M1 Garand made in 1944 C&R? ? ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I am looking at getting a Garand from a guy and it has a serial number of 2586191 which makes it made in 1944. Im trying to find out if this rifle is able to be shipped to my C&R.

ATF website says;

Springfield Armory, Inc., Korean War Commemorative .30 cal., MI Garand Rifle S/Ns from
    KW0001 to KW1000.

Edit: I found this while searching further.

U.S., Rifle, cal. .30 M1, original military issue only, produced prior to 1956.
    U.S. Rifle, caliber .30, M1, original issue only, produced prior to 1958.

I am pretty sure this means the one im trying to get is okay.

Last edited:

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/index.htm
    Firearms automatically attain curio or relic (C&R) status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF’s C&R list. However, if your C&R item is regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA) and you desire removal from the provisions of the NFA, you must submit the firearm to the Firearms Technology Branch for evaluation and a formal classification.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I think you'd be ok. Penzon who you talk to. Being it is a commemorative issue it should be covered as a curio and relic regardless of manufacture but it would have to be listed as such on the c and r list. Some folks will ship receivers over 100 years old on rifles rebuilt in the 1900's to anyone some folks will only ship to ffl 01-03's. I don't have my list with me so I can't say for sure. I get my m-1s through the CMP and don't need a c n r for those to get shipped.

Top Bottom