Looking for real backpack advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I just don’t feel like I get to use out of it like I thought that I would.

I think of 40 would’ve been the better choice.
    Yeah, I think I'm in the same boat. Most of my hikes are in northern Arkansas...or we travel to different parts of the US. I much prefer to hike in mountains than the South.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I'm a long-time Scout leader with a Troop in Baton Rouge. Alps Mountaineering brand supports Scouting. Their gear is dang near almost as good as Osprey... checks in around $250 for a full-size trek pack vs Osprey's $350. However, if you go through www.hikerdirect.com, you can register as a Scouter (they will ask credentials) and enjoy the discounts. That same $250 pack is $150 right now, for instance. I have saved thousands of dollars over the years! They have some nice Canyon 55 packs for $115. They also have tents, air mattresses, sleeping bags, compression sacks/dry bags, furniture, etc.

As far as backpacking is concerned, I went to Philmont as a lead advisor. I had a z-fold thermarest strapped to the outside/bottom of my pack and the bottom compartment of my pack was where I stowed my ultralight sleeping bag, air mattress, blanket and pillow. The central compartment had 2 extra Nalgene bottles at the bottom, followed by tent, clothes bag, smellable bag, rain suit, and first aid kit at the top. Side outside zipper pockets were misc gear, pocket rocket stove, fuel, important papers, trowel, lantern, extra straps, etc. The brain (detachable converts to fanny pack) of my pack had my food bag, survivsl ditty bag with map, compass, flashlight, ferro rod, lighter, tinder box, and water filter. I had one Nalgene bottle in each outside bottle pocket. Sometimes I would have to carry the crew tarp or bear bag, if so I would strap to the outside of my pack.

Hope this helps! Remember that a backpack is a bag of bags. You need to get a few dry bags and compression sacks for your gear.

Also, note that Cub Scouts is more family-oriented car camping for kids. You won't get into backpacking until the Scouts BSA (formerly Boy Scouts) level. Even then, some Troops don't do it very often, so shop around for the right Troop that does. You do not have to join the Troop that this Cub Scout Pack steers you to.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I had a z-fold thermarest strapped to the outside/bottom of my pack and the bottom compartment of my pack was where I stowed my ultralight sleeping bag, air mattress, blanket and pillow. The central compartment had 2 extra Nalgene bottles at the bottom, followed by tent, clothes bag, smellable bag, rain suit, and first aid kit at the top.
    Foam pads are decent for car camping and short hikes, but they don't excel very well in cold. The best Thermarest foam pad has an r-value of 2, which is great for summer camping, but very poor for cold weather camping. Most people don't know it, but sleeping pads are as important as, if not more important than your cover (sleeping bag or quilt).

Why so many Nalgene bottles?

marinetaco01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Madsionville, LA
    You need to get a few dry bags and compression sacks for your gear.
    I’ve gone stuff sack free and find my pack packs better.

I line with nylofume pack liner. Shove my sleep clothes and pillow in the foot box of my quilt then stuff that in the bottom letting it fill out the bottom of the bag. Sleep pad goes next.

Close off the liner.

Tent in next.

Food bag on top (stove, pot, fuel, etc is in there)

I do have two small granite gear zip ditties that I carry. One is my ditty bag and one for a small first aid kit. That goes on top.

Close the pack and I’m done with the contents that go in the pack.

I’m down to a 40l pack now unless I’m hunting.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Foam pads are decent for car camping and short hikes, but they don't excel very well in cold. The best Thermarest foam pad has an r-value of 2, which is great for summer camping, but very poor for cold weather camping. Most people don't know it, but sleeping pads are as important as, if not more important than your cover (sleeping bag or quilt).

Why so many Nalgene bottles?

We were on a 12-day trek at Philmont Scout Ranch in the southern Rockies in June. Our coldest night was 40 degrees. I use the foam pad in combination with an ultra-light air mattress. There are a lot of dry camps. Some days, you need enough water for the day, the night, and half of the next day. Other days, you know you'll have water at camp that evening, so you only fill 2. Just depends on your itinerary.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Osprey makes quality gear. I am a very big fan of their "Anti-gravity" frame system. It's easily worth the two pounds I could save by going with a frameless pack.
    After years of aluminum frame packs I consented to being fit for the osprey. This is my second one in maybe 6-8 years and it’s my all time favorite. The way the frame is contoured to fit your shoulders and spine is a good connection for carrying a load. People undersell comfort when they look for a pack. You struggle to an extent with a poor fit or bad balance and that little bit over a day’s hike can wear you down and beat you up. I watched a guy lose his footing and fall/slide about 30 foot down a steep grade because he was getting slung around by a poor fitting pack. We rearranged his gear and adjusted his straps and listened to him thank us the rest of the day, lol, but we were thankful he was ok.
    I’m a minimalist on a hike, (unlike my campouts!) so a simple lightweight fly and some cordage will do for shelter and I have a couple of mummy type ultralight down bags that I like. One is laced with thinsulate and reflective material that I’ve used in the teens with a couple of hand warmers thrown in. I’m a big fan of lightweight hammocks and ridge line shelter during moderate to warm weather hikes. That’s something you can tie up in 2 minutes if you want to park real quick and sit out a rainstorm. As said, the flat blow up sleeping pads are super, some self inflate when you open the vent. Anyway, all this was geared to the OP. Get out there and enjoy the seldom seen wonders and see what works best for you.

Attachments

• IMG_4052.jpeg
      IMG_4052.jpeg
      429.5 KB · Views: 10
    • IMG_4053.jpeg
      IMG_4053.jpeg
      509.1 KB · Views: 10

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    After years of aluminum frame packs I consented to being fit for the osprey. This is my second one in maybe 6-8 years and it’s my all time favorite. The way the frame is contoured to fit your shoulders and spine is a good connection for carrying a load. People undersell comfort when they look for a pack. You struggle to an extent with a poor fit or bad balance and that little bit over a day’s hike can wear you down and beat you up. I watched a guy lose his footing and fall/slide about 30 foot down a steep grade because he was getting slung around by a poor fitting pack. We rearranged his gear and adjusted his straps and listened to him thank us the rest of the day, lol, but we were thankful he was ok.
    I have the exact same pack as you and love it. I absolutely wouldn't give up the comfort of it just to save a few pounds...especially when I can just shave a few pounds off of me the weeks before the hike!
    I’m a minimalist on a hike, (unlike my campouts!) so a simple lightweight fly and some cordage will do for shelter and I have a couple of mummy type ultralight down bags that I like. One is laced with thinsulate and reflective material that I’ve used in the teens with a couple of hand warmers thrown in. I’m a big fan of lightweight hammocks and ridge line shelter during moderate to warm weather hikes. That’s something you can tie up in 2 minutes if you want to park real quick and sit out a rainstorm. As said, the flat blow up sleeping pads are super, some self inflate when you open the vent. Anyway, all this was geared to the OP. Get out there and enjoy the seldom seen wonders and see what works best for you.
    Dude you should check out the quilts made by Enlightened Equipment. I've yet to find anything that can compete with them.

As for pads, I'd steer away from self-inflating pads. They have a place, but it's not for most people...especially with how awesome modern inflating pads are.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom