Most Difficult Gun to Reassemble?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Well so far I’d have to say it’s a Henry lever action 22lr. I bought one a few weeks ago and brought it home to lube it before the range. Took it apart and now the bolt won’t go back in. I fooled with it for a couple hours and now it’s sitting back in the box it came in waiting for me to ship it back to Henry for them to figure out. For such a simple design I’m either goofing something up really bad or the gun is defective.
    Some guns need all the internal parts assembled outside the gun with slave pins. Then you slide the fully assembled internals in, and drive out the slave pins with real ones.

J. W. Harris

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 9, 2022
    Zachary, Louisiana
    I've had a few guns that gave me trouble, like the Ruger Mk 2. With that I now just remove the grip panels and douse it with spray cleaner.
    But right now I have a 1936 Remington mod.41 single shot bolt action that I made a HUGE mistake of disassembling the bolt. If I ever get that S B back together again, I will consider myself a master gunsmith. I can see now why a completely assembled bolt cost more than the gun. Oh well, it will give me something to do for the next few years !!
    JW

Keepurpowderdry

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    May 31, 2013
    N.O.23
    Remington Nylon 66-22Long Rifle.
    I personally have never taken one apart,
    Two friends of mine have and bring it up
    as a Reminder once in a while for the last 20 years lol been there with other
    Firearms . I agree with the Ruger MKI’s and MK II’s 22 pistols-Have to have three hands or A third-hand-tool to make it easier,there are Kits available to make it easier also .

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Remington Nylon 66-22Long Rifle.
    I personally have never taken one apart,
    Two friends of mine have and bring it up
    as a Reminder once in a while for the last 20 years lol been there with other
    Firearms . I agree with the Ruger MKI’s and MK II’s 22 pistols-Have to have three hands or A third-hand-tool to make it easier,there are Kits available to make it easier also .
    I was wondering if anyone was going to say the REM. Nylon 66.
    If you have never tried to put a Nylon 66 back together, you don’t know what you’re missing.
    I am amazed at how many people have trouble putting Ruger MK I & II’s pistols back together. There are two parts that you have to make sure are where they need to be to get it to go back together.
    When putting the bolt back in the gun, make sure the hammer is down. The bolt will slide in easily.
    The issue most has involves the hammer strut and the sear spring retaining pin. Holding the gun upright, look into the slot where the mainspring housing goes. You will see a pin that goes across. That’s the sear spring retaining pin. Here is where most people have a problem. The hammer strut will sit on the top of that pin, and when you put the mainspring housing in, you will not be able to pull the bolt to the rear.
    Here’s the secret that the owner’s manual doesn’t tell you. Once you have the bolt in place, insert the bolt stop pin. That’s the larger pin at the top of the mainspring housing that pivots. Once you have it in turn the gun upside down in your left hand, barrel pointing forward, and put your thumb in the trigger guard. With the mainspring housing laying open tilt the pistol back and pull the trigger with your thumb. The hammer strut will lay back toward the top of the mainspring housing, where it goes. With the trigger pulled, close the mainspring housing and close the latch.
    This sounds like a lot, but it takes all of a minute or less to do. I tell people that putting a MK pistol together is like trying to open a door when you don’t know how to use a doorknob.
    If you’re the hands on type, when it comes to learning, you’re more then welcome to come by my house. I’ll show you how to do it, and you will laugh at how easy it is.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I don't know about assembly but a friend has a old French military bolt action rifle and we could never figure out how to get the bolt out of the receiver. I think it was a 1886 Lebel.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Some guns need all the internal parts assembled outside the gun with slave pins. Then you slide the fully assembled internals in, and drive out the slave pins with real ones.
    It turned out the gun was defective. It was brand new just brought home in unfired condition. Henry replaced the bolt and said it was faulty. They test fired it before sending it back as well. After receiving it with a new bolt the action is buttery smooth. It’s ran like a top ever since. Henry’s customer service was absolutely on par with the whole situation. When I originally e mailed them they responded back in 3 minutes with a return label, apology, and promise to fix the gun and they met all expectations. My experience with them so far even though I originally purchased a faulty firearm has been great.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    For me it’s the Ruger MK pistols and the Stoger 12gauge M3K Freedom 3gun shotgun. It’s such a pain I need to put a match saver on it but have been putting it off.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Lots of time it is the ones that others have taken apart and said ahh i give up. Then they just toss it in a box and have Kevin do it.
    Box -Oh-Gun is sometimes the hard ones.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Lots of time it is the ones that others have taken apart and said ahh i give up. Then they just toss it in a box and have Kevin do it.
    Box -Oh-Gun is sometimes the hard ones.
    That’s usually the gems. The guys who don’t know how to put it back together or lose a part and don’t want to fool with it or whatever so they sell it for a nice discount.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Remington R-51
    The Walther P-22 can be a challenge but mine all now have the captured op spring (highly recommended!)
    My 11 year old son can field strip and reassemble a Ruger standard in a couple minutes without fail. I showed him once.

DH Vidrine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    The new Winchester 1885 single shot rifles require three hands to put them back together. Re-assembling the M1 Rifle bolt without the armorer's tool can be a pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom