Need help. Found lost racing pigeon

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    167   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I don’t do social media so I’m asking you guys. This little bugger was hiding in my garden this morning and came out to me looking for help. Ate a pile of scratch grains from my hand and took plenty of water. Ordinarily, I’d let her rest up and send her on her way but I’m not a hundred percent sure she is able and don’t want to take a chance of losing some fancier’s prize bird to run around hurt and get ate. Gonna post a link to a Facebook page hoping someone can post these pics and my paragraph here. I’m currently trying to search the club code on the band but I need to hit the sack after a long night.
    If anyone has a minute today and would please help I would so appreciate it. My kids are watching so I’m trying to do the right thing. Thanks for any effort.

Attachments

• IMG_4311.jpeg
      IMG_4311.jpeg
      412.1 KB · Views: 49
    • IMG_4304.jpeg
      IMG_4304.jpeg
      242.8 KB · Views: 47
    • IMG_4305.jpeg
      IMG_4305.jpeg
      353.5 KB · Views: 48

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    There is a lady you can call who might be able to help you out. She runs Wings of Hope, a bird rescue. She's in livingston off of Gum Swamp. Give me a minute, I'll try and find her number. I've done transport for her before but that was years ago.

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    225-698-3168, I believe her name is Leslie if I remember correctly. At the very least she may be able to point you in the right direction

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Looks like the pigeon is out of spring texas. Nsl should be the club name and 1435 is the bird number. Ive had one show up at my house before. Ended up being a lical guy here in walker. Was able to get in touch with him and he came and got the bird.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240628_121558_Samsung Internet.jpg
      Screenshot_20240628_121558_Samsung Internet.jpg
      110.2 KB · Views: 31

fordw60s

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Lufkin, TX
    I had a couple show up at my place a few years go but was told to just let them rest and they will eventually take off back home. I had wanted to find the owners but had no leads here to go off of. They left after about 2 days.

DaggerBlade

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 26, 2015
    Baton Rouge LA
    I have a lady in Lafayette searching. Bud Williams 281-924-5197, president of NSL club, is her go to guy. You can probably call him or wait and I will post whatever info I get from her.

Last edited:

Scrape

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2024
    French Settlement
    Looks like sksshooter has the right path towards finding ownership . Several years ago I found a dubblelegged banded pigeon on a swamp road in French Settlement, la…Feed it up and found a couple racing pigeon race sites. Got schooled on how the racing works,… super interesting and there’s money on racing too. My little Birdie was from Kenner. Brought to a race release site in Memphis. There was a huge storm over north Hammond area, and the bird got pushed off to the West, not making it to Kenner.
    I contacted the owner, very cool guy, told me how it all works with the timmers and homing devices. I let that bird go off airline and hwy 22.

It beeped home on its home base monitor less than 12 minutes later.
    They can fly a surprisingly fast.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    167   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Thanks all. When I woke up this afternoon my little PHD wife had Mr Bud’s number in Texas. He says they do have some guys here in LA and told me he will get back with me Monday morning with contact info on the owner once he can get to his office. He said to definitely hold the bird if I’m able, so we have a guest for a bit unless SHTF comes and I gotta make a gumbo to feed my family, lol.
    Again crew, thank you guys again for always being ready and willing.

Attachments

• IMG_4315.png
      IMG_4315.png
      119.3 KB · Views: 28
    Last edited:

gunnut

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    PA
    A friend's, from my youth, father used to race these birds. He would release them and they would fly in a circle over the neighborhood until he called them back. Did it for years and he had a former LA resident stop buy several times as he was into this
    sort of thing too.

1719670317494.jpeg

Scrape

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2024
    French Settlement
    In speaking to the gentleman owner of the bird I found and cared for, there can be quite a bit of money involved with these racing pigeons. From buying a single egg to a young bird from good bloodline, it’s very much like race horses and the money surrounding that industry.

The bird I cared for had won the man a very considerable sum of money for a 3 year old racer. I was very impressed !

He and I talked for over an hour , him educating me on the racing pigeon community and events,training, care and equipment required as well as how the birds are collected and transported to the race release site and registered/tracked. It was amazing to me. The guy offered a nice sum for my taking care of the bird for him during the 1.5 week stay on my shop while getting feed up and waiting for weather to clear.
    I told him the history lesson I received from him far outweighed a dollar amount for a friggin pigeon I found wandering around aimlessly at me place!

I initially thought I had a diseased common pigeon that had issues, showed up and was walking around my place. I was close to whacking the thing till I saw that both legs had devices attached to them. I almost shot a bird that had won the guy around 25k in its short life to date at the time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sollidus_
    Top Bottom