Meanwhile at the Legislature

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    If you read the bill it states other ways of identification besides a copy of a DD214.
    I’ll have to read it again but when I originally read it I only saw they said you have to show proof and not how. As a veteran with an honerable discharge I’m not sure how else you would prove that without a DD214.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Did I say every vet? No, I said I believe that there are veterans out there. You sir are obviously not one.
    I was in weapons department while in the navy. We shot the m9, m16, .50 cal, and M240 very often. The training I received and continued to receive in the military for small arms was a joke. We were taught to shoot handguns with a revolver style grip. I learned more about how to properly shoot and handle handguns taking civilian classes while in the navy than I ever did from the navy. When I would attempt to properly grip my m9 while shooting I was told to grip it how the navy taught me. None of that training taught me anything about how to properly carry a handgun or even shoot one for that matter.

My younger brother just recently finished his contract in the Marines as a grunt. His training was very similar to mine with small arms.

Sapperboomboom

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 28, 2017
    Slidell
    I’ll have to read it again but when I originally read it I only saw they said you have to show proof and not how. As a veteran with an honerable discharge I’m not sure how else you would prove that without a DD214.
    They state veteran identification on a state issued id card.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    You should have VETERAN below your picture on your Louisiana DL.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    I had my license renewed in Jan, and it doesn't have any where on it a reference to being a veteran. This was a new ,in the person DL with new pic ,not an online renewal

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I had my license renewed in Jan, and it doesn't have any where on it a reference to being a veteran. This was a new ,in the person DL with new pic ,not an online renewal
    You need to bring your dd214 to the dmv. I did it awhile back when I found out it could be done. I was in and out of abc title in about 15 minutes. At the bottom of your picture it will say veteran

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    You should have VETERAN below your picture on your Louisiana DL.
    I understand and have that. The thing is though I also know a guy I grew up with who was discharged from the army with an other than honerable discharge. He only served about 5 months boot camp and some schooling. He also has his veteran status on his ID and license plate.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I understand and have that. The thing is though I also know a guy I grew up with who was discharged from the army with an other than honerable discharge. He only served about 5 months boot camp and some schooling. He also has his veteran status on his ID and license plate

You need to bring your dd214 to the dmv. I did it awhile back when I found out it could be done. I was in and out of abc title in about 15 minutes. At the bottom of your picture it will say veteran
    DD214 or proof that you served in a war zone in the Merchant Marine which gives you Veteran Status.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I understand and have that. The thing is though I also know a guy I grew up with who was discharged from the army with an other than honerable discharge. He only served about 5 months boot camp and some schooling. He also has his veteran status on his ID and license plate.
    To be a "veteran" you must have served at least 180 days active duty outside of training, so either the DMV screwed up by giving him the designation or perhaps you are incorrect about his status.

As for the other than honorable discharge, did you see it on his dd214? There are several types of discharges, not all of which would take away veteran benefits.

I'm not sure if your discharge type takes away actual veteran status, but it can take away your benefits.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    To be a "veteran" you must have served at least 180 days active duty outside of training, so either the DMV screwed up by giving him the designation or perhaps you are incorrect about his status.

As for the other than honorable discharge, did you see it on his dd214? There are several types of discharges, not all of which would take away veteran benefits.

I'm not sure if your discharge type takes away actual veteran status, but it can take away your benefits.
    He very well may have served 180 days after boot camp, I could be mistaken about the time frame. I did see the other then honerable dd214. I used to live near him and grew up with him when I was younger. He went awal and was discharged for failure to adapt with an other than honerable discharge. Last I heard he did not have full benefits but was fighting to get them restored.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    He very well may have served 180 days after boot camp, I could be mistaken about the time frame. I did see the other then honerable dd214. I used to live near him and grew up with him when I was younger. He went awal and was discharged for failure to adapt with an other than honerable discharge. Last I heard he did not have full benefits but was fighting to get them restored.
    From www.military.com
    The law that governs veterans benefits specifically says anyone with an other-than-honorable discharge or worse is not legally considered a veteran by the federal government. Since they aren't considered veterans, they aren't eligible for any veterans benefits. This applies to all federal and many state benefits.

So, assuming this is true, he would not be considered a veteran to the govt, so he shouldn't be considered a veteran to anyone else. I suspect the DMV made a mistake.

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    I'm tending not to agree with your assessment on the 14:95(M)

I read it does not include all Louisiana residents, but only carves out for a select few, which it should not.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    From www.military.com
    The law that governs veterans benefits specifically says anyone with an other-than-honorable discharge or worse is not legally considered a veteran by the federal government. Since they aren't considered veterans, they aren't eligible for any veterans benefits. This applies to all federal and many state benefits.

So, assuming this is true, he would not be considered a veteran to the govt, so he shouldn't be considered a veteran to anyone else. I suspect the DMV made a mistake.
    Yes after looking into it you’re absolutely correct. Seems like he got lucky and abc title screwed up

dragginass

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Surprise , Surprise , Surprise.... ...not..

JBE just came out and said he doesn't support and won't sign . That's a another veto right there

To differ, I read that as a good sign. What he doesn't sign becomes law by default. It's possible that's his way of showing his displeasure without actually using veto. If he had threatened veto again explicitly I'd be pessimistic.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom