Moving a gun safe

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbadjones

Rating - 96.7%
    119   4   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Natchitoches
    Any tips, tricks, advice? Bought a liberty revere during the black friday sale. Got it off the truck and muscled it into the garage and there it sits lol. I am too cheap and stubborn to pay close to 500 bucks for a moving company to move it 100 feet.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    How heavy? Get a good dolly like a furniture dolly… that’s what I used for mine… depending on what kinda floor those furniture sliders really work great!!!

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Roll it on a bunch of dowels like they way they moved the Easter island heads. It is how I just moved my safe to replace the flooring. Just have to work slow and do not fight anything. If you get to uneven flooring you may need to slide it up on a make shift ramp. My safe weights 800lbs and I moved it with no problem.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Appliance dolly or heavier dollies from a rental place like AAA. Depending on weight and flooring you may need to lay down plywood to protect interior floors. I've also slid some on the lighter end on a flipped over carpet scrap or fluffy door mat over hard floors, but you want that to be really clean to not scratch the floor. This works for the typical ~400lb black Friday sale stuff.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I’m used to working alone and sometimes like a challenge. I moved 3000 lb safe by myself. If you work like an Egyptian engineer you can do it. This one had wheels that moved in one direction. I also used a floor jack under it to turn it. Getting it over a 4“ threshold was interesting though.

Like others said. Get a couple furniture dolly’s from harbor freight and take your time it’s possible.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I rented a safe dolly from AAA rent all. It still wasn't easy, but it wasn't hard either. Got it on and off a small trailer and over a couple of door thresholds. Also, on a smooth floor, I saw safe movers use upside down bath mats. The rubber bottom grips the safe and the fluff glides over the floor.

Baker Shake

Rating - 100%
    0   0   1
    Sep 15, 2021
    Gonzales, LA
    Any tips, tricks, advice? Bought a liberty revere during the black friday sale. Got it off the truck and muscled it into the garage and there it sits lol. I am too cheap and stubborn to pay close to 500 bucks for a moving company to move it 100 feet.
    Golf balls! I’ve used them multiple times to move mine around by myself. Takes several, but as long as you can use leverage pushing on the top to tip it up…you can kick some under it (or have someone roll them under), then feed them back in as they come out the back.

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    I bought a stick of the gray pvc electrical conduit, cut it into four pieces, leap-frogged the PVC. Really only used two pieces, but have used three. Laid cardboard down on the floor to not mark up anything. Use the weight of the door to give yourself leverage when you need it…like, when trying to get it over the step threshold from your garage into your house. Depending on the size safe, you may need to pull your door off the hinges. I had to do that with mine.

Second time I moved it, had a moving company move the safe from house A to house B. But, I already had it moved to my garage waiting on them. They loaded it into their truck with a pallet jack. We used the pallet jack to put the safe right in front of the entry door from the garage at house B. Slid it right off the pallet jack and onto the PVC. Worked like a champ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Get 3 sections (3 feet in length) of 2 inch PVC pipe. Get someone to help TILT the safe while you place the pvc pipes under the safe. You can then roll it where ever you like, on a hard surface.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom