it as a tool to get things done when improvisation is needed. The knife needs to be as durable as possible, with the best quality blade that's in my price range.

My only requirements -

The knife body needs to be metal/aluminum. I like the composite body knives, but the weight of the metal body gives it extra stability and "heft". Basically, I want a heavy knife.

Although I would LOVE to find a Tanto blade with half serration, I guess any blade will do. My buddy is a die hard cold steel guy, and I've been pretty impressed with their blades. The blade needs to be hard and resist chipping.

A "finger assist" on the spine of the knife to help in opening the blade one handed. This has helped me numerous times, and it protects your fingers when the blade is opened. This one is a definite.

A pocket clip is usually a standard feature now, but some still don't have them. This is a definite.

So, would you guys happen to know of any good suggestions? I've been searching high and low, and for some reason there is nothing within my criteria.

Thanks a bunch - DAVE

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Pangris - please don't get me started looking at the H&K again. I fell in love with it at first sight.......... until I saw the price tag.

I really like the linerlock feature to aid in one handed closing.

I'm looking at this knife, but wish it had the tanto blade -

http://www.coldsteel.com/ak47.html

Like I mentioned earlier, this knife is used many times daily - eating (I know mom, I have no manners), stirring stuff, grabbing things, cleaning fingernails, attempting to use as a screwdriver, etc. The more durable the better.

DAVE

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Yeah - you can pick up the Cold Steel one for $50ish online.

Would you happen to have a link to a page with specs and part number on the H&K knife? I remember flipping through a catalog seeing that it was in the $200 range if I remember.........

DAVE

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Pangris - I was looking for the exact one that you had pictured earlier. The black/black model.

The only thing that worries me is that Cold Steel is a dedicated knife company. The H&K knife can be some taiwanese POS that H&K decided to slap their logo on - the same case as my "Colt" Cobra knife.

Do you own one of the H&K knives, or atleast had experience/fondled one??

DAVE

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Boker makes some fine knives...

This one looks pretty mean..
    Boker%20JimWag%20Tanto.jpg

I carry a Boker almost everyday. Its a very nice knife..

I have this & do not like it...hard to open, not fast at all.

Mine could have a problem with it somehow...its something I will not carry but will bring in a BoB for the sake of making a spear.

www.steepandcheap.com had SOG Twitch II for $31 today...I have to Twitch XL, best knife that I have owned to date...opens as fast as an Auto knife and has a premium blade on it. I would check there throughout the night, I doubt they sold them all yet.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Damn you pangris, you lead me on AGAIN for a knife that I can't even f-ing own. It's an auto opener, so it's a no go for me. ****, and I REALLY liked that knife.

Bleh, back to the drawing board.

I also saw the SOG on steepandcheap, but it's missing my beloved tanto/serrated blade. Damn nice knife though.

Hopefully someone can chime in tomorrow morning and help me out.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    ORLY!! I might just check out the SOG then. I thought it only had the drop point blade.

Here is the link -

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=BMHK14455SBT

I'm growing quite fond of the SOG, but how hard is it to close the knife?? It's nice to be able to close the knife one handed when doing certain tasks, but I don't think that's going to be possible with the lock on the spine.

DAVE

EDIT - Damn, I see that the SOG has some retarded safety on it. I don't want that **** getting in my way when I need to use it. Does the safety mysteriously "activate" itself in your pocket making the knife impossible to open one handed??

Last edited:

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    EDIT - Damn, I see that the SOG has some retarded safety on it. I don't want that **** getting in my way when I need to use it. Does the safety mysteriously "activate" itself in your pocket making the knife impossible to open one handed??

Yep, it is the only flaw with the knife...loctite it, IMO.

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-3380-Knife-Flashlight-Combo/dp/B0018P491C/ref=xs_gb_ABB9AO33ZDD1R?_encoding=UTF8&pfRdReplace=1[/ame]

Manimal just asked me to put this here. Good deal on knife/light combo.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    Benchmade Blue class or better. Don't bother with the Red class. Also note that some of the HK stuff is made out of country, stick to the USA stuff. My .02

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qyaswjmg24E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qyaswjmg24E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Well, I got the knife, and I'm pretty impressed. I was weary of having an assisted opener, but im happy I got it. My only complaints are the stupid "blade lock" and the blade length - it looked way bigger on the web.

Overall, I'm glad I got it, and man is it sharp!

DAVE

Top Bottom