Louisiana Department of Wildlife Fisheries Range

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I am thinking about going to this range on saturday, however I cannot seem to get anyone at the phone number. Can anyone give me some information on it?

Hours?

Are suppressors and SBR's allowed?

Anything else I need to know about it.

If for some reason that range is unavailable I was thinking about the MWR recreational shoot range.

Will this be open this saturday? Suppressors and SBR's allowed?

Last question about the two sheriff's ranges... Is Iberia open Saturday? Suppressors and SBR's allowed?

St. Mary's - Whats the deal here?

Thanks for the help.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I appreciate it, however its a little far. All of these places are within 1-1.5 hours of me.

Any info on the original requested places? Thanks

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I've never been to a range that wouldn't let me shoot my SBR and suppressors. Just whip it out, start shooting, don't act like an idiot, and you will be fine.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    You mean Sherburne? Hours are sunup to sundown. SBR and suppressors allowed. Bring your own water, none available. There are a bunch of threads on mostranges already. Try using the search function. You'll be able to find everything you need to know.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I wasnt asking about sherburne initially, but after reading about it, I think that is where I am going to go. I searched around a little more. It looks like I need to pick up a Louisiana Wild Permit to shoot there? Is that correct? Thanks for the help.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I wasnt asking about sherburne initially, but after reading about it, I think that is where I am going to go. I searched around a little more. It looks like I need to pick up a Louisiana Wild Permit to shoot there? Is that correct? Thanks for the help.

or a cane-pole license if you are a LA resident (cheaper).

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I went online to buy one, havent lived here 6 months yet, so I will head down to academy, I will have an out of state friend with me, will he need one as well, or will mine cover him? Thanks for the help.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I went online to buy one, havent lived here 6 months yet, so I will head down to academy, I will have an out of state friend with me, will he need one as well, or will mine cover him? Thanks for the help.

I had a friend from houston go with me to sherburne once, and it was no problem at academy for him to get one. I think it was $2-3 for a weekend stamp. One is needed per person

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I am not saying don't get the right stamp or license I am more curious then anything else. Has anyone ever been asked for thier stamp/license while at the range? I was going to Sherburne for a good year to year and a half before I even knew you needed one. I have a fishing license so now I am covered.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Doug, I have been checked. I always have a fishing license. Once you get to know the guys that work out there they'll come BS with you and ask if everyone is playing nice. Though I have only beem checked once, I wouldn't take the chance.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    Has anyone ever been asked for thier stamp/license while at the range? I was going to Sherburne for a good year to year and a half before I even knew you needed one.

I've been there when the game wardens were checking and issuing citations. Just because YOU have never been checked doesn't mean it won't happen! Oddly they didn't even bother to check me since I knew one of them and I did everything properly.

They were even fussing at people for not filling out the card to sign in and/or failing to place the card on the dashboard.

Jughead

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have been going to Sherburne for years and have never had a permit or license of any type. I sometimes make it a point to chat with people there who run it. I have never ever been asked to show anything. I'm not saying don't get a license/permit, I'm just indicating my experience. What is the penalty if they find you there without a permit? THANKS

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I heard the penalty is $300. I will be happy to spend $5 to support the range, cheaper than most range fees. Also what kind of target setups do they have, anything in particular I should bring?

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I heard the penalty is $300. I will be happy to spend $5 to support the range, cheaper than most range fees. Also what kind of target setups do they have, anything in particular I should bring?

Oh yes...

Like I said I have a fishing license so I don't worry. Now last time the wife went with me and we thought she would be okay under mine. We will have to get her a stamp/license as well.

Bring something to drink. There is nothing out there but a porta potty. They have target stands. Wooden frames that are sized to fit in holes in the ground @ 25, 50 & 100 yards. Sometimes they are not in the best of shape thanks to the jackasses shooting them up.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I am thinking about going to this range on saturday, however I cannot seem to get anyone at the phone number. Can anyone give me some information on it?

Hours?

Are suppressors and SBR's allowed?

Anything else I need to know about it.

If for some reason that range is unavailable I was thinking about the MWR recreational shoot range.

Will this be open this saturday? Suppressors and SBR's allowed?

Last question about the two sheriff's ranges... Is Iberia open Saturday? Suppressors and SBR's allowed?

St. Mary's - Whats the deal here?

Thanks for the help.

Goteron, being you live in Maurice, you can use the Lafayette Parish Sheriff's Shooting range. Here is the website:

http://www.lafayettesheriff.com/site108.php

Enjoy and be safe!

Dave

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    As far as target stands go, build your own if you can. Last time I was out there I asked the guy working why the pistol range only had three target stands. He said that the state had cut his budget to zero and all his target stands were getting shot up. He said the state would not be reconsidering their budget until the end of August. So if you have your own, bring 'em. Even better, if you have some scrap wood lying around, donate it to be used to make new target stands.

Top Bottom