Metal detector advice please

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    My 11yo wants a metal detector. I see academy carries two kinds of the same company. One is analog and one is digital. Other then that I don't know much about them and thought I'd ask here on what to look for. Doesn't need to be high end. I just want to make sure I get something that works as it should.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Find an Internet forum devoted to metal detecting . There's probably a bunch . You can spend a little or spend a lot .

I honestly don't want to spend too much of my time researching all the ins and outs. I'll end up making it more complicated then it needs to be as I do with our other hobbies. Was just hoping for a few recommendations and what too look for.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have a White's MXT (made in the USA) that I was getting ready to list on eBay. I bought it new and have used it very little. Do you own research ... but if that's something that might interest you and your son, let me know.

Mike

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I grew up in the Feliciana’s and have done extensive metal hunting over the years, primarily civil war relics. I started with an old mustang about 1980 and finally graduated to a White’s 6000/Di pro.... nearly 30 years ago. It cost me $500 and change at Rich’s coin and gun in BR. It’s paid for itself many times over and is still performs like new. I just took it out Saturday.
    That being said, for someone just getting started, I’d go digital and cheaper. White’s doesn’t make anything low priced that I’m aware of. Garrett has some decent offerings that won’t break the bank but for the money I’d look into the Bounty Hunter detectors. My old backup/loaner detector is a Bounty Hunter and still gets the job done.

This is a good one less than $150.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bounty-Hunte...y+hunter+metal+detector&qid=1620772606&sr=8-5

Attachments

• 6618355E-86D4-4D5A-AC4C-25A92C616D0E.jpg
      6618355E-86D4-4D5A-AC4C-25A92C616D0E.jpg
      229.7 KB · Views: 151
    • 33E99DF0-5992-404C-A9D4-1D68609F622D.jpg
      33E99DF0-5992-404C-A9D4-1D68609F622D.jpg
      245.8 KB · Views: 138
    Last edited:

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    I grew up in the Feliciana’s and have done extensive metal hunting over the years, primarily civil war relics. I started with an old mustang about 1980 and finally graduated to a White’s 6000/Di pro.... nearly 30 years ago. It cost me $500 and change at Rich’s coin and gun in BR. It’s paid for itself many times over and is still performs like new. I just took it out Saturday.
    That being said, for someone just getting started, I’d go digital and cheaper. White’s doesn’t make anything low priced that I’m aware of. Garrett has some decent offerings that won’t break the bank but for the money I’d look into the Bounty Hunter detectors. My old backup/loaner detector is a Bounty Hunter and still gets the job done.

This is a good one less than $150.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bounty-Hunte...y+hunter+metal+detector&qid=1620772606&sr=8-5

Academy has bounty hunters in stock... 3 different models. The reviews seem to be ok and all with the understanding its for a beginner or kids. I really need this to be simple enough for him to use and not get me involved. That sounds a bit rough but I do everything else with him... Some things kids just gotta do on their own.

This one is $99 and is analog.
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bounty-hunter-tracker-iv-metal-detector?repChildCatid=119032

$149
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bounty-hunter-quick-silver-metal-detector?repChildCatid=91710

$179 and comes with headphones.. Not sure how important headphones are.
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bounty-hunter-lone-star-metal-detector?repChildCatid=91708

Last edited:

Old School

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    DTR
    Go look at those specific models on youTube. You will get some honest reviews.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Academy has bounty hunters in stock... 3 different models. The reviews seem to be ok and all with the understanding its for a beginner or kids. I really need this to be simple enough for him to use and not get me involved. That sounds a bit rough but I do everything else with him... Some things kids just gotta do on their own.

This one is $99 and is analog.
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bounty-hunter-tracker-iv-metal-detector?repChildCatid=119032

$149
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bounty-hunter-quick-silver-metal-detector?repChildCatid=91710

$179 and comes with headphones.. Not sure how important headphones are.
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bounty-hunter-lone-star-metal-detector?repChildCatid=91708
    The one I sent the link for is the best one for a beginner in my opinion and it could potentially carry him for years if he becomes an avid hunter. He could literally be locating finds in minutes. I do not recommend analog for a beginner, although I prefer it.
    Headphones are a must for the sneak and for otherwise loud environments like beaches. Most detectors have a jack for headphones. Literally all I’ve ever seen have a headphone jack.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    The one I sent the link for is the best one for a beginner in my opinion and it could potentially carry him for years if he becomes an avid hunter. He could literally be locating finds in minutes. I do not recommend analog for a beginner, although I prefer it.
    Headphones are a must for the sneak and for otherwise loud environments like beaches. Most detectors have a jack for headphones. Literally all I’ve ever seen have a headphone jack.

Okay Ill give that one a try. Ordering it now. He has a pretty good set of headphones he uses for his xbox and online classes. I just have to get a 1/4 jack adapter for it. I also have my old E tool from when i was in the reserves that he can use to dig with. That should do him fine and if he wants anything else he has his own money for upgrades.lol.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Okay Ill give that one a try. Ordering it now. He has a pretty good set of headphones he uses for his xbox and online classes. I just have to get a 1/4 jack adapter for it. I also have my old E tool from when i was in the reserves that he can use to dig with. That should do him fine and if he wants anything else he has his own money for upgrades.lol.
    There you go. My favorite probing tool is a makeshift ice pick using a shank of stainless car antenna and a wood dowel. Round off the end so you won’t damage finds. I have a larger wood handle garden trowel by True Value that has been my divot tool for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom