Looking for Hiking trails southeastern LA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnnyd0812

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2022
    New Orleans
    Hey everyone, I'm new to this page, I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent hiking trails (not leevees) in southeastern LA. Now that it's not miserably hot I'd like to get out more!

Thanks!

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Down the app AllTrails. It lists all of hiking trails in the US. It give you a location, rate the level from easy on up along with a description and rating from users. You can search by location, city and state.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Clark's Creek is awesome, waterfalls at the Mississippi/Louisiana border.

Red Bluff is a beautiful spot too, but not in SE La...https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/mississippi/red-bluff-canyon-hike-in-foxworth-ms/

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Not the question you asked, but something to look at is Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas if you want some more 'intense' hiking off the beaten path a bit.

It's a 30 mile loop that takes 2-3 days to complete.

marinetaco01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Madsionville, LA
    Not the question you asked, but something to look at is Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas if you want some more 'intense' hiking off the beaten path a bit.

It's a 30 mile loop that takes 2-3 days to complete.
    Same ish driving time if you wanted to hit the AT approach trail.

Don’t sleep on the Pinhoti either. It’s relatively close and is a great hike in the fall.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Decades ago when I was hiking the Appalachians every year, I would prep by hiking the levee in St Bernard Parish with a full pack. I'm not sure you can even do that anymore, or if it's even a good idea. May sound boring, but I found it pretty interesting to see the goings on in the river, and I met a few people along the way. I saw my first 6 foot catfish while doing that. It was bigger than either of the two Vietnamese guys pulling it up the levee near Violet. I never knew those things were in the river until then.

MikeBurke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2017
    Delcambre, LA
    More central but there is Indian Creek Reservoir Loop near Woodworth. It is a 3.5 loop. Not a difficult trail, good reviews in general.

Wild Azelea is also near Woodworth. I hiked (backpacked) the entire trail (Around 25 miles) a few years back and enjoyed it. It is point to point so we had two vehicles.

Eagle Rock was a great trail, it is the closest trail that is in what I would consider mountains from where I live.

Not very many great choices in our area, I walk the Atchafalaya levee for exercise.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    More central but there is Indian Creek Reservoir Loop near Woodworth. It is a 3.5 loop. Not a difficult trail, good reviews in general.

Wild Azelea is also near Woodworth. I hiked (backpacked) the entire trail (Around 25 miles) a few years back and enjoyed it. It is point to point so we had two vehicles.

Eagle Rock was a great trail, it is the closest trail that is in what I would consider mountains from where I live.

Not very many great choices in our area, I walk the Atchafalaya levee for exercise.
    Agreed on all of the above.

I'm actually hiking about 115 miles of the Ozark Trail later this month and am sooooo pumped!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Agreed on all of the above.

I'm actually hiking about 115 miles of the Ozark Trail later this month and am sooooo pumped!
    I never posted about this, but oh my was this the hardest thing I've ever done. We ended up doing the Ozark Highland Trail (OHT) for 7 days during basically a drought.

It was brutal.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Black Creek Trail (near Brooklyn, MS) is a great hike.

Richardson's Trail is nice near McComb. Lots of hills.

Tuxachanie (off hwy 49) is pretty flat. make sure you pack enough water.

Check out Sipsey, AL.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom