Magdump, you would like this a lot.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I’m curious what the total cost of a decent F1 can would be. There have been some really good deals on quality F4 suppressors lately. I can see the allure to building one yourself for the enjoyment of doing so, but I’m curious if it’s actually cheaper when you factor everything into it.

According to nfatracker, the wait for an e-file form 1 for a trust is about 31 days. That may play a factor for some people.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Maybe so. Those trackers are unreliable though. Showed like 3 months when mine took over a year.

This was recently posted in the wait times thread. I guess the wait times are all over the board.

Form 1 eFile
    Submitted online: 10/10
    Fingerprints Sent: 10/18
    Approved: 10/28

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I might have to look into that route. It seems like a (slightly) less expensive route. I’ve got all the basics covered so I think I would be looking toward specialty cans now, like 5.56 or permanently attached to make rifle length. I’d say I’d head over there and look around but it seems I won’t be. I’ll likely read up a bit on form 1 cans and look at the forum if I want to go further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Price wise its about the same, it just depends on what your objectives are going in. The main draw is much shorter approval time from the ATF for form 1 efile. There are complete kits sold too by vendors, or you can order piece by piece from here and there. Even the kits offered are way better than the stuff on wish or alibaba. A lot of that is manufactured in China, some even sold from China. The ATF is currently cracking down on that, solvent trap kits sold as "fuel filter" shipping from China. Not to say some of those China kits do not offer value for say a 22 LR suppressor. All of the China kits I have seen/viewed are all aluminum, and that material is only suitable for 22 LR or subsonic pistol rounds only. You put an all AL kit on a SBR 556 rifle or pistol and you can destroy it in a couple hundred rounds fired FA or semi in quick cadence. There is a newer video on the F1 forum of exactly that. The AL tube actually blew out about an inch from the muzzle.

Just join the F1 forum, it doesn't cost you a thing except your time. Just wait for approval to view, which will typically happens in < 24 hours. I bet there are a couple guys here who are members of the F1 forum too, has to be. There are no drawbacks to joining unless assembling your own (and a much quicker ATF approval) doesn't appeal to you.

Part of it is a guy thing, working with your hands, building your own. Like wood working or assembling an AR15. I would venture to say there are zero female members on F1. At least none that I have ever seen posting there. In the last 6 or 8 months, a flood of younger guys joining, building their own cans. Many of these guys seem to have deep pockets as they build several cans or don't bat an eye to spend $750 for a Quell Tech special run all Ti complete kit. Quell even has different evolutions of the kits, Flow 1.0 and 2.0. Also have at least two members who do independent testing of suppressor builds or commercial cans, and post video and test data. Accurate sound pressure measurement requires a min of a $5000 SP meter, some (mil spec) sell for upwards of $15,000 new. Bruel & Kjaer precision sound pressure test meters, made in Copenhagen. Their model 2209 is a good example.

The only drawback to F1 and building ur own there is no current access to Inconel or Stellite cones/materials for individuals. And if you want a suppressor for a FA short barrel 556 (say like a 7 or 10.5" barrel) then a commercial can is the way to go. Yes we have new members who join and want to build a suppressor for their 7 inch barrel 556 AR15 semi, like the worst possible host in existence, and rather foolish if you ask me. Or even a FA 10.5" barrel weapon. Then in those cases you should seek out a commercial suppressor from YHM, Surefire, Griffin, or AAC to name a few.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    This was recently posted in the wait times thread. I guess the wait times are all over the board.

Form 1 eFile
    Submitted online: 10/10
    Fingerprints Sent: 10/18
    Approved: 10/28

If you file a form 1 efile and make a simple mistake or improper selection, your submission goes into "pending research" with the ATF/FBI and it could be delayed for months. There are step by step tutorials to avoid these pitfalls. But some are slow learners. Or if your background research has some interesting details for a first time filer. You pay the $200 NFA tax up front @ time of submission. Been $200 since 1934 btw.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Oh yeah man,Never went the Form 1 Route,Always 4 for me,Keep us updated then on the progress.....In the mean time

I'll watch Magdump be harassed from afar
    I’ve talked to a few guys who have gone form 1 and all were good to go in short order. A physician I work with said he got help from a pro ahead of time and had him play coach throughout the online process.

And I’ve no doubt there will be plenty to watch Gator, but I’m afraid it’ll be one sided. As far as I know, posting in threads ain’t against the rules, even for me.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I’ve talked to a few guys who have gone form 1 and all were good to go in short order. A physician I work with said he got help from a pro ahead of time and had him play coach throughout the online process.

And I’ve no doubt there will be plenty to watch Gator, but I’m afraid it’ll be one sided. As far as I know, posting in threads ain’t against the rules, even for me.

Yeah man, Never heard of such a short turn-a-round for a can,Even a homemade one.

It's almost as if a vacuum is on you're ass....Pretty much like right when a projectile passes thru the air and air is right behind it to fill the void...

Hey John,Take a few pictures and post up,Looks like a nice project !

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Yeah man, Never heard of such a short turn-a-round for a can,Even a homemade one.

It's almost as if a vacuum is on you're ass....Pretty much like right when a projectile passes thru the air and air is right behind it to fill the void...

Will do Gator, thx.

I'm playing the Form 4 game too, I ordered a YHM Turbo 2 a few days ago. Tubeless and made with an Inconel blast baffle and heat treated SS after that. FA rated and 10.5" barrel min, in 556. Found a just cannot resist price in TX next door. Capitol Armory. Just will have to be patient for 5 to 10 months.

If you want the most durable can possible for the absolute worst hosts, you go commercial and form 4. Inconel or Stellite blast chamber/first couple baffles material.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA

My first Form 1 suppressor (.30 cal) was ATF approved in 23 days. Can has been finished for a couple months now and took it to the range and employed it on my 300 BO pistol (the one in the pics below) and my 556 11.5" Super Duty. It works very effectively. On the 300BO I installed an SA adjustable gas block (to tune recoil impulse) and a JP silent captured recoil assembly (quiet the "twang") before the first trip with the can. The Super Duty is still as shipped from the factory (no mods other than replacing muzzle device to a GA) and runs perfect. A bit over gassed with the can on, but it functions fine.

My .30 cal can is 1.75" OD all titanium tube, cap, and GA taper adapter. Tube is 6.5" long and filled with 7 heat treated SS 50 degree baffles (progressive spacing, single clipped), and a 2.20" blast chamber. Bored to .376" ID.

Gator, pics below. I have since done a Form 1 .22 can, which is super quiet (really large all aluminum can for .22LR). Especially on my single shot crack barrel Chiappa survival rifle (closed breach, no semi action).

DSC-0017.jpg

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Very nice John! What finish did you go with? Apologies if you already said, I didn’t see it.

Thx Mag. Simple flat black 1200 degree aerosol can paint. I also engraved it myself. I really hated to put that flat black on that pretty Ti tube but shiny silver finishes and tactical situations don't really mix well.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Thx Mag. Simple flat black 1200 degree aerosol can paint. I also engraved it myself. I really hated to put that flat black on that pretty Ti tube but shiny silver finishes and tactical situations don't really mix well.
    Next time I’m spraying some Durakote in the right color I’ll try to give you a shout if you wanna get it done.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    My first Form 1 suppressor (.30 cal) was ATF approved in 23 days. Can has been finished for a couple months now and took it to the range and employed it on my 300 BO pistol (the one in the pics below) and my 556 11.5" Super Duty. It works very effectively. On the 300BO I installed an SA adjustable gas block (to tune recoil impulse) and a JP silent captured recoil assembly (quiet the "twang") before the first trip with the can. The Super Duty is still as shipped from the factory (no mods other than replacing muzzle device to a GA) and runs perfect. A bit over gassed with the can on, but it functions fine.

My .30 cal can is 1.75" OD all titanium tube, cap, and GA taper adapter. Tube is 6.5" long and filled with 7 heat treated SS 50 degree baffles (progressive spacing, single clipped), and a 2.20" blast chamber. Bored to .376" ID.

Gator, pics below. I have since done a Form 1 .22 can, which is super quiet (really large all aluminum can for .22LR). Especially on my single shot crack barrel Chiappa survival rifle (closed breach, no semi action).

DSC-0016.jpg

DSC-0017.jpg

Man I am indeed loving those cans !

Good deal !

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Most guys on the form 1 forum end up building 5 to 10 suppressors. Some just go crazy, new designs and dedicated one can per firearm. Not a one can for all my weapons mentality.

I kid you not there are a few peeps on the form 1 forum with 10 + cans. Not the norm but some go hog wild, and seem to have very deep pockets. One guy who has a lathe and other associated equipment built a 50 BMG suppressor, and his video is quite impressive. It is 3" OD and about 16" long. SS tubing. Flat amazing what he accomplished on SS 50 BMG. He also machines cone drill jigs and sell them to forum members. Lot of good guys there.

Quite few commercial manufacturers are members too, and offer comments, input, and ideas. SOT 2 and 3 license holders.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Most guys on the form 1 forum end up building 5 to 10 suppressors. Some just go crazy, new designs and dedicated one can per firearm. Not a one can for all my weapons mentality.

I kid you not there are a few peeps on the form 1 forum with 10 + cans. Not the norm but some go hog wild, and seem to have very deep pockets. One guy who has a lathe and other associated equipment built a 50 BMG suppressor, and his video is quite impressive. It is 2" OD and about 15" long. SS HT'd tubing. Flat amazing what he accomplished on SS 50 BMG. He also machines cone drill jigs and sell them to forum members. Lot of good guys there.

Quite few commercial manufacturers are members too, and offer comments, input, and ideas. SOT 2 and 3 license holders.

I tell you what, I could use a connection on lets say building a pistol can since I don't know diddley squat where to start.
    I do prefer a can while shooting and anymore if a person is not shooting with a can then I've taken the European stance of....

You heathens can get a muffler on that boomer perhaps?

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I tell you what, I could use a connection on lets say building a pistol can since I don't know diddley squat where to start.
    I do prefer a can while shooting and anymore if a person is not shooting with a can then I've taken the European stance of....

You heathens can get a muffler on that boomer perhaps?

Here is a link to the form 1 forum. You will have to sign up and join to view or read anything, there is no "guest" viewing. Joining is painless, load of builds and info to read. Everything you ever wanted to know about handgun or rifle suppressors is there. Vendor/supply classifieds section too. Most all centerfire semi auto pistols with a can will require a booster, a Neilsen device. We have suppliers of those too. Join and read, and use the forum search function to locate pistol suppressor info and builds.

https://form1suppressor.boards.net/

Top Bottom