Need some help/resources with this dojo or style(s) in LA...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    Hey all,

I have been looking into a style for recreation and fitness based on my inability to do strenuous legwork (such as kicking, running, or jumping) and determined that the way of the Japanese sword would fit my physical abilities and personal interests.

As such, I have looked for those teaching Iaido, Iaijutsu, Kendo, and Kenjutsu. Obviously such an art doesn't have much popularity or demand compared to something like Tae Kwon Do, etc. and finding any place that teaches one of these styles is extremely difficult, especially one within driving distance of baton rouge.

I found a Baton Rouge dojo known as Gentle Wind Dojo, that teaches/taught Iaido and Aikido, but the number is disconnected and the site is down. Does anybody know if it relocated, renamed, or if any of the teaching staff might still be available for instruction in BR?

I also found a Kendo course at Tulane, but it seems the instructor hasn't answered my email thus far. Does anybody have any knowledge or experience of these disciplines in the BR-NO-Laf area? Any help would be appreciated.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I've been training with them for the last 3 years. it's somewhat different than any other martial art I've done before especially from a mental aspect. It has a very critical aspect to it that at first you think it's just that the teacher is an ass, but it's really part of the way it has been taught for generations. Don't get me wrong. I started MA back when the teachers wacked you on the head with a knuckle when you screwed up so I can take my lumps. Just different.

The school is sharing space with another school in the strip mall on Sherwood forest across from harbor freight. The other school is a Chinese arts school that was just opened by a professor from LSU. They're not affilliated, just in the same space. The web page for the Chinese school is www.taichiperson.com. If you look in the school schedule you'll see the iaido class times.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Master Rush has studied and is accredited in several kwans of Hapkido.

I believe the Ducotes studied at Gentle Winds.

fastmover

fastmover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    lafayette, la
    I took Kendo at Tulane for a couple years, Frank Anselmo was the instructor and he is great. I moved to Lafayette and driving to N.O. became impossible. If they are still in existence you will be happy there. I lost contact in 2009.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The Tulane Kendo club demo'd at the last Japan Festival in New Orleans and Frank was there so they're definitely still in business.

Top Bottom