My version of the Ideal Cylindrical Adjustable Mould - mostly for Paper Patched Bullets

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Danny Ross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2022
    Bush, LA
    Some time ago I read about an old Ideal product, the Ideal Cylindrical Adjustable Mould (ICAM) in `Paul Matthews "The Paper Jacket.

ICAM 1.jpg

ICAM 3.jpg

I have made several versions of the ICAM, in several different diameters, .22, .270, .308, .357, .44, .45, and .50, (actually a bit smaller, since I use the projectiles mostly for use in paper patching - two wraps of ordinary laser printing paper adds about .012" to the diameter of a projectile)

ICAM 4.jpg

The smooth sided projectiles are ideal for paper patching, and can be made in almost any usable weight. For my .50 muzzleloader projectiles I have made some as light as 200 grains and as heavy as 750 grains. The weight is changed by adjusting the bolt at the bottom in or out, and/or adding spacers above the bolt.

If anyone reading this is interested in reading about my version of the ICAM in greater detail I will be happy to add to this post., just ask.

Danny Ross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2022
    Bush, LA
    That’s pretty interesting. Obviously there are better faster ways nowa days.

how do you release after each cast?
    Obviously? Know of a modern mould that can cast just about any weight bullet? That has smooth sides perfect for paper patching?

Move the sprue out of the way, and turn the mould upside down. Mostly the projectile falls out. If it does not, just tap the bottom.

Danny Ross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2022
    Bush, LA
    You are correct about the infinitely adjustable weight. That part is pretty neat no doubt.
    Not only the weight of the projectile can be changed, but also the point, simply by changing the former punch ( the part that contacts projectile front).
    ICAM 1C.jpg

ICAM 1B.jpg

ICAM 1A.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom