Looking to Purchase a 308 Rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twistedridge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Gonzales
    I am just getting into competetive shooting and would like to know what kind of rifle i may need to purchase. I have been looking at the Ruger MK 77 with a bull barrel and a fat wooden stock with a floated barrel.

ANY SUGGESTIONS????

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Twisted Ridge,
    Welcome to the site.
    I would suggest moving this post over to the competition forum. Just ask a Mod to move it. The guys that compete & post here will be a big help to you.

I'm no expert but the Remington 700 and Savage will warrant a look. It depends on some factors like which events, budget and the like.

Later,
    RDO

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    One will be along shortly. You need to PM dzlenka he posted in your intro thread. He is the man on competion rifle shooting. Send him a PM, get his number and give him a call.

When you say competive do you mean highprecision bolt gun type shooting or Military M1A?

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    ...the Remington 700 and Savage will warrant a look. It depends on some factors like which events, budget and the like.

+100

On the cheap end take a look at the Savage Police models or the 700sps tactical and then spend at least the same amount on a good scope, mount and rings.

On the high end check out G.A. Precision, or Patriot Arms' websites and then make a worthwhile INVESTMENT in good glass.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    One will be along shortly. You need to PM dzlenka he posted in your intro thread. He is the man on competion rifle shooting. Send him a PM, get his number and give him a call.

When you say competive do you mean highprecision bolt gun type shooting or Military M1A?
    Barney make a good point. I just assumed bolt gun due to Ruger MK 77 ref.

Last edited:

tuckerrnr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    For dollar spent out of the box, the Savage would be your best bet. The 700 is the AR15 of bolt guns with the most aftermarket following. Most rifles will outshoot the operator (mine included). I run a FN SPR 20".

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    First a budget would help. I know for a fact one of the most accurate out of the box barreled action are the Howas. Their Varminter line is capable of shooting .27MOA groups out of the box. As the others said, other good choices are the Savage and Remington police lines. If you have a higher budget, check out the TacOps line of rifles. It's amazing what they're capable of. .110MOA easy.

twistedridge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Gonzales
    I have around a 700 dollar budget for a rifle and 200 to 350 for a scope. Starting off small with hopes of working my way up with experience.

First a budget would help. I know for a fact one of the most accurate out of the box barreled action are the Howas. Their Varminter line is capable of shooting .27MOA groups out of the box. As the others said, other good choices are the Savage and Remington police lines. If you have a higher budget, check out the TacOps line of rifles. It's amazing what they're capable of. .110MOA easy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom