M&P Shield Back to Life

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    So a friend of mine was cleaning out his boat and stumbled across his “boat gun”. He was about to toss it when I said no way. Let me take it with me and clean it up for you when I can.

It’s been a few months but I finally got around to it.

When I took this home it was locked up, slide closed and 100% inoperable. It’s not pretty by any means but it’s come a long way and is 100% a functioning pistol again. I put about 120 rounds through it since I completed and no malfunctions.

Full strip down of internals and the external parts to get this all cleaned up.

Before and After

8D7D6ED3-44E2-419A-A736-E701FF700B04.jpeg3D940BA4-A843-4D92-89D3-A19034AE4881.jpeg
    41EE43CB-5156-4E38-B1CA-DAD613C7D46F.jpegBF8DBEA0-A2FF-4CFB-8B20-365284E93E1D.jpeg

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I wonder how coating it with some good gun oil
    Could have possibly helped it. I had a 28” maverick 88 barrel cut down to 20” at Gretna Gun a couple years ago. With the remaining 8” of barrel I cut it up into 4 pieces. I coated a couple of pieces with some gun oils I use, mainly ballistol and m pro 7 lpx. I removed the bluing in a couple of spots and grind it down to bare metal. I then put it laying in my backyard exposed to the elements. It took a good 6 months before any surface rust became visible.

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Did you have to change out any of the internals or is that all original parts?
    All original as of now. I thought I was going to have to change out the slide stop part. The rust that had built up on the backside and causing pitting was preventing a consistent last round hold open (mag spring wasn’t strong enough to push it up, even a new one). So I took it off again and polished it instead of just cleaning. It’s been good ever since.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    All original as of now. I thought I was going to have to change out the slide stop part. The rust that had built up on the backside and causing pitting was preventing a consistent last round hold open (mag spring wasn’t strong enough to push it up, even a new one). So I took it off again and polished it instead of just cleaning. It’s been good ever since.
    What'd you use to get the rust off?

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    What'd you use to get the rust off?

Most steel parts went into the ultrasonic cleaner I have. After that I used a non-toxic solvent and a nylon brush to coat the parts. After letting that sit overnight I scrubbed them with a brass brush or what parts it could be used on. Then I rinsed every part off with dawn soap and water. Afterwards I let it all dry and used compressed denatured alcohol. At this point I have several brass tools that I use in a stylo dremel. Each part was cleaned with one of these tools, getting in all the smaller crevices a brush can’t get to. Finally the parts were touched up a bit using dremel brand polishing compound and various polishing bits. Finally I sprayed them with more denatured alcohol and applied a thin film of oil to everything before reassembly.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom