Louisiana Senate Wants to Arm Teachers.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    All the training in the world don't mean **** if you ain't got a "hard heart" to pull the trigger. How many teachers you think could do that.

There were 4 swat teams on site at Uvalde with months, if not years of specialized training, and not one had the guts to enter.
    If the Border Patrol team hadn't stepped up they'd still be standing around today

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    All the training in the world don't mean **** if you ain't got a "hard heart" to pull the trigger. How many teachers you think could do that.

There were 4 swat teams on site at Uvalde with months, if not years of specialized training, and not one had the guts to enter.
    If the Border Patrol team hadn't stepped up they'd still be standing around today
    No danger of getting shot outside, I'm sure they would be motivated if they were in the same room as the shooter

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    Being married to a retired teacher of 45 years and the father-in-law of another, I know that teachers get publicity similar to the police. The flakes and bad apples make the news, but you never hear about the ones who go quietly about their jobs and try to do the right thing. This subject is close to home for me.

I know my wife was well loved by her students as many times they would come up to us while we were in some store. However, she was very security conscious, kept a tactical pen in her hair, and was not afraid to face down trouble. Fortunately she never had to deal with a shooter. The worst was a kid trying to stab the principle with scissors.

I have not heard of a teacher involved with an active shooter who did not act heroically and do everything to save the students, including sacrificing their own lives. We have discussed arming teachers and she thinks it is reasonable on a voluntary basis with good thorough training. The shooter is the problem, not the tool in their hands -- as it could be a pair of scissors (do we take those away from students too?)

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    Hind site is 20/20 but did anyone see this

Today the news interviewed one of the kids in the classroom. She stated when the teacher heard the shooting , she had to get a key from her desk, open the door , and lock it from the outside. WTF..
    While closing the locked door , the shooter pushed his way in

What's wrong with this picture

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Hind site is 20/20 but did anyone see this

Today the news interviewed one of the kids in the classroom. She stated when the teacher heard the shooting , she had to get a key from her desk, open the door , and lock it from the outside. WTF..
    While closing the locked door , the shooter pushed his way in

What's wrong with this picture
    Sounds like a liability issue with the school/school board.

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    Sounds like every door should have auto lock on closing and at the very least a deadbolt.

In this case, lives would have been saved
    Good idea. My wife always carried her classroom key on her person while in the classroom. The doors in her school could be locked from the inside.

Amazing and sad that the TX school doors had the be locked from the outside. If I understand that correctly, the teacher is then outside exposed to the shooter.

Someone has not thought this through. I feel so sorry for the families of these children, too many f**kups happened.

pptpe45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    my daughter is a teacher. She raised many legitimate concerns about arming teachers. There are a lot of questions about the teachers role (i.e. if a shooting starts in another classroom, would the teacher leave their students to respond?) during a shooting. And P.O.S.T training for firearms certification is, IMHO, not enough. Considering the situation they are likely to find themselves in, Air Marshal weapons training is more appropriate. And my daughter said she will retire if teachers are armed.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    The law in Louisiana requires all classroom doors equipped with a lock to be locked during instructional time.
    Part of the problem is that all classroom doors are not equipped with locks. My daughter is a teacher in a BR area public high school and her door does not have a lock, and it's a building built in the last 10 years. That's ridiculous.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

It’s a little different when you’re already in the thick of it and there’s someone actively shooting everyone in the room. It’s not about having the guts at that point, it’s about living or dying. I’m thinking most teachers would at least like the option but who am I to say some won’t choose the invisibility cloak…

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Something my daughter, who is a teacher brought up. Will the teachers keep them in a lock box or on their person? I don’t think most teachers will want to wear them around all day interacting with kids. What about high school teachers who have to break up fights, now you are introducing a firearm into the situation. I think the smarter thing is to harden schools and require 1 officer per 100 students.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    harden schools and require 1 officer per 100 students.
    agreed!!! beefed up locks, gates, cameras, more officers..... I am back and forth on teachers being armed... Bullets start flying and responding officers or other teachers could be mistaken as shooters ect. It should almost be like the purge... each class should be set up like a panic room, beef up exterior and at last resort either officer in control room watching camera or any teacher can activate the panic room alarm and lock down there class.... There is no perfect solution

Top Bottom