Looking for some help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I'm kinda new to the forum here, but have been doing a hell of a lot of reading and research. I bought a new 700 VS a few weeks ago and just getting back from offshore to find my Badger base and rings had arrived. Time to put it all together and see what it'll do.

Getting everything lined up...
    IMG_4398.jpg

The base...
    IMG_4402.jpg

The rings and scope...
    IMG_4404.jpg

With everything on. This is how I'll be shooting the gun until I have shot the barrel out, or am limited by it's accuracy.
    IMG_4411.jpg

IMG_4412.jpg

Range time. I meant to get some pictures on the firing line today, but forgot the camera at home. I brought back a few of the targets so I can have some of you analyze them. I'm looking for someone here in Louisiana who may be able to get help me with my form and methods. For now, I know I just need as much trigger time as possible.

My groups are looking pretty good I think with the exception of flyers. I'm not only new to the forums, but new to precision shooting as well. I have a Savage Mark II FV that should come in next week for practice and cheaper trigger time. However, this pattern seemed to be the norm for the day.
    IMG_4417.jpg

IMG_4421.jpg

That's .9 moa for the first group and .915 for the second. 5 shots of Fed. Gold Medal Match 168gr. BTHP at 100yds. It was about 68degrees with a very slight mist on and off. Less than ideal conditions, but I was eager to see what the gun had.

Without the flyer I'm looking at .3 moa.
    IMG_4423.jpg

For my first day out I'm REALLY pleased with this stick and figure that once I start shooting my reloads and get the stock bedded the groups will get even tighter. I know without seeing me shoot it's hard to tell, but is there anything I can do to help control the flyers? Is that something that I may be able to take care of with the right powder/seating depth/weight combo?

Top Kek

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    nola
    i've got a 700 PSS myself. i put a box of the same ammo through it when i got it. while i won't say the groupings were bad, i got much better results from 168gr BTHP moly hornady match.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Welcome Ritten
    Less less than 1 moa with factory amo out of a brand new non custom barrel is pretty good. Give the barrel a little time and try some different ammo after a while and I'm sure you will consistently achieve .5 if not better.

What scope is that? I think I know but I figured I'd ask.

Top Bottom