Meanwhile at the Legislature

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    Huh? State law applies to all that are in the state regardless of residency unless specifically called out by law. For example, One can carry a firearm without a permit in MS (they have Constitutional carry) even if a LA resident w/o a LA carry permit.

When in MS, MS laws apply. When in LA, LA laws apply.
    You're wrong...

The bill clearly states, "Louisiana Resident".

The reason many will want the CWP is to be able to conceal carry while out of state.

I wish it was legal in all 50 states where a permit isn't necessary but that's wishful thinking.

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    You're wrong...

The bill clearly states, "Louisiana Resident".

The reason many will want the CWP is to be able to conceal carry while out of state.

I wish it was legal in all 50 states where a permit isn't necessary but that's wishful thinking.

No. You stated that “most” state legislation only applies to residents. I don’t believe that to be correct as almost all legislation that I am aware of applies equally to residents and non-residents (speed limits, murder, theft, etc).

Morris’ permitless carry bill (Senate version) has this requirement but the McCormack’ (House) version doesn’t have the residency requirement. I assume that you were referring to SB143 (Senate version of permitless carry), correct?

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    So if this goes all the way, what’s the time frame of being active law?
    I believe August 1, 2022. It passed the house and senate and now needs the governors signature to become law.

It did get a little attention when it was brought up but mostly quiet right now. Although I'm sure it will start getting some attention going forward but I haven't heard anything from the governor and I'm sure someone will correct me quickly if he has sounded off on it.

I think the political climate has changed just a little and this bill will become law.

Last edited:

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    I believe August 1, 2022. It passed the house and senate and now needs the governors signature to become law.

It did get a little attention when it was brought up but mostly quiet right now. Although I'm sure it will start getting some attention going forward but I haven't heard anything from the governor and I'm sure someone will correct me quickly if he has sounded off on it.

I think the political climate has changed just a little and this bill will become law.
    Senate and House passed two different bills. They will have to have Conference committee to iron out differences. Then that bill will have to pass both House and Senate.

Then it goes to Edwards desk. Session ends June 6th so they will have to get a bill on his desk prior to that sans a special session.

Once on Edwards’ desk he has 20? Days to sign or veto? Very likely that if it makes it to his desk prior to the end of the session, he will wait to the bitter end, when the congressional session has ended to veto. This will force an override session in the summer. This is exactly what happened last year. Then two RINOs changed their votes and blew up the override

Last edited:

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    Anyone know if there has been any movement in this? House and Senate have each passed a version of this but doesn’t seem like there is any momentum here. Only three weeks remaining in the legislative session.

Top Bottom