My Journey To Blackbelt

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I was going through one of my OLD email addresses and I found a speech that I wrote when I was 12 years old and had to give a speech before accepting my blackbelt. I figured I would share it with y'all.

My Journey To Black-belt
    My journey started alittle over 2 years ago. I had wanted to take Taekwondo since I was about 7 years old, I just never got around to starting. Then I found out that one of my moms friends has a taekwondo school and some people from my school were going there. I went and tried one night and had a blast. It was hard to learn all the forms and one steps , but eventually I learned them. My first time sparring was a lot of fun. We really didn’t know what we were doing besides hitting each other, the instructors used the term “Excessive Contact” a lot and eventually I learned to hit lighter and have more control. At blue belt I went to my first tournament and learned many new things. The judges at the tournament gave suggestions for my form and taught me a few new kicks and blocks. The red belt form took me awhile to learn but the hard part was re-remembering all the white and yellow belt one steps. I like the red belt form more than all the others because of all the spin kicks and many different types of moves. At black belt I went to the tournament in alabama and did a few clinics. I learned that Hon Mu Do with Doctor Kim hurts and ground escape is a lot of fun.
    The black belt form took me the longest to learn, because of the many different moves and stances in it. I would like to especially thank my mom and dad for bringing me to class, Mr and Mrs. Neely for helping me with everything , Mr Insly and Mrs Jophreaon and all the other instructors.

Austin

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Cool! Never made it past first purple belt in Shotokan, seems now they have redone the ranks. Always keep on thinking about going back and getting a belt or two.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I stopped after right before I could test for 4th degree... when they started making changes to everything. I was teaching too much at the time and not doing enough for me. BJJ was always my favorite though. I became an instructor in that and taught it for about a year and a half and didn't really want to go back to TKD.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Why not go back to Hanmundo?
    I will eventually. I am in college right now and with work and school I don't have much time for anything else. I would want to go 5 days a week and get back into it. A Krav Maga place just opened up near my house, but I don't know if I want to pay $280 per month (I think that is the price) for that. Dr. Kim with HMD was awesome and I might go back to learning from him. I want to go into something that is less of sport and more of a 'practical fighting / self-defense' type thing. BJJ and HMD were the closest out of all the martial arts I have studied. BJJ was much more fun though :)

The third title used locally for Hapkido in the past 44 years.
    They are similar, though not exactly the same.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I will eventually. I am in college right now and with work and school I don't have much time for anything else. I would want to go 5 days a week and get back into it. A Krav Maga place just opened up near my house, but I don't know if I want to pay $280 per month (I think that is the price) for that. Dr. Kim with HMD was awesome and I might go back to learning from him. I want to go into something that is less of sport and more of a 'practical fighting / self-defense' type thing. BJJ and HMD were the closest out of all the martial arts I have studied. BJJ was much more fun though :)

They are similar, though not exactly the same.

My Hapkido book written in Korean about 50 yeas ago and used by He Young Kimm probably has the same techniques in it. Are you familiar with this book?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    My Hapkido book written in Korean about 50 yeas ago and used by He Young Kimm probably has the same techniques in it. Are you familiar with this book?

I am not familar with the book. I have not studied much Hapkido, but what I did learn was not really the same as HonMuDo. From what I understood, Dr. Kimm took previous trainings and converted them into something new and 'better'. Nevertheless, I wouldn't mind learning more of both. HMD was fun, it just made ya super sore the next day. BJJ was more of a competitive sport to me than HMD was.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I am not familar with the book. I have not studied much Hapkido, but what I did learn was not really the same as HonMuDo. From what I understood, Dr. Kimm took previous trainings and converted them into something new and 'better'. Nevertheless, I wouldn't mind learning more of both. HMD was fun, it just made ya super sore the next day. BJJ was more of a competitive sport to me than HMD was.

Hanmundo is a kwan, or style, of Hapkido.

But $280 a month?

We only charge $65!

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA

Lately, and by that I mean over the last 15-20 years, several people have tried the "new and better" bit with Hapkido.
    They basically eliminated most of the kicks, simplified the techniques, and got some greedy Korean to "recognize" them as an official style of Hapkido.

Sadly, many of the styles are over-simplified to the point of being useless in a real life encounter.

Tactical Hapkido comes to mind.

I am in a much more traditional style which takes longer to learn but is astonishingly effective.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Krav Maga has a lot of good things going for it.
    It borrows from other martial arts and I think you would have little problem learning it with your background.

But not at that price!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Krav Maga has a lot of good things going for it.
    It borrows from other martial arts and I think you would have little problem learning it with your background.

But not at that price!

Right! I have wanted to try it out for awhile, but it really comes down to the time issue.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Unclee1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    http://www.batonrougekravmaga.com/

$248 a month is what it looks like they are trying to get. I wouldn't pay more than $80.

I'm currently taking Krav Maga and my monthly fee is ~$80/mth. I'm not sure where you found $248.00.

They are constantly having signup specials and are increasing the number and levels of classes being taught. I would encourage anyone interested in taking Krav Maga to check them out.

I'm taking my level 1 test tomorrow...a 6 hr test! Hopefully I'll survive AND pass :)

Top Bottom