Most Difficult Gun to Reassemble?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Not sure if this is the best place but seems like. Just Curious what guns where biggest nightmares to reassemble that yall have taken apart.
    For me it was a CZ 82 as number one and a CZ P01 coming in second. The trigger mechanism also made me have to take to a real smith.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    People are going to slam the Ruger MK series.
    In my experience, learning the pistol’s eccentricity outweighs the assembly issues.
    It’s still the most robust .22 platform available for the price.
    Ruger finally fixed this with the MKIV.
    Rant over.
    Flame on.
    Just fill it upside down.
    BTW my dad bought me a Ruger MK 1 in bull barrel with my grass cutting job money. Shot God only knows how many times now

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    In my experience, learning the pistol’s eccentricity outweighs the assembly issues.
    Rant over.
    Flame on.
    I was looking to see who and didn’t have to look too far, lol.
    Once you learn how to turn the gun up and swing the hammer out of the way it’s a breeze. It did take a good teacher and some time to help me get this down when I was a teen. I will always love the Ruger standards.

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    I remember pulling my Dads Ruger mk I apart to clean it & trying to get back together before he found out. I had the manual that helped. Where was u tube when I needed it?
    I did learn a lot. I read a Guns & Ammo writer would get Ruger Mks sent to him asking for reassembly.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Hi-Pernt .45 pistol. When taking it apart for a friend that…why he bought it, I don’t know? Anyway on the back deck during the winter, while taking it apart something went flying and I hear the plop of something landing in the pool. Yep there it was in the deep end. So the process of fishing this little part off the bottom of a 54 degree pool with frozen hands that piece of chit was the hardest pistol I’ve put back together.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Was hanging around a friend’s gun shop when a guy came in with a AWC Amphibian (integrally silenced Ruger MK II) in pieces. I put it back together for him in no time (no magic- I have a large Ruger.22 collection) and told him where to get instructions on how to do it himself. He said, “Nah, I’ll just bring it back here.” I figure why not know how to use and breakdown/reassemble the guns you have?

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My knee jerk response would have been the Ruger Mark target pistols, but the truth is that I've never had much of a problem putting them back together. It just takes time and patience and a steady hand ... but with a bit of practice I've gotten to the point that I can get them back together pretty quickly now.

For me, the worst was a Remington Model 14 pump action rifle. It was ridiculously complicated—both in disassembly and assembly—and I never felt that the results were worth it.

I'd also include some of the really cheap Zamak pistol out there like the Lorcins and the Brycos. If everything isn't just so, they can be a royal pain to get back together. Thankfully, that's usually nothing that can't be fixed with a few passes of a bastard file.

Mike

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    Not sure if this is the best place but seems like. Just Curious what guns where biggest nightmares to reassemble that yall have taken apart.
    For me it was a CZ 82 as number one and a CZ P01 coming in second. The trigger mechanism also made me have to take to a real smith.
    Old SA revolvers and rifles are basically hand crafted. Fitting springs involves cutting grinding and polishing oftentimes. The tolerances of everything stack as you reassemble and many components have been seat together for over 100 years. Even using chemicals to replace components comes at a risk. I would classify the ability to repair or service an antique as more of an art.

Philt1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Lafayette La.
    Rant over.
    Flame on.
    I agree on the MK3 , THATS why I have a MKIV

LouisianaJoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Luling, Louisiana
    I took apart a bolt on a Chinese SKS. I had to make a jig and use the ramrod from a muzzle loader to get the spring back in.

SKS recoil spring Jig2.JPG

SKS recoil spring Jig.JPG

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Well so far I’d have to say it’s a Henry lever action 22lr. I bought one a few weeks ago and brought it home to lube it before the range. Took it apart and now the bolt won’t go back in. I fooled with it for a couple hours and now it’s sitting back in the box it came in waiting for me to ship it back to Henry for them to figure out. For such a simple design I’m either goofing something up really bad or the gun is defective.

Top Bottom