Looooooong Form 4 Wait Times

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    I'm a week away from 9 months done in April, so hopefully I am close
    I'm a week away from 9 months done in April, so hopefully I am close
    Are you friggin serious????? We carry around super computers in our pockets, but we can’t get our tax stamp approved in less than a month……. You would think they would try harder to get more people approved so they can get more people to apply for more. I mean if they were pumping them out in 2 months or less I would probably buy more. But after waiting this long I don’t think I’m going to do it again…. Maybe if the time gets faster, but I dunno…. Shall I even attempt to do an SBR while my form 4 is still processing?

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I’ve heard they got overloaded. I did a paper form during Covid that only took 5 months

I would still do the SBR. Those are averaging way better. Might only be a month or so

BDill

What's This For Again
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Destrehan, LA
    SBR Form 1 are being approved from Dec so they are about a month right now. i'm waiting on a eform 4 at 219 today. 265 seams to be the avg at the moment although they seam to being moving through April quicker then March submissions. if your thinking of SBR do it before they rule on the brace then it will likely get flooded again.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    SBR Form 1 are being approved from Dec so they are about a month right now. i'm waiting on a eform 4 at 219 today. 265 seams to be the avg at the moment although they seam to being moving through April quicker then March submissions. if your thinking of SBR do it before they rule on the brace then it will likely get flooded again.

One major factor in ANY AFT approval is whether your FBI check is squeeky clean or not. Zero flags or issues.

Last edited:

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    Bil
    Bill so sbr 1 is only taking about a month and it’s in your hands. I gotta do mine now then.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I’ve heard they got overloaded. I did a paper form during Covid that only took 5 months

I would still do the SBR. Those are averaging way better. Might only be a month or so
    Yup, it seems like a month to a month and a half at longest are Form1 's. I had a customer the other day for a SBR engraving who got his Form1 back in 9 days. I dont understand that.

I would think having a Federal Firearms License and being able to legally buy and sell guns would change my processing time, nope, still at almost 11 months for a can. I'll never understand the timelines.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Yup, it seems like a month to a month and a half at longest are Form1 's. I had a customer the other day for a SBR engraving who got his Form1 back in 9 days. I dont understand that.

I would think having a Federal Firearms License and being able to legally buy and sell guns would change my processing time, nope, still at almost 11 months for a can. I'll never understand the timelines.

I don't understand that part either. What's the difference between getting the can and an SBR.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I don't understand that part either. What's the difference between getting the can and an SBR.

Its the sheer volume of F4 applicants versus F1 applicants (SBR). Probably 5000 F4 applications nationwide for every single F1 applications (make a silencer or SBR). The ATF promised quicker F4 approvals since the re-instatement of E file. But that just hasn't come to be. E-file might save 7 to 14 days in the process flow (no longer mailing of prints or forms) but the real log jam is the monthly volume of F4 applications. And ATF processing time/approvals. Biden's 1.7 billion dollar Omibus bill (now law) approved hiring 87,000 more IRS agents, but not one more ATF agent. If you don't know it already, Biden and the Dems real agenda is to stop lawful citizens ability to purchase silencers and AR-15s, be it rifle or pistol config. There is already a bill to stop the sales of prob 100 centerfire semi auto rifles they deem "dangerous", and hi cap magazines. Instead of holding people (read active shooters and murderers) accountable, Biden logic is to ban the tool.
    Examples:
    Mass shooter at Vegas hotel using multiple bump stocks. Trump pushes to ban bump stocks. Was previously ATF approved. (existing ban just blocked last week)
    All the active shooters using the AR-15 rifle to do their deed. Biden pushes to ban AR-15 sales. And high cap mags. In the works right now, bill submitted to the House.
    An active/mass shooter used a AR-15 pistol braced config weapon to murder. Biden says we have to ban AR-15 pistol braced configs. Too easy to hide under a long coat, and can be shoulder fired. Previously ATF approved a few years ago. Go try to find a new AR-15 braced pistol to purchase right now.
    An active/mass shooter uses a silenced pistol in VA, 2019. Biden applies pressure on the DOJ/ATF to kill legal F1 silencers, and ban their parts sold in the US.
    Biden learns of ghost (no SN) handguns. 80% kits that can be completed in 3 or 4 minutes on the kitchen table, per Joe Biden. The Biden ban is on right now.

I have never had one of my F1 applications take longer than 25 calendar days for approval. Last two in May of 2022. Out of 6 total applications.

Last edited:

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Submitted 04-18-22
    Approved 01-10-23

One week from 9 months so 8.75 months. I was very close like everyone was saying. Also, I bought it in March and did not include the 3 weeks it took for my submission.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Its the sheer volume of F4 applicants versus F1 applicants (SBR). Probably 5000 F4 applications nationwide for every single F1 applications (make a silencer or SBR). The ATF promised quicker F4 approvals since the re-instatement of E file. But that just hasn't come to be. E-file might save 7 to 14 days in the process flow (no longer mailing of prints or forms) but the real log jam is the monthly volume of F4 applications. And ATF processing time/approvals.

I assumed a F1 and F4 have the same or similar checks because the end result is the same, an NFA item being authorized for an end user. If so, why are the forms processed separately?

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I assumed a F1 and F4 have the same or similar checks because the end result is the same, an NFA item being authorized for an end user. If so, why are the forms processed separately?
    That I do not know. What I do know is F1 approvals rarely run more than 30 days, unless you have entered your data incorrectly on the ATF website (e-file), or you fail to mail your fingerprints, or your FBI background check has flags or issues. I'm a member of a long time F1 forum and we have threads tracking approvals for members, so this data is not only my personal F1 e-files. We had some guys have longer approvals last year starting in Feb/March. The ATF re-interpreted their take on some of the NFA regulations and are in the process of making radical changes in the F1 silencer world. Biden pressured the DOJ after a VA active shooter employed a silencer, to stop or slow the F1 silencer makers. Just like the 80% receivers/ghost gun debacle. Biden thinks a guy can build a ghost gun on his kitchen table in a couple minutes, said as much to the news media in the last year. Ditto Biden's take on the F1 silencer. The solvent trap industry in the US has been shutdown cold since March/April of 2022. An example is JK Armament located in Idaho. They CNC machine and sold legal solvent trap kits. Jake is a US military vet. Not any more, JK is now selling F4 silencers and they are now a fed licensed Class 3 manufacturer (FFL - SOT 2 or 3). DOJ motivated the ATF to re-assess or re-interpret NFA regulations as written in the NFA Handbook. It all started with Joe Biden and his admin. Some policies and NFA rules interpretations that were in play for the last few years prior to Feb/March of 2022 DO NOT play any longer to date. Yet the ATF issued NFA Handbook (viewable on line and downloadable) has not changed in content to my knowledge in 5+ years.

If Biden has his way, new AR-15 rifle and pistol sales go away completely for qualified citizens in the US. The bill was submitted in the House last year. Also lists about 40 other semi auto firearms with high cap mags. Pretty much anything with a detachable mag with a cap > 10 rounds. Also in that bill to ban hi cap mags once again. 80% receiver kits (ghost guns) industry pretty vaporized in the last 6 or 8 months. That is banned too in Biden's (Dems) bill. (previously ATF approved too, legal to build your own non serialized pistol, but do not sell it and don't do it as a part time business). They are still legal @ the moment but try to find a new braced AR-15 pistol to purchase on line. That segment has just gone away in anticipation of Biden's bill and ban.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    God help us if Biden or any other democrat prevails in the 2024 POTUS election. It will not be a good day for the 2nd amendment whatsoever, nor for the law abiding US citizens who choose to arm and protect themselves and their families from violent threats.

Last edited:

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    And to make things a little faster, the AFT now allows electronic fingerprints for a form 1.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    And to make things a little faster, the AFT now allows electronic fingerprints for a form 1.
    And you can have your prints taken and converted to the appropriate digital file at many local UPS Stores for a fee.

.EFT is the proper file extension for ATF print submissions.

Musicmasterd12

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Slidell
    My approval journey continues to get WORSE!! I received a disapproval notification in the mail yesterday. I didn’t understand it but after reading over it a few times now I do. They disapproved the request my FFL sent with corrected serial number bc he sent it on the previous .22 can I had approved 3 years ago!!!

Now I have to go back to him and get him to straighten all this **** out. This is absurd! It’s been over a year now. I’m never going to get my obsidian 45 released bc of all his f**kups!!!

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    My approval journey continues to get WORSE!! I received a disapproval notification in the mail yesterday. I didn’t understand it but after reading over it a few times now I do. They disapproved the request my FFL sent with corrected serial number bc he sent it on the previous .22 can I had approved 3 years ago!!!

Now I have to go back to him and get him to straighten all this **** out. This is absurd! It’s been over a year now. I’m never going to get my obsidian 45 released bc of all his f**kups!!!
    Wow that sucks…. That should be an instant fix! Fax the right one over and done… Crazy!!!

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Resubmit and send in the control number of the disapproved form along with a letter explaining the error. I had something similar happen to a buddy and his form got approved right away.

gunnut

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    PA
    I bought a couple of suppressors a few years back, not at the same time, first one took 6 months the second one took 9 months. Seems like things have not changed for the quicker, but remember, we are dealing with a Govt entity.

Top Bottom