Looking for opinions on scopes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wikun

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    Metairie, La
    I am sure that there are as many opinions as the day is long. However I am deep down the rabbit hole and I am hoping that someone can pull me out. I have a rem 700 in hs precision stock with a timney and I need glass. I have a couple of must haves worked out which doesn't leave too much on the table, but maybe there are some boutique options that I am missing. I just found out about Rudolph Optics and Lynx optics from South Africa. Again, way too deep down the rabbit hole.

With that said, FFP, Mil reticle and Mil Turrets, preferably with a christmas tree style reticle, good glass, good tracking for dialing 1000-1500 dollars. I have the Steiner T5x and Trijicon tenmile, but what am I missing? Nikon 1000? I've heard the Burris XTR is dark.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wikun

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    Metairie, La
    Also I've heard about the DLO recommending the brownells match. What say the hive, are we ready to say that is a good scope? or maybe the Bushnell

Wikun

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    Metairie, La
    just to clarify-are you shooting 1000-1500 yards or spending 1000-1500 dollars or both?
    Both. Pretend this is for building a PRS bolt gun. What would you stack on top of it and why probably would have been the better question to start with.

I looked at the nightforce SHV, but I am hearing that I'll regret not going ATARC and that isn't in the budget. I'm not a vortex guy (used to be) even though the PST would be perfect there. I'd like an upscale Japanese or German made scope personally for this. I've got Trijicon Tenmile, Steiner T5XI SCR, Nightforce SHV, Nikon 1000, Leupold Mark 5HD in my sights so to speak, but are there any options everyone thinks that I'm missing and why?

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Understood. I agree with what you heard. I have a SHV and it’s nice but for a PRS gun I would get the ATARC. For Vortex you could get a Razor for that budget

Wikun

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    Metairie, La
    Im keeping the Vortex options in the back pocket for now. I'm in the camp that what they came to market with almost 20 years ago and what is currently on the market are two different products. The warranty is great, but when multiple scopes go back multiple times, you go maybe try something different.

Aside from that anything else?

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    Take a look at Tract scopes. same as my Kahles? No, but I’ve have a few for hunting and prarie dog rifles that are good.

TORIC UHD 30mm 4-20X50 FFP MRAD PRS Long Range​

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Im keeping the Vortex options in the back pocket for now. I'm in the camp that what they came to market with almost 20 years ago and what is currently on the market are two different products. The warranty is great, but when multiple scopes go back multiple times, you go maybe try something different.

Aside from that anything else?
    Burris Extreme or US Optics TS

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    I have been impressed with Riton Scopes recently. Nikon was my go to brand but they stopped making Rifle Scopes. So everything for me has been Vortex and Riton.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Of all the optics I’ve spent over $500 on, the best value I’ve gotten is from Athlon. If I was looking for another 30mm tube 20x or better with a 50+mm objective they would be my first choice for the money. I did buy 2 of mine before they really took off so I’m guessing they’re higher priced now, but I would put them on par with Nightforce, Steiner, Zeiss, etc. You would think there should be a lot of difference in two scopes priced $500-1000 apart, but I don’t see $1000 worth of difference over the Athlon. They are definitely better than the best Nikon and Vortex scopes that I own and have outstanding customer service and warranty.
    Just my 2 cents

Wikun

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    Metairie, La
    Nice great options and thoughts. Anytime I buy I try to buy american, and that website helped alot to identify where parts come from and assembly. I went with the XTRiii They were made in US, the new one with illumination is PI, but the one I bought still US.

That TS25 is made in China. No knock, I was just trying to buy US for once. Seems like everything is made over there nowadays. The Athlons are very nice relative to cost, I own 2 and Argus and a Talos. Both nice for sure.

Next for glass is an LPVO optics for an AR build. Great comments and thoughts. Thanks

fng

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    I am sure that there are as many opinions as the day is long. However I am deep down the rabbit hole and I am hoping that someone can pull me out. I have a rem 700 in hs precision stock with a timney and I need glass. I have a couple of must haves worked out which doesn't leave too much on the table, but maybe there are some boutique options that I am missing. I just found out about Rudolph Optics and Lynx optics from South Africa. Again, way too deep down the rabbit hole.

With that said, FFP, Mil reticle and Mil Turrets, preferably with a christmas tree style reticle, good glass, good tracking for dialing 1000-1500 dollars. I have the Steiner T5x and Trijicon tenmile, but what am I missing? Nikon 1000? I've heard the Burris XTR is dark.

Any help would be appreciated.

no need to complicate things...

fng

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    Next for glass is an LPVO optics for an AR build. Great comments and thoughts. Thanks

or

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Athlon and Arken have both really impressed me recently.

Top Bottom