Looking for scope input

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shifter268

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 14, 2021
    Metairie
    I recently acquired a new .308 rifle looking to use it from about 50 all the way to 500 yards. The issue is I am looking for an illuminated reticle that is not an LED or Holo sight as they do not work for me. I don't know if there are varying illuminated scopes but if anyone would know it would be y'all on here.
    I've looked into the possibility of a tritium variable scope but found nothing.
    I should also point out this is a semi automatic rifle.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Riverc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Torbert,La.
    Well not sure if this will be helpful,i bought a Meopta Optika 5 with a Red Dot. installed it on my .308 looking forward to deer season to try it out.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    He said NOT LED OR HOLOGRAPHIC… only option u got is fiber tritium after that
    Yeah, I SAW THAT PART, and I mentioned for the OP to correct me if I was wrong, and I also wonder if it was meant like that (he also said no holographic and I was trying to make sense of it all since it didn’t quite fit) which is why I DIRECTED MY POST TO THE OP, to possibly clarify…so I’m gonna address the OP again.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I do like that scope, but I don't think it could withstand the recoil impulse of a semi auto.

That was a scope i was considering but it has too high of an initial magnification for a short range use.

I’m pretty sure the Vortex will handle the recoil but I’m puzzled as to why the type of light illuminating the reticle would matter. Otherwise there are other scopes with lower power magnification.
    Just curious.
    Also, when you say variable, do you mean magnification or the intensity of the light source illuminating the ret?

Last edited:

AndyG

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 3, 2019
    Lafayette, LA
    Last edited:

shifter268

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 14, 2021
    Metairie
    I put holographic in there because i wasn't sure if those even existed but if they did I still couldn't use them. I'm trying to find a tritium illuminated possibly first focal plane 1-8x scope if something close to that even exists.
    Yeah, I SAW THAT PART, and I mentioned for the OP to correct me if I was wrong, and I also wonder if it was meant like that (he also said no holographic and I was trying to make sense of it all since it didn’t quite fit) which is why I DIRECTED MY POST TO THE OP, to possibly clarify…so I’m gonna address the OP again.

shifter268

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 14, 2021
    Metairie
    I’m pretty sure the Vortex will handle the recoil but I’m puzzled as to why the type of light illuminating the reticle would matter. Otherwise there are other scopes with lower power magnification.
    Just curious.
    Also, when you say variable, do you mean magnification or the intensity of the light source illuminating the ret?
    When i say variable i mean the magnification. And the type of illuminated reticle is important because i have a stigmatism. I've owned eo techs and red dots but had to get rid of them because i just see double reticles or a big smudge of a reticle. The only thing I've found to work so far is tritium and I want an illuminated reticle.

andysteb

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 27, 2017
    Hahnville, la
    When i say variable i mean the magnification. And the type of illuminated reticle is important because i have a stigmatism. I've owned eo techs and red dots but had to get rid of them because i just see double reticles or a big smudge of a reticle. The only thing I've found to work so far is tritium and I want an illuminated reticle.

Have you ever tried a LPVO with a led backlit reticle?

Eotech and red dots work by reflecting light back into your eye. Its the refraction of light in your eye that causes the blurriness. Variable power optics and fixed power prism scopes work differently in that there is an etched piece of glass inside the scope that your eye focuses on.

You mentioned that you didn't have a problem with tritium, but you didn't mention what scope it was. I'm willing to bet it was a prism scope and it was the prism and etched reticle and not the tritium that help with your astigmatism.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Eotech and red dots work by reflecting light back into your eye. Its the refraction of light in your eye that causes the blurriness. Variable power optics and fixed power prism scopes work differently in that there is an etched piece of glass inside the scope that your eye focuses on.

You mentioned that you didn't have a problem with tritium, but you didn't mention what scope it was. I'm willing to bet it was a prism scope and it was the prism and etched reticle and not the tritium that help with your astigmatism.
    I had the same thoughts. A lit reticle on a scope is a lot different than a superimposed red dot or Eotech. If you don’t have a problem with the reticle when black you shouldn’t have a problem with the view when it’s lit.
    Whatever the case, I’ll bet the OP would be better served if he had a few scopes to peer through and see what works.

Last edited:

BlueJay73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2021
    Baton Rouge, La.
    I also have astimatism. There are prism scopes with illuminated reticles that work well with astimatism. Prism scopes may have other purposes, but one purpose is that they are made specifically for people with astimatism. I have a Vortex Viper 3-15 prism scope with illuminated etched reticle. I have problems with red dots and holographics, but no problems with prism scopes.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I also have astimatism. There are prism scopes with illuminated reticles that work well with astimatism. Prism scopes may have other purposes, but one purpose is that they are made specifically for people with astimatism. I have a Vortex Viper 3-15 prism scope with illuminated etched reticle. I have problems with red dots and holographics, but no problems with prism scopes.
    I’m betting you’ve not tried a regular old run of the mill rifle scope with an illuminated ret. if a regular rifle scope works for you, astigmatism or not, when a fixed reticle has a few rays of light shining on it, you’ll be able to see it just fine too, which would give you very many to choose from and I believe you’d find the exact magnification you’re looking for. I don’t believe having an astigmatism requires a prism scope.

shifter268

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 14, 2021
    Metairie

The tritium scope that worked for me was an ACOG 4x32 which i really love except for this rifle i want variable. And i have never looked through an illuminated scope only Red dots with magnifiers. That's what I have to go off of.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom