Looking for a new job.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nomadicdread

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    It's finally dawned on me to try my luck here and I don't recall this being against the forum rules, so why not!

For the past eleven years I have been working in the event production and trade show industries. Since moving to New Orleans, I've learned just how seasonal those industries are in the this region and now I'm looking for a change or to find a company that provides full time work and benefits. Neither of which I currently have with either employer.

I also have experience working for non profit organizations and have always been the go to guy because I have always respond before the problem becomes an issue. Also, I'm the guy who is sent into see the pissed off client, to hear them out and correct the issue to their satisfaction. I work well with people, and can handle working on projects also, being the lead and being a follower. My years have also given me experience in sales, department budgeting, volunteer coordinating, public speaking, interviewing potential employees and dismissing employees. I also work well with children.

I have no criminal history and I am drug free.

If I can be of service to you, please let me know.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Move to India. Customer service is a lost art in this country, believe me.

I'd start looking for jobs out of state, and with your background, most likely sales.

Until November, it'll be tough to find something worth while, and depending on how things go, maybe even harder. I'm currently on the hunt myself.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    It's finally dawned on me to try my luck here and I don't recall this being against the forum rules, so why not!

For the past eleven years I have been working in the event production and trade show industries. Since moving to New Orleans, I've learned just how seasonal those industries are in the this region and now I'm looking for a change or to find a company that provides full time work and benefits. Neither of which I currently have with either employer.

I also have experience working for non profit organizations and have always been the go to guy because I have always respond before the problem becomes an issue. Also, I'm the guy who is sent into see the pissed off client, to hear them out and correct the issue to their satisfaction. I work well with people, and can handle working on projects also, being the lead and being a follower. My years have also given me experience in sales, department budgeting, volunteer coordinating, public speaking, interviewing potential employees and dismissing employees. I also work well with children.

You might try auto sales or waiting tables and climbing to management (My X roommate's made around $40K a year waiting tables where you live). With regard to customer satisfaction and keeping the peace, noone cares about that here I have found. Look around and see how angry people in this state are. That was one of the first things I noticed when I got here. Everyone is always "mean mugging", I think the locals call it. It's a way of life. "How "hard" can I look?"

Last edited:

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I hope it won't be that hard when I get home from the sandbox early next year. Last time, when I left Iraq last May, it took me 6 months to find something decent. I really wanted to work for the Sheriff Dept. but they decided to wait to call until I was back overseas this past April. :curse:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Go to MoodleRooms.com and check to see how to submit a resume.

They are a good company located in Baltimore. They do lots of events and trade shows. They also need salesmen.

PM me if you need more info.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

Aside from sales, what skills do you have? Can you change the oil on a car, can you build a dresser from raw lumber, can you program a computer, etc. etc. etc.?

If you're looking for a job and can't find one, it might be a good idea to identify your skills and broaden your search.

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    Trying to be funny here sounds like you need a good laugh ,we need someone with your skills in the white house .
    On a serious note Tupelo,Ms. Has a large furniture market and once a month flea . Good luck .

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    What did you do in event production? I use to be a contractor with sound and lighting. Trade shows, conventions, concerts, festivals, etc. It is hit or miss but you can make a decent living if you are willing to jump on a gig with short notice and have contacts with a few different companies. I got out of the biz when I started having a family. Odd hours and coming home at all hours of the night took a toll and I wanted my evenings/weekends free to be with the family.

nomadicdread

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    Aside from sales, what skills do you have? Can you change the oil on a car, can you build a dresser from raw lumber, can you program a computer, etc. etc. etc.?

If you're looking for a job and can't find one, it might be a good idea to identify your skills and broaden your search.

Yes, except program a computer. Although, they dresser may not be the prettiest after I'm done. But it would be functional.

nomadicdread

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    Trying to be funny here sounds like you need a good laugh ,we need someone with your skills in the white house .
    On a serious note Tupelo,Ms. Has a large furniture market and once a month flea . Good luck .

Last week, I announced my intentions to be elected President of these united states in 2016.

nomadicdread

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    What did you do in event production? I use to be a contractor with sound and lighting. Trade shows, conventions, concerts, festivals, etc. It is hit or miss but you can make a decent living if you are willing to jump on a gig with short notice and have contacts with a few different companies. I got out of the biz when I started having a family. Odd hours and coming home at all hours of the night took a toll and I wanted my evenings/weekends free to be with the family.

Currently, I'm mixing festivals and one offs. Also, I'm working exhibits and meeting rooms. I agree, lots of weird hours but every time it gets long and rough, I tell my self, "I volunteered for this, no one made me do it. And most days, my job is pretty cool. Who else gets to listen to live music for a living?"

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Currently, I'm mixing festivals and one offs. Also, I'm working exhibits and meeting rooms. I agree, lots of weird hours but every time it gets long and rough, I tell my self, "I volunteered for this, no one made me do it. And most days, my job is pretty cool. Who else gets to listen to live music for a living?"

I know the feeling. I did the contract work and also mixed on Bourbon St. I got to the point where I went out and bought a powered system and mix freelance now. Rig is large enough for small outdoor events or med clubs (Hurricanes, Legends, etc). I have a trailer and keep the system in there and just go when I get a call. I get to work with who I want and if I dont want to work on a certain weekend I just dont book anything. Works well for me now. Thinking about getting back into playing again. We'll see how that goes.

Last edited:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish

You sound a lot like a project manager. I've worked in IT in manufacturing, communications, oil & gas, insurance, computer game development, pharmaceuticals, government, civil works construction, and recruiting, and almost all of those fields used project managers to some degree. If you want to get out of the entertainment industry (and it sounds like a good idea to me) you should identify the field you want to pursue, then apply to do project management in that field.

Here's an idea. A lot of companies do federal government contracting, and as such are always looking for "billable bodies". These are people who may or may not be exactly qualified to do consulting, but who can look good and get the job done. Federal government contractors (the employers) are less likely to be sticklers for degrees and such, and so you're more likely to get in the door with them. Once in, you can demo your organizational skills and generally make yourself useful to the clients. Once your clients (the government employees and managers) decide that you're useful, they will find ways to keep you around even if it involves bending the rules.

The other great thing about federal government consulting is the govt. is not in the business of turning a profit. They deal with their vendors based on fair market value + or - 10%, so it can be quite profitable for an enterprising person. I've done this for over a decade, and I've gotten pretty good at it.

joey9139122

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    What about working in the movie business. Production assistant or something like that. Get a gig on the bottom and if you are as good at getting it done as you sound like you are, they will notice quickly and you will move on up.

I have a buddy that got a gig woking for Paramount down here and it has turned into a pretty good full time job... weird hours sometimes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom