MRE diet?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MonarchC88

Federal NewB
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 14, 2007
    Gonzales
    I know this may sound crazy but Im thinking about giving it a try.

Would it be a good diet to loose weight on? 1 MRE a day with plenty of water and light excercise? I mean, you can get a months supply for like around 80$ and thats what I spend now on fast food and eating at home.

Im not really overweight, but I would like to drop a few pounds and shape up a little.

Anyone have input?

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    All you are going to eat is one MRE a day and that is it? Don't see it happening if that is your plan.

In time you might be able to get to one a day; but that will be one because you have shrunk your stomach and two you are nauseous from eating the same meals over and over.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    It can be done but it takes more than one a day, more like 1 1/2. I've done it myself for weeks at a time in the field, but not months. Eat the bread/cake thing for breakfast, one entree for lunch and the entree from the other for dinner (or if you are lucky, a hot meal for dinner). It's not like we were looking forward to meals after the first few days though.

Oh, and you wont loose weight doing it though. You can live off it, but it sucks.

Last edited:

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    terrible idea, Monarch.

Eat a big breakfast, eggs, grits, bacon, biscuit, the whole shebang...

Eat a lite lunch, your fill of steamed veggies or fruit...

Eat a small dinner, chicken breast or tuna and a salad...

Between lunch & dinner do 30min-2hrs of Cardio exercises. Try Jumping Rope for 30mins broken down into 3mins with 45sec-1min breaks.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    I know this may sound crazy but Im thinking about giving it a try.

Would it be a good diet to loose weight on? 1 MRE a day with plenty of water and light exercise? I mean, you can get a months supply for like around 80$ and thats what I spend now on fast food and eating at home.
    P***y.:mamoru:

How about 2 or 3 a day with medium to heavy exercise?
    Eat the bread/cake thing for breakfast
    Oatmeal cookie FTW.

:)

acme_labs

Purveyor of randomness
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Baton Rougeish
    Most people who get less than 3 meals a day get what I call Camel Syndrome, the body has to endure such extended periods w/o food, it stores it up for later, in a lump/hump.

Garra

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Lafayette
    I did it in Ranger School and lost alot of weight, but of course there was alot of what could be considered excercise to go along with it.

If you do try it, obviously dont eat the damn thing all at one time as someone above suggested. Break it up and spread it out thru out the day or the hunger alone will make you cave in. Even spreading it out though, prepare to be hungry all the time. After about the first 1 to 2 months, everyone I knew dreamed about food.

If you decide to do it, shoot me a PM I can give you some tips on how to make them taste a bit better. They really arent nearly as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    There is only one way to make an MRE taste better.

41SBKPB2VSL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

And when I had to eat MREs in the desert, 2 a day had me put on 25 pounds in 2 months. Eat 4-5 small meals a day, your largest being breakfast and lightest being before bed, and do moderate exercise in the afternoon. Or, think back to high school sports, eat and drink whatever you want and just kill yourself for 2-3 hours a day on the field. You'll drop the weight in 2 months.

WHEELER

Don't Tread on Me
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    eat 3 MRE's a day, make sure the 3rd MRe is the veggie omlet, you will throw up MRE # 1, 2, 3 after that thing

senseibuddy

Black Riflin' & Glock'n
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    st amant
    if you ate 2-3 MRE's a day without living the type of lifestyle that a soldier would be doing to justify eating that much SODIUM, you are going to kill your organs.

Those meals are designed to supplement the extreme loss of fluids, caloires and salt of a solider thats running, shooting, sweating, and digging all day.

not for us avg joes to just eat.

MonarchC88

Federal NewB
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 14, 2007
    Gonzales
    I never went through with the mre diet. After reading around alot more and getting to know the way the meals are made up it wouldn't benefit me unless I was doing plenty of exercise and drink lots of water.

As a side note. I still eat one once or twice a week for lunch at work when there is nothing else to eat in the house.

Top Bottom