WTB: Looking for some Unique Powder.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    Thanks I will read into those. Was looking into True Blue but can not find much info for 44mag.

scroll down to page 81...
    Herco is not listed in this year manual, but is listed in earlier ones. I started using Herco many yrs ago when Unique was in short supply. The rule of thumb for Herco use is 1/2grn more then the Unique load.
    In order to clean up my load bench and eliminate accidental powder charges, I went to Herco in all my pistol loads , .45acp .45lc and when I had 9mm and 44mag I used it
    I also use it in 45-70 light to moderate loads

A little more info on cast vs jacketed..

Last edited:

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA

scroll down to page 81...
    Herco is not listed in this year manual, but is listed in earlier ones. I started using Herco many yrs ago when Unique was in short supply. The rule of thumb for Herco use is 1/2grn more then the Unique load.
    In order to clean up my load bench and eliminate accidental powder charges, I went to Herco in all my pistol loads , .45acp .45lc and when I had 9mm and 44mag I used it
    I also use it in 45-70 light to moderate loads

A little more info on cast vs jacketed..
    Thanks. Could I use the 44 special load data for the 44 mag case and just incrementally increase the charge? I am still not seeing reduced 44mag load data. Even with the Herco Data it is still at mag level.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Thanks. Could I use the 44 special load data for the 44 mag case and just incrementally increase the charge? I am still not seeing reduced 44mag load data. Even with the Herco Data it is still at mag level.
    Yes you can no problem

I have shot 44spl loads with cast in 44mag cases as,well as 38spl in 357 for many years.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Thanks all this is giving me a start. I bought a Smith 69 and full house 44 loads are a handful. I can handle them but have no need. I got the 69 with the intention of splitting the difference between 44 special and 44mag.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    Thanks all this is giving me a start. I bought a Smith 69 and full house 44 loads are a handful. I can handle them but have no need. I got the 69 with the intention of splitting the difference between 44 special and 44mag.
    You can use the .44 mag cases. Look at the load data for the .44 special. Plenty of powders other than the ones I mentioned. I use Herco cause it has a " soft " recoil, even when pushed to it's upper limit.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Well I scored a pound of Unique and it did not go as far as I thought. So looking for some more.

Giving away reloads as Christmas presents this year.

10grs of Unique, 240 SWC coated, 44 mag @1050fps. In festive colors.

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
      Untitled-2.jpg
      304.9 KB · Views: 4
    You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom