Louisiana Red Flag Laws

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    I have a Family member who we recently had picked up for an involuntary mental evaluation. During that time his soon to be ex wife let us in their house so we could take all the guns. He has been hallucinating, not sleeping for days on end, and more. They found LSD in his system and we are pretty sure he has been smoking synthetic weed. He was released yesterday and is already back to his old ways.

Now he is demanding that his guns be returned. Does Louisiana have laws that can legally prevent him from having guns? Family members are afraid he will do something if they are returned. I do not think a person that is hallucinating on a daily basis and on drugs should be allowed to have firearms. I am as pro 2nd amendment as can be but this is a disaster waiting to happen.

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA

I'm pretty sure that you cannot be in possession of a firearm while controlled dangerous substances are present. So, if a person is using drugs, he/she cannot be in possession of firearms.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA

I'm pretty sure that you cannot be in possession of a firearm while controlled dangerous substances are present. So, if a person is using drugs, he/she cannot be in possession of firearms.
    I was thinking the same thing. But if he gets caught it will be prison. Not the mental help he needs.

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    I was thinking the same thing. But if he gets caught it will be prison. Not the mental help he needs.
    If I have a family member that is abusing drugs and he/she has firearms at his house, I'd definitely take them away from him/her so that he/she does not get in more trouble or do harm to himself/herself or others. If he/she has been put into a mental institution or evaluated for mental issues, I think there's a law that won't allow him to legally own anymore firearms as well. Maybe some lawyers in here can clarify that issue.

CRichard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2021
    Lafayette
    Im not an attorney.. But my two cents for what it's worth... If he's medicaly mentaly ill or altered from illegal substances... Keep his firearms until hes trustworthy... Whats he gunna do?? Call the police?? Take you to court?? Hes on the lamb , I doubt he would. Gods Blessings and peace to you and your family member.

foz1359

Time Traveler
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Jefferson Parish
    Good deed done there and don't be swayed by his (or her) threats. Addicts and alcoholics are experts at diverting the attention from themselves and onto others (especially the folks that still care about them) so they can keep doing what they're doing. They love to get high, force others make grown up decisions for them, play the victim role and then raise hell. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Hang in there.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    If I have a family member that is abusing drugs and he/she has firearms at his house, I'd definitely take them away from him/her so that he/she does not get in more trouble or do harm to himself/herself or others. If he/she has been put into a mental institution or evaluated for mental issues, I think there's a law that won't allow him to legally own anymore firearms as well. Maybe some lawyers in here can clarify that issue.
    " Evaluated " is not the same as " adjudicated " .

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Best bet is to call a law firm and explain the situation to so they can connect you to an attorney who handles that sort of thing. You want to be on the correct side of the situation as a responsible 2A member.

rdass623

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    new orleans
    probably a lawsuit in civil court would be the best method of getting him properly evaluated and / or adjudicated as mentally unfit. good luck and i hope no one is harmed.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    A couple of things and question. Original question mentions soon to be ex wife, and apparently in the same house, so does she not have some rights. Is La. a community property state, it has been a long, long time since I lived there? If so can she take them and place where she likes or could it be viewed that they are half hers? Personally if I were her, I would not only have the firearms removed, but try to have him removed from house, change locks, or get the hell out myself. No use trying to stay if she were to be in danger of bodily harm or death.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    A couple of things and question. Original question mentions soon to be ex wife, and apparently in the same house, so does she not have some rights. Is La. a community property state, it has been a long, long time since I lived there? If so can she take them and place where she likes or could it be viewed that they are half hers? Personally if I were her, I would not only have the firearms removed, but try to have him removed from house, change locks, or get the hell out myself. No use trying to stay if she were to be in danger of bodily harm or death.
    She is not there anymore and she did take the guns since they are her property as much as his. But in this state she is about the only one who can get him committed until they are officially divorced.

Old School

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    DTR
    She is not there anymore and she did take the guns since they are her property as much as his. But in this state she is about the only one who can get him committed until they are officially divorced.
    So what you just said is that anybody's wife can take one of our guns and claim its hers?

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    firearms acquired during the marriage would be considered community property, but those acquired before would be the purchaser's property.
    Yep. I talked to a lawyer. Also anyone can get someone committed. You have to go to the Coroner and have him/her sign off on it.

Top Bottom