Louisiana Senate Wants to Arm Teachers.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Something my daughter, who is a teacher brought up. Will the teachers keep them in a lock box or on their person? I don’t think most teachers will want to wear them around all day interacting with kids. What about high school teachers who have to break up fights, now you are introducing a firearm into the situation. I think the smarter thing is to harden schools and require 1 officer per 100 students.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Agreed. I keep hearing the arguments about how we protect everything under the sun with guns or men with guns. Banks, celebrities, politicians, etc, but our most precious resource we leave wide open and defenseless.
    Gun free zones are the most naive and stupid decision I can think of. Gutting a constitutional carry bill to try and arm teachers ranks right up there.

Last edited:

folivier

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    So will the armed teachers protect the kids against an aggressor? Or to protect themselves against an aggressive student?

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Why Can't schools just have full time armed security gaurds who patrol the school checking doors, checking camera, and looking for anything odd.
    It is a good idea but would be hard to staff. Many schools do not even fill positions with all certified teachers. This is probably the best most pragmatic solution though

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Something my daughter, who is a teacher brought up. Will the teachers keep them in a lock box or on their person? I don’t think most teachers will want to wear them around all day interacting with kids. What about high school teachers who have to break up fights, now you are introducing a firearm into the situation. I think the smarter thing is to harden schools and require 1 officer per 100 students.

In education as well, and I agree with her for the same reasons. I have had the same thoughts.

The officer could work with even a 300-500 students per officer, but the staffing is the problem. There are not enough officers that are certified/want to be certified as SROs (School Resource Officer), and some places even if enough were certified, there are not enough officers to cover it and the road shift.

The previous Terrebonne Sheriff proposed a tax millage increase with some controversy years ago to put an SRO in every school-including elementary and private schools-it did not come close to passing. Most places only have 1 for each Jr. High/Middle and High school

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    This will be one cop who does not get the third degree. This needs to happen more. Mess with Schools and our kids, DIE!

correct!!! needs to be like that public broadcasting station that interrupts all tv and radio....

"Urgent news, dummy with a gun went to a elementary school, he has been killed dead, dead, dead... No further updates now return to your local broadcast..."

start putting that out there and see how many copy cats we get

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Keep in mind, we are not suggesting forcing all teachers to be armed. Only properly motivated teachers would be given the opportunity to attend advanced training to qualify to do so. Seems to work out in Israel.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I can tell you for a fact , there will be parent's that will demand to know which teachers are armed . And there will be parent's that absolutely refuse to have their child in a classroom where a firearm is present . And before anybody says it , telling them to send their kid to a different school if they don't like it will NOT be a valid answer to their objections .
    Will these teachers be fully covered by millions of dollars of liability insurance ? Can the school systems afford to pay for this because the teachers damn sure can't . Like I said earlier , too many things can go wrong with this scenario , and it will only take one incident to get it all shut down anyway .
    Schools are still soft targets . The school in Texas had an unsecured door in spite of the rules . I went to pick up my granddaughter from school one day . You are supposed to be buzzed in by the front desk . When I got there the doors were blocked open for a delivery and nobody was watching them . A dear friend of mine is a schoolteacher . She admitted to me that she doesn't lock her classroom .
    All of these things are easy fixes and cost nothing .

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The School Board in each Parish should pay for School Resource Officers who are LEO at the rate of 1 SRO per 100 students and require each SRO to quality on the La. P O S T Firearms and Defensive Tactics Course every 6 months as minimum training.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    My wife is a retired teacher. I've a bit of insight.

First of all, . . . , some teachers and administrators have been carrying a firearm to school for decades, and nobody knows.

You'd rather get between a lioness and her cubs than mess with some teacher's students. Motivation isn't an issue with a majority of teachers.

Nobody is forcing teachers to carry.

Nobody should know which teachers are carrying, except the administration.

Some campus' are huge. It might take a SRO fifteen minutes to waddle to the back of campus from the teacher's lounge, and he'll be out of breath when he gets there.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    The School Board in each Parish should pay for School Resource Officers who are LEO at the rate of 1 SRO per 100 students and require each SRO to quality on the La. P O S T Firearms and Defensive Tactics Course every 6 months as minimum training.

I agree. I will add that there are only a few teachers that I know who I would feel comfortable carrying around my family. One of them is on this site and makes dang good holsters

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I agree. I will add that there are only a few teachers that I know who I would feel comfortable carrying around my family. One of them is on this site and makes dang good holsters

I agree.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I still think it's cheaper and better to add SRO's/security than arming teachers. The liability insurance would be crazy expensive or only cover a fraction of coverage you would need or possibly both.

Local schools boards could find the money to pay for them, but I still don't think there would be enough people to staff it. Local chiefs and sheriffs would not be able to cover shifts.

NOPD can't cover the road and respond to calls as it is.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    How did the perp miss the name of the town this school is in? Gadsden! He learned the hard way, Don’t Tread On Me.
    96B219F6-74D1-46E5-8A91-F736962A62B9.png

Top Bottom