My first bow!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Just got my 1st bow and I'm hooked. Just shot it tonight @ 35yrds almost dark and it sticks!

Its a Bowtech "General" with all the goodies!

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Once you get your first kill with a Bow you'll likely never go back to hunting with a Rifle.

I know a decade and a half after my first kill. When you have a deer or hog within 20yds of you my heart still feels like it's about to pop out my chest.

Shooting a deer/hog at 100 to 300 yds with a scope and where it has no way of detecting me?....not so much....

Might as well go west Texas Zoo hunting. :mamoru:

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Once you get your first kill with a Bow you'll likely never go back to hunting with a Rifle.

I know a decade and a half after my first kill. When you have a deer or hog within 20yds of you my heart still feels like it's about to pop out my chest.

Shooting a deer/hog at 100 to 300 yds with a scope and where it has no way of detecting me?....not so much....

I'm amped up to kill something pretty bad!

shooter323

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    south
    Killed first deer last season, broke her neck, she flipped twice. Nothing like it. I put my gun away last year. I shoot a Ross, 60 lbs. Lots to learn. Any pointers would be great.
    Looking at the newest Matthews Z7. Now I am a girl and have been told that 60 pounds is plenty, but I am making a goal of 70 this year. Any thoughts ?

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Killed first deer last season, broke her neck, she flipped twice. Nothing like it. I put my gun away last year. I shoot a Ross, 60 lbs. Lots to learn. Any pointers would be great.
    Looking at the newest Matthews Z7. Now I am a girl and have been told that 60 pounds is plenty, but I am making a goal of 70 this year. Any thoughts ?

Don't push the draw weight. I bought an 80 pound hoyt, and I can pull it back no problem in any position. But shooting repeatedly for practice I get inaccurate real quick. I'm going back to 70lbs.

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA

I disagree here. I LOVE to bow hunt and there is nothing like killing one with a bow. Hell even just having a deer in bow range and not getting a shot is excitement enough. You'll have the whole tree vibrating!! But when gun season rolls around, I'm bringing something that goes bang. If I'm hunting rice bran, sometimes I'll pack both, but I've come home upset, too many times because a big buck walked 60 yards from me and I just had to watch. :wtc:.

Great choice for a bow! Good luck

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Don't push the draw weight. I bought an 80 pound hoyt, and I can pull it back no problem in any position. But shooting repeatedly for practice I get inaccurate real quick. I'm going back to 70lbs.

"DUDE" this is my problem to the "T" ! my draw lb is 70lbs and i think its just a bit much. gonna get it put to 60lb. I get tired way too fast!

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    "DUDE" this is my problem to the "T" ! my draw lb is 70lbs and i think its just a bit much. gonna get it put to 60lb. I get tired way too fast!

If you're new to pulling a bow, start at 60 and work up. It's no different than doing curls or something. Those muscles will get stronger. But also think of this, one time on a real cold morning sittin in a tree a doe came out in front of me. I'm stiff and cold cuz I've been sitting a while. I go to pull back the 80 pounder and every vertabre in back sounded off like a dam church bell. Dam doe ran like hell. Drawing back in you're backyard this time of year and when it's 30 degrees and you're tired from drinking to much bourbon the night before is two different things.

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    If you're new to pulling a bow, start at 60 and work up. It's no different than doing curls or something. Those muscles will get stronger. But also think of this, one time on a real cold morning sittin in a tree a doe came out in front of me. I'm stiff and cold cuz I've been sitting a while. I go to pull back the 80 pounder and every vertabre in back sounded off like a dam church bell. Dam doe ran like hell. Drawing back in you're backyard this time of year and when it's 30 degrees and you're tired from drinking to much bourbon the night before is two different things.

:D I was just having a conversation about lowering the draw weight when i read the post on here and it makes perfect sense.Only been shooting for about 2 weeks. That booze will do strange things to your body.

Top Bottom